Photo

Update W/pics

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#1 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 08:56 PM

Well...

The Thanksgiving holiday has given me an evening to piddle along on the Ozark Northern route. Felt it was time to tackle some of the terrtex/terrain textures. One thing I wanted to improve over what I've used in the past was the water. The two pics below represent my present "keeper" that I'm looking at.

I've cropped the pics as small as I could, yet still retaining the essentials, without resorting to reduction in size (which tends to soften the view). Reason: I wanted you to see the crispness that exists in sim. That so, be sure to click on the pics to expand it to full size.

What'cha thunk??

Attached Files

#2 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 08:57 PM

Last pic for now...

Attached Files

#3 Redwall

Redwall

Stationmaster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 09:02 PM

I love the water! looks excelent!

#4 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 10:01 PM

I couldn't resist throwing in some detail to give the scene a more "finished" look.

Here's a couple comparison shots.

smile.gif

Attached Files

#5 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 10:01 PM

One more...

Attached Files

#6 darkflyer

darkflyer

ATSF Crosstied and Certified

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 10:03 PM

Very nice, I agree that is the best looking water I've seen so far with the routes. Still saving to get Cajon Pass and Teh, though I don't see that kind of water in them knowing their locales. wink.gif

Cheers, Clif

#7 august1929

august1929

Railroad President

• Commercial Vendor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 10:24 PM

Great shots Andre and good textures.

I couldn't resist throwing in some detail to give the scene a more "finished" look.

That is the action of a true modeller. biggrin.gif

Just one thought, the best looking part is to the right side of the trestle where there is some vegetation that overlaps the river edge - perhaps in the more obvious areas some extra bits (grass/log/debris etc) both in and out of the water, masked by larger vegetation a bit away from the track so that sort of detail doesn't ned to continue. Mainly to make the transition from water to grass less smooth.

Just to add some more wacko.gif the upstream edges of the trestle would also catch all the washed down branches and debris, so there would be more rubbish on that side, and the downstream edge would have the wash trail from the supports in the water.

I know - just keep quiet on my side of the pond laugh.gif . Now talking about ponds....

Rodster

#8 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 10:34 PM

Ah, as a Rembrandt is not finished in mere minutes, so to, is this scene not "finis". cool.gif

Actually, there will be terrtex work done for the creek bed using Mosaic. thumbsup.gif

Shoot... it's already looking pretty stinkin' good... but it will be fun to see what I can do for the creeks with Mosaic.

All in good time. biggrin.gif

Edit:

Feeling frisky. Thought I'd place a post over at Train-sim... PRAY FOR ME!! w00t.gif

http://forums.flight..._id=61005&page=

Andre

#9 august1929

august1929

Railroad President

• Commercial Vendor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 10:37 PM

Andre, not just good, but opening the door marked excellent.

Rod

Good luck over at TS wink.gif

#10 chripsch

chripsch

Engineer

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 03:10 AM

Hi Andre!

WOW! Great riverbed!!! Can you tell me how you created it and where you got the texture of the river from as a friend of me are beginning with the rebuild of good old Sandy River 2 foot railroad and I intended also to paint the secondary rivers and creeks on the terrex.

Perhaps you can provide me with some ticks`n tricks!

Great work! Keep on that way!

Christian

#11 S. Weaver

S. Weaver

Dispatcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 03:22 AM

Andre:

Nice. And I just can't get over the motive power on the trestle ... thumbsup.gif

#12 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 07:17 AM

Thanks for the encouraging words, troops! Hopefully I can work some more on the ON tonight.

Christian asked:

"Can you tell me how you created it and where you got the texture of the river from..."

The original texture came from the Ozark mountains. It's a pic of a creek called "West Fork of the White River" and was taken up near West Fork, AR on a secondary county road. I walked out onto the narrow steel lattice bridge to get the shot. I took the pic with a Canon A95 Powershot. The pic was taken sometime earlier in 2005. (Typically, I will take "texture trips" once or twice a year... sometimes more.) After having the raw texture on my hard drive for many months, the time came (last night) to spend some time in my photo shop blending the edges and doing the various doctorings that needs to be done in order to use it as a terrain texture. Truth be known, I've got the hankering to get out and do another texture trip (structures). Wonderful weather around here right now.

Steve said:

"Nice. And I just can't get over the motive power on the trestle ... "

Agreed! All of the engines in this pack are superlative!

However, I DID get your humor of passing over the EXCELLENT and ARTISTIC work done by what is obviously a GENIOUS route builder only to compliment the "back ground piece" that said GENIOUS didn't do. wink.gif

(Of course, if he really WAS a genius, he'd know how to spell it, right?)

erdnA

#13 august1929

august1929

Railroad President

• Commercial Vendor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 09:30 AM

(Of course, if he really WAS a genius, he'd know how to spell it, right?)

sYe I suegs eh dlwuo. teehee.gif

rosteRd wacko.gif

Looking forward to seeing some more shots from the TOC maestro.

#14 S. Weaver

S. Weaver

Dispatcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 01:50 PM

QUOTE(laming @ Nov 23 2005, 09:17 AM)
However, I DID get your humor of passing over the EXCELLENT and ARTISTIC work done by what is obviously a GENIOUS route builder only to compliment the "back ground piece" that said GENIOUS didn't do. wink.gif

Name your penance, O Great One, and I will perform it to show my state of contrition. blush.gif

#15 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 02:04 PM

"Name your penance, O Great One, and I will perform it to show my state of contrition."

The Great Poobah declares that you shall hang out at this forum and talk steam with all of the other steam heads for as long as you shall like.

The Great Poobah has spoken. cool.gif

#16 zhilton

zhilton

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 07:49 AM

Erdna was reported saying:
"Name your penance, O Great One, and I will perform it to show my state of contrition."

The Great Poobah declares that you shall hang out at this forum and talk steam with all of the other steam heads for as long as you shall like.

That's aweful harsh for the holiday season. laugh.gif You'd think he'd been a little nicer about the punishment. wink.gif

#17 S. Weaver

S. Weaver

Dispatcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 02:49 PM

QUOTE(zhilton @ Nov 25 2005, 09:49 AM)
That's aweful harsh for the holiday season. laugh.gif You'd think he'd been a little nicer about the punishment. wink.gif

ZacK:

At least he didn't command me to speak diesel ... that would've been harsh indeed! tongue.gif

#18 TomW

TomW

Dispatcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 05:21 PM

Whatsa "Diesel"?????

#19 chripsch

chripsch

Engineer

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 03:35 AM

Tom: Diesels are this loud diesel-burning steamloco killers introduced
since the 1930s.... pirate.gif tongue.gif

Andre:
Any new pics of your weekend-progresses to share with us? Looking really forward for the Ozarks part II to run wub.gif

Christian

#20 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 11:03 AM

Christian asked:

"Any new pics of your weekend-progresses to share with us?"

Not really. Since the above pics, I have worked on some additional creek textures based on the same texture. I now have two more variations, each with successively rougher water. I am also working on a series of waterfall textures to use in the more mountainous trackage.

"Looking really forward for the Ozarks part II to run."

Unfortunately, it will be a while before this route is ready to go.

Also, once it IS released, I may look at doing a small diesel route in-between this Ozark Northern installment of the Ozark Lines concept and the next installment (Arkansas River & Northern).

Later!