Photo

A&O Sub Update 11/16/04

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
38 replies to this topic

#21 ckawahara

ckawahara

Conductor

• Beta Tester
  • 334 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 05:41 PM

QUOTE(atsf37l @ Nov 17 2004, 04:16 PM)
What about my Nehi?

Make mine an orange....I preferred the cooler boxes filled with cold circulating water...lift the lid, reach in, and stick you hand in...up to the elbow, my bottle was always the one the fell over.... laugh.gif

"Ps: Craig, sorry I butchered your name. "

No prob, you should see some of the ....on second thought, we won't go there....

wink.gif

#22 ChiliLine

ChiliLine

Stationmaster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 05:42 PM

QUOTE(laming @ Nov 17 2004, 12:15 PM)
In V scale, chose the wrong route and you can have miles and miles of "nothing" inbetween weak interest areas. Not enjoyable to me on the long term.

That is indeed a problem for those of us with limited attention spans. laugh.gif

In fact, I think that's why I'm having some difficulty maintaining excitement about my current efforts to link Chama and Durango - there's lots of miles in between the towns, and the towns aren't all that big. As one of the guys noted, "miles and miles of miles and miles." I'll finish it, but I don't think it'll be a huge hit for most folks to run on, unless you're interested in being historically correct and wanting to run the entire distance between Antonito and Silverton. The route has its interesting points - there's some tricky driving to do in places - but it's not going to lend itself well to a 2 hour operating session. Alas.

The good news for V Scale Creations is that I'll be looking for interesting diversions! tongue.gif

Andy

#23 S. Weaver

S. Weaver

Dispatcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 08:42 PM

These fine details are a reminder of what keeps me eagerly looking forward to St.L&N.A. sessions.

Like the butter churn on the porch at Pender. I was in the middle of switching "Hound Dog, Part 2" at Pender, when I hollered to no one in particular, "Lookit the butter churn on that porch!" My thirteen year-old daughter has taken a shine to hanging around when I'm running the NA because she doesn't want to miss anything.

#24 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 09:06 PM

Hebr: ( smile.gif )

Fret not about butchering Craig's name. I just repayed the favor for him. laugh.gif Hookay... down to buziness...

Nehi: Nope. They's done gone by the late 80's as I recall. HOWEVER... rest assured I've already got Nehi posters/signs on the hard drive merely waiting for the correct era: The Lehigh & New England. (How's that for a subtle plug?)

Craig said:

"Make mine an orange....I preferred the cooler boxes filled with cold circulating water...lift the lid, reach in, and stick you hand in...up to the elbow, my bottle was always the one the fell over...."

OOoo! That reminds me... I forgot a little detail I was going to build! I'll get to it just as soon as I'm done getting caught up on correspondence!

Andy said:

"That is indeed a problem for those of us with limited attention spans."

laugh.gif Welcome to the party, pal! Don't take it too hard. I have a feeling there's more simmers like that than we think.

Now, there is MUCH to commend an effort to reconstruct a route for historical reasons, which is the way I interpret what you are doing. Your D&RGW route, when finished, will be a living testimony to the charm and appeal of narrow gauge. You do it for the enjoyment and fun of recreating a piece of history that holds a fascination for you. There are no better reasons to do it other than those!

Bear in mind that I also do this as a commercial venture. Thus, the target route has to offer lots of things, so my "givens" for building a route are different.

Now, IF I were to build my "own" route? Hmmm. My two pre-commerical proto-lanced ventures were illustrating the principle to me that I like things to see and things to do. Soo... I'd think I'd still very carefully select my subject for a route that were to be built strictly for myself.

Steve said:

"...Like the butter churn on the porch at Pender."

The butter churn! NOT the butter churn! ANYTHING but the butter churn! You see, there's a "story" behind that butter churn...

Back when I was first starting in this crazy business... Rich Garber built that for me, and then made a big deal about it being used. "Make sure it's up front so I'll get all the credit", "It will MAKE the route", etc. Absolutely in jest, but needless to say, we both got a lot of fun mileage out of the joke between us.

SOOOOO... now you say it's the BUTTER CHURN???? Dear me... once Rich reads this... I'll NEVER hear the end of that butter churn again!! laugh.gif laugh.gif

(Seriously: It is a very neat little detail that I appreciated the use of much.)

Well... e bibidi bibidi bibidi... that's ALL folks! (Said in my best Porky Pig impression.)

laugh.gif

Andre

#25 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 10:00 PM

Spot the changes?

Attached Files

#26 august1929

august1929

Railroad President

• Commercial Vendor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 11:16 PM

Andre, dunno, but anyway I could sure do with an iced drink it'sthat hot (that dog chased me for two miles before I lost him)!

Rod

#27 zhivago47

zhivago47

Operations Manager

• Invalid Email
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 11:16 PM

Yep, spotted them Andre, but would have been nice to see a flat cooler like the one described by Mr. Kawahara. I remember those well. And mine always seemed to tip over too. I used to like the Nehi Orange and root beer flavors myself. But it is the little things that one doesn't think will be noticed that make for a great route, like the butter churn and there are others I have noticed after about the third or fourth run through the route. See, that's what makes yours and Rich's routes so great. The details. You just get the feeling on these routes that the creator enjoyed making it. And that stands you above the others in my opinion. You both seem to know what makes for a good route, and know it doesn't have to be long to be good, but rather hold the persons interest.
Now, that is not to say that a long route is bad. If it keep the builder interested and he wants to build it, I am sure there are those who will run it. You see we have the best of both worlds here. Fictional and non-fictional, and they can be both good and great to run.
For me, I will get the AO because it looks like a very nice short route to run, but personally I am awaiting the LNE. I know I have a wait, but that's ok too.
Now, personally, I would like to see a route devoted to the later era Steam engines, say the thirties and early forties. Unfortunately most of our good steam engine builders are now gone, but there are some left and some still attempting to make them, so I would just love to see that done at some point by someone. About the only route that is available and realistic enough to have those is Rich's Ohio route and I do run them there. But, I will purchase any route that rates merit with me, and as it stands now, those are yours Andre, and Rich's. Now there are a couple of excellent freeware routes, like the Ft. Smith sub and of course the Ohio Route and a couple others that I have that I like to run, but I am not into long miles of open fields or desert. I, like others, obviously have a short attention span. And I think that most people here do. That's why this area and Rich's area are the busiest at the present.

And I would still like to see a New England route, not Boston area, but northern NE. I think it would be a good route to build. If I could do it, I would, but my one attempt at the RE just showed me that I was in the wrong end of this sim. Heck, I coundn't build a one mile route that would work. I know that.

So hats off to you guys and thanks for keeping us updated with those fine pics, Andre. An old country store may not seem like a lot by itself but in the grand scheme of the route itself, that is what makes the route so good. Small details like the soda machine! Great stuff! wink.gif

#28 Gixxer86

Gixxer86

Stationmaster

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 18 November 2004 - 04:20 AM

Andre,the route's looking great!Doesn't matter to me if it takes a little more time to get it out.I'm not going anywhere.

#29 atsf37l

atsf37l

Railroad President

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 18 November 2004 - 09:19 AM

QUOTE(ckawahara @ Nov 17 2004, 05:41 PM)
QUOTE(atsf37l @ Nov 17 2004, 04:16 PM)
What about my Nehi?

Make mine an orange....I preferred the cooler boxes filled with cold circulating water...lift the lid, reach in, and stick you hand in...up to the elbow, my bottle was always the one the fell over.... laugh.gif

Yeah, with the metal grid inside that the bottles hung from and you had to play 'rubic's cube' with 'em to get the flavor you wanted into the slot with the rocking lock. That's where your fingers'd slip and down went the bottle! Normally the rocking lock would tip just enough to eat your dime and you'd have to pay again!

Man, but they were COLD! blink.gif

#30 pnrailway

pnrailway

Commissioner

• All Aboard!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,395 posts

Posted 18 November 2004 - 10:21 AM

I personally liked the grape Nehi myself. Those old chest type soda coolers were so neet. Remember having to really search the bottom for a yoohoo too! The vending machine that Andre put with this store was becoming the norm by the 80's, even way out in the boonies. Seeing the great details that Andre has been working on is going to make this a route that you will have to run over and over again even in explore mode and still not get a good look at all the goodies he has included.

Paul

#31 scottb613

scottb613

Engineer

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 18 November 2004 - 10:27 AM

Hmmm...

An ice cold pepsi in one of those tall twisted glass bottles - on a hot summer day...

Plastic doesn't even come close....

: )

Regards,
Scott

BARRELS !!! Way kewl Andre... Adds a great deal to the scene....

#32 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 18 November 2004 - 12:12 PM

Re: Ice chest.

Oh, one of THOSE kind of cola dispensers... yeah... there's one of those too.

Here's a pic...

Attached Files

#33 ckawahara

ckawahara

Conductor

• Beta Tester
  • 334 posts

Posted 18 November 2004 - 12:23 PM

I seem to recollect stacks of the empty cases that were used to put empty pop bottles in...

ok, ok I going, enough of the nitpicking already..... wink.gif

#34 woodhous

woodhous

Porter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 November 2004 - 02:28 PM

Back then, what was a plastic pop bottle?

Orange crush, Dreamsickles, Fudgesickles, 5 cent pack of gum, - come to think of it, that was back in the 50's, long before the A&O sub.

Oh my, of all things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

Erik
NE Iowa

#35 pnrailway

pnrailway

Commissioner

• All Aboard!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,395 posts

Posted 18 November 2004 - 02:53 PM

When you were looking back down in that soda machine, did anyone find some Cherry Smash? wink.gif

Oh, and by the way, them there crates, they are over next to the door behind the pump, you just can't see them!! laugh.gif

Paul

#36 TomW

TomW

Dispatcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 18 November 2004 - 04:55 PM

Up here in New England, if ya reach way down in the back
corner, ya jus' might find a coupla bottles of "Moxie"

"Cept up they-a in New Hampsha, they calls it "tonic"

Ay-Yuh

#37 zhivago47

zhivago47

Operations Manager

• Invalid Email
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 19 November 2004 - 02:18 AM

Oh yeah, Tom, if there weren't bottles of Moxie in there then it wasn't a real store. Man that stuff tasted awful but a lot of the older folks loved it.......yech! That's funny because I was going to say that in my last post but thought no one would know about Moxie. He he he! You gotta be from New England to appreciate that. smile.gif

Andre those tires and barrels look awesome, as does the flat coke cooler. You know if you put the pumps a little further away from the front and made a little porch on the side I'd swear that was my mother's store. We lived over the top of it for years. The bad thing about that is when you would get these drunks coming around at all hours of the night wanting my stepfather to open the store so they could buy some. Sometimes he would, sometimes he wouldn't but it was a pain having to deal with that. But got to have a lot of free soda pop and candy. My mother wouldn't let us, my stepfather did though! And of course my first cigarette was smoked out behind the store after helping myself to a pack that was in the storage area. Bad, wasn't I? Oh well, I was young and foolish then. Now I am old and senile. Don't know which is worse. Probably the old and senile I guess. Didn't have these stupid pains back then either. I lived in a town of about 100 people and all were related in some way. And the nearest town to that was seven miles away and not much bigger so we were country, all the way. Which is why I love the routes that Andre does. Just reminds me so much of home.

Keep up the great work Andre..... wink.gif

#38 Longhairedwizard

Longhairedwizard

Stationmaster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 19 November 2004 - 08:59 PM

Great detail Andre!!!!

LHW

#39 boundy

boundy

Stationmaster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 20 November 2004 - 01:22 AM

Andre;

The store looks great. The flat soda machine reminds me of the time I was by drink taken and tried to get a coke out and got my necktie caught in the pull up thing. I was traped for a hour before some passers by freed me. Thank heavens that was then and not now as some prevert would trie to take advantage of the situation. ph34r.gif