Photo

A&O Sub Update 11/16/04

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
38 replies to this topic

#1 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 08:15 PM

Alcophiles:

I'm wrapping up odds and ends prior to placing track objects. The old saying is the devil is in the details, and that is surely true. I forgot about needing a couple semi tractor trailers for placement, for example, so had to whip out a couple of those, then place them. Also some other little bits and pieces needed.

I've also been spending some time tweaking equipment in advance of activity writing.

Progress is being made, but it seems the little things are maddening.

We'll get it hammered out though. I think it would be safe to say I will miss my hoped for target of Thanksgiving. sad.gif

HOWEVER, not by much? I wait with bated breath to see what I'll do! blink.gif

Oh... and below is a pic submitted for your approval... smile.gif

Attached Files

#2 august1929

august1929

Railroad President

• Commercial Vendor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 11:09 PM

Andre, That looks so lived in, just expecting for the mongrel dog to come round the back of the building to bark at me.

No need to rush (up to a point!).

Rod

#3 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 12:16 AM

>Andre, That looks so lived in,

Took several years of trying, but I used to be able to capture such a look with my model railroading... doing so in our V scale medium has proven to be quite a task. It means little tid bits to place here and there. Tid bits = time and lots of it. Got to get the textures, edit the textures, make the model, map the textures, adjust the textures, etc!... then you've got to place and adjust them in RE... over and over again. However, for some sick reason... I ENJOY it! blink.gif

> just expecting for the mongrel dog to come round the back of the building to bark at me.

Pitch'im a biscuit an' he'll be yer friend forever!

> No need to rush (up to a point!).

I hear you on the "up to a point".

I can't take too much longer on this project. It is causing dominoes to fall. However, it has been very enjoyable and, I think, it's going to be a very enjoyable route to operate and view. Upside: A lot of the new content can be tweaked/reused in the LNE route.

Tonight's projects:

* Trial & error adjusted model length and bounding box length parameters on the gondola fleet.
* Ditto the new boxcars received.
* Made another semi trailer.
* Resized and tweaked some existing stuctures that I suspected slightly out of scale.
* Continued placing some of the detail parts I've been making.

As of now, I'm taking a break from working on the textures for a small fleet of 2nd-hand covered hoppers to use for lime loading. Getting ready to call it a night pretty quick though.

Andre

#4 boundy

boundy

Stationmaster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 01:09 AM

Great Poobah;
I don't know how you did it but that Groc. store is identicle to one in Wilson, La on hwy 19. You just need a couple of chip trucks in the parking lot.

HURRY UP

Grasshopper ph34r.gif

#5 zhivago47

zhivago47

Operations Manager

• Invalid Email
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 03:25 AM

Andre, you are doing a great job, and the fact that you are constantly updating us with your progress with pictures and words is also great. But don't feel like you have to meet some timetable, unless of course it is your own for your own reasons. In other words, as far as we, the consumers, should worry about only is that it gets done and gets done right. Whether you get it out before or after Thanksgiving on our end should not have any bearing on what you are doing with the route. Just get it right, and we all know that is not a question we need to worry about. You are stickler for detail and for doing things to the best of your abilities, so personally, I would rather see it at Christmas if it is done to your best abilities than at Thanksgiving and have the route shortchanged, so to speak.
But it sure helps to have progress reports, unlike some other route creators, who will go nameless, and never know what the status of the route is.

Just keep plugging away at it, give your usual daily update messages and we will all be fine with it. wink.gif

#6 pnrailway

pnrailway

Commissioner

• All Aboard!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,395 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 04:13 AM

Andre,

We here in your loyal peanut gallery will wait no matter how long it takes for you to be satisfied that everything is up to your normal high standards. This is not like back in the days in the other scales of model railroading where you are having an open house with many people coming over and you are still trying to get the latest addition to the layout just right as the first person is descending the basement stairs. We all are willing to wait till you feel it is ready, plastic in hand, getting sweatier with each update picture like the ultra realistic store above. Just keep at it, and as Tim says, just keep us appraised of where things stand. wink.gif

Paul

#7 ChiliLine

ChiliLine

Stationmaster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 05:21 AM

QUOTE(laming @ Nov 16 2004, 11:15 PM)
Oh... and below is a pic submitted for your approval... smile.gif

Approved on this end!

My MSTS inclination has been pretty much toward steam - although I've enjoyed seeing the pics of the "big" routes like Cajon Pass, Tehachapi, and Cascade Crossing, I just haven't been able to get excited enough about them to run on them much. But it looks like your new one has the "life" in it to motivate me to actually do some diesel running! Nice work, Andre.

Andy

#8 ckawahara

ckawahara

Conductor

• Beta Tester
  • 334 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 08:44 AM

aaaaaa....just a simple(tons) question, is there enough room between the (I presume front door and gas pumps) for the front door to open to let the dog out to be given the bisquit?

My ol' truck would not be welcome at this station...it drips oil. I have to buy a quart a week.

laugh.gif laugh.gif

#9 atsf37l

atsf37l

Railroad President

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 08:51 AM

I bet I could get a Strawberry Nehi in that place. Betcha. Ice cold. Say, move the pumps out 10 feet so a car can get twixt the pumps and the grocery.

This route is going to be so good I can't stand it! tongue.gif

#10 atsf37l

atsf37l

Railroad President

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 08:53 AM

Aghh! Ckarahawa you beat me!

#11 atsf37l

atsf37l

Railroad President

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 08:56 AM

Can you tell by the way the posts have filled up here that we are hanging on your every post, waiting like vultures in a tree for each new scrap of screen cap from you? Drooling all over our keyboards in anticipation of the next glimpse into the A&O?

Someday we'll all actually get lives! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

#12 scottb613

scottb613

Engineer

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 09:10 AM

LOL...

Actually this is pretty cool... Both Andre and Rich keep us up to date and involved in the Route Building process... Makes me feel like part of the team... Very kewl in my book...

: )

Regards,
Scott

#13 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 09:15 AM

Boundy:

"I don't know how you did it but that Groc. store is identicle to one in Wilson, La on hwy 19."

I was down there last week, took the pics I needed and this is the result. smile.gif (Only kidding.) In actuality, that store came from my own hometown of Poteau, OK!

Tim n' Paul:

Thanks, and I understand the exhortation to not be in a hurry. It's a personal thing. I have to combat the negative of knowing that the longer this takes, the farther away my other projects are. Hard to keep this a hobby, without feeling the need to fulfill obligations ASAP that I feel I've made. So it's a juggling act both mentally and time wise.

Andy:

I guess you're looking at THE very reason that V scale so captivated me: The ability to indulge the many sides of my railroading interests without selling-off/modifying/etc and starting over. biggrin.gif (Which I've done in the past... several times!) Done said it before, but I love the fact that I can point/click... and experience a different region/theme/era/etc!

I will say that I've learned something about V scale, though: Railroading as entertainment brings with it an entirely new set of "givens". I don't think the general populace of model railroaders realize that having to grotesquely compress a theme to fit within their layout space is actually a positive: It cuts out the redundant and focuses on the interest areas. V scale brings with it the ability to model mile for mile. That is a mixed blessing... and can be a curse.

In V scale, chose the wrong route and you can have miles and miles of "nothing" inbetween weak interest areas. Not enjoyable to me on the long term. That was my downfall with such routes as Kootenai, Cascades, and so forth. You run for miles and miles over unchallenging terrain... finally see something "railroad" ahead... only to trundle by a simplistic pass track... and then face more miles and miles and miles... blink.gif (Confession: I've actually fell asleep at the throttle on some of the longer routes!) Spectacular scenery helps to offset mucho miles between interest areas... but somewhere around 5-7 miles inbetween good interest points is my personal sign-off area... my mind goes on dial-tone. The old "simple mind" problem, I suspect. blink.gif

Anyway, things are progessing, though it is small items and tweaks. Hoping to get the equipment all tweaked and ready for activities before the week is out. Guess at that point I can make the "Final Pass" through the route that will determine if it's ready for Track Objects. Next week will be a very busy week vocationally as well as the holiday, so what I can accomplish this week will have to carry me for a bit.

Oh... and here's another pic of the way Berryville has evolved over the course of 85 years since the North Arkansas' 1900's era...

Attached Files

#14 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 09:21 AM

Herb and Craig...

Actually, that pump-to-front arrangment is based on a prototype store in Chester, Arkansas. Their pumps sit right in front of the door and the auto has to squeeze in between the pumps and the road... can't fit inbetween the building and front door! And just like Chester, the pumps in the pic above are supposed to be sitting UNDER the overhang. However, since I've rescaled the structure, I likely do need to move it back a couple feet. Good catch, I will do that next time I'm in RE.

Scott:

I enjoy updating 'cause I like to talk (type?)... so it's a natural extension of my personality. Glad others find appreciation in it.

Andre

#15 pnrailway

pnrailway

Commissioner

• All Aboard!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,395 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 11:47 AM

Over the years I have come across quite a few little mom & pop grocery/gas stations scattered through out the Mid-Atlantic and South East. Some of them have been just about on top of the road and only had room for a set-up like Andre has shown at the beginning of this thread. Some have even still had the gas pumps with the glass tops that filled with gas and outside service bays, some of which eventually had a roof erected to keep the mechanic dry. Others had enough room that they could place the pumps so that cars could go on both sides of the pumps as was discussed. It all just depended upon the amount of room available and if the road alignment had been changed or not.

Andre is in the process of constructing a route that would make the most detail conscious model railroader become envious. Here is to be a route that will, from the shots Andre has so kindly shared with us, be on the same level of detail found in famous model railroads like those by John Allen, Allen McClelland, Tony Koester and George Sallios. Think of how fortunate we all are that within just a few square feet we can have railroads, not just a railroad, that equal, and in some ways in my opinion surpass any of those I just mentioned.

Andre, keep of the great work and we will wait patiently for ever how long you need to complete not only this, but the other routes you have on the drawing board as well.

Paul

#16 BLW_1946

BLW_1946

Commissioner

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,455 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 02:02 PM

Andre,

you and Rich are doing the kind of routes and scenery that I would hope to do if I had the time and talent. Anything you create will automatically make my 'must have' list, hands down...

BTW - there is an article on the seven remaining ex-L&HR C420s in this month's issue of Railpace. Five are currently in A&M livery. I'm really looking forward to the route and its rolling stock. I think it will warrant its own mini install of MSTS...

Tim B

#17 Longhairedwizard

Longhairedwizard

Stationmaster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 04:35 PM

Any pix of the semi trailers andre?...did you do semi-tractors too?....where did you find plans or dimensions for these?...ive looked everywhere...

"Vee half vays of making you talk...mwaahahaha" ph34r.gif

LHW

#18 ckawahara

ckawahara

Conductor

• Beta Tester
  • 334 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 04:40 PM

LHW:

Just my 2 pennies- but Model Road Craftsmen magazine often has articles on trailers that were/are used on flatcars.

Craig

#19 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 04:47 PM

"Any pix of the semi trailers andre?..."

Now didn't that sound pitiful. Poooor little LHW... Billy want to see semi? Say purty please. smile.gif

"...you do semi-tractors too?...."

Nope. Not yet. Thinkin' about it... but not in time for the first release. Perhaps in a future update.

"Vee half vays of making you talk...mwaahahaha"

Eegad! This guy's serious about seeing pics!

Okay, okay... here'ya go...

laugh.gif

Attached Files

#20 atsf37l

atsf37l

Railroad President

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 05:16 PM

What about my Nehi?

Ps: Craig, sorry I butchered your name. blush.gif