Photo

A cab view question

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 FerdyFlyer

FerdyFlyer

Track Layer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 02:38 PM

This is a rather general question, but since it relates directly to a North Arkansas locomotive, I thought I would ask it here.

I see that the cab view for the North Arkansas engines has been built from elements of the Flying Scotsman. Why do these elements have a coarser (lower resolution? ) look to them in the Old #3 engine than they do in the Flying Scotsman itself?

For fun I have messed around with operating #3 using only the gauges available in the cab and nothing directly from the HUD. The gauge representations are very difficult to read and basically the needle position is what is useable. Which is fine for all those fellows (unlike me) who already know their gauges like the back of their hand laugh.gif

The cab also lacks eye candy appeal when it looks like that but mostly I would like to be able to read the gauges. Is there a setting or anything that can make the cab view easier to read or look at? Alternatively, is there a different cab that anyone might recommend for use that is a little easier to read?

By the way this is just a for fun thought and not at all a big deal smile.gif

Cheers,
--FerdyFlyer

#2 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 02:56 PM

Hi Ferdy!

Good observations on the cabview being used. I think this cabview dates back to the very early months of MSTS, hence the use of the European controls.

In my dateless MSTS past, I chose that cab because of its "vantage point". That is, when seated in it, you're looking down the running boards, and the view was VERY evocative of the view I received when running steamers for the Eureka Springs & North Arkansas tourist railroad. Other steam cabviews seem to put you behind the backhead of the boiler, for some reason. I guess I run using the "headout" feature so much, I tend to forget the cabview. However, I certainly am appreciative that cabview exists! I essentially use it exclusively on my small steamers because of that viewing perspective!

Unfortunately, cabviews are not my forte'. Thus, I know of no way to increase the resolution of the gauges.

Now, if you're talking "Eye Candy"... well..... maybe I should NOT have removed Mrs. Roberts from being your Ash Cat... or should that be Ash Kitten? rolleyes.gif

Fear not though! I think Mike Aspey has a cabview version that includes Mrs. Roberts? Mike? Input?

Andre Ming

#3 jbt1024

jbt1024

Superintendent

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 02:59 PM

I also would not mind a desent cabview, the route is eye candy so why can't the cabview tongue.gif

#4 Mike

Mike

Engineer

• Beta Tester
  • 243 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 03:16 PM

QUOTE(laming @ Jun 30 2004, 04:56 PM)
Now, if you're talking "Eye Candy"... well.....  maybe I should NOT have removed Mrs. Roberts from being your Ash Cat... or should that be Ash Kitten?  rolleyes.gif

Fear not though! I think Mike [Apsey] has a cabview version that includes Mrs. Roberts? Mike? Input?

Ash kitten! biggrin.gif Love that. All I posted was the .ace for the left view (packaged with the original left view for back-up).

I'll agree with both you and Ferdy. It's a good view up the rails but the resolution quality of the cab .bmp leaves lots to be desired and as you say, cabs and gauges are a specialty niche within MSTS and those who do them well are cherished members of any design team.

As you said, there are elements of the provided cab file which make tinkering with (hacking) it a dangerous proposition because the .cvf is aliased to your NA_Required folder to prevent duplicating it in all SL&A locos. Good choice.

Without some photos of the cab and skills in the gauge area I think the best I could hope for is that someone would come forward with the needed skills to clean-up the cab. Until then, even when in the cab, I use the HUD and the keyboard but like you, I mostly stick my head out for a breath of fresh air.