Photo

Activity (03) Local To Berryville

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 03:34 PM

Took a look in AE to refresh my memory. In this activity I had set the AI to spawn at Freeman at 9:50.

This means you've got to be moving toward Freeman between Grandview and Freeman BEFORE 9:50.

If not, one of two things will happen:

* If you're still at Grandview switching when the AI arrives, the AI will not have a clear path: Hence he'll stop at the first switch against him.

* If you were switching at Grandview at 9:50, the next/last reverse move you make will send the "signal" to the AI that it's okay to proceed... and you'll "meet him by accident" somewhere between Grandview and Freeman!

Bottom line: Be done at Grandview and on your way before 9:50.

I remember now that this was a juggling act when creating this activity: To try to find a start time for the AI that allows enough time for a "Greenhorn" North Arkansas engineer to get finished at Grandview, yet one that prevent the Hogger that is quite proficient with the equipment/route from arriving at Freeman BEFORE the AI train spawns or being in proximity to SEE him spawn.

I now recall I set him to spawn just a few seconds before I arrived in view of Freeman. And that's WITHOUT breaking speed limits along the way.

See there??? Your ash cat told you ol' Coonskin was the best hogger on the North Arkansas!! laugh.gif

Andre

#2 ChiliLine

ChiliLine

Stationmaster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 05:11 PM

QUOTE(laming @ Jun 28 2004, 02:34 PM)
See there??? Your ash cat told you ol' Coonskin was the best hogger on the North Arkansas!! laugh.gif

No kidding! I thought I was doing great to stay at 19-22 mph heading up to the tunnel and back down into Grandview by 9:33. I actually went over the 20 mph speed limit at the top for a few seconds. Even with that, I didn't get out of Grandview before 9:48 - that would've made a pretty quick run into Freeman to get there "seconds" ahead of the AI train spawning. I am impressed, sir.

Andy

#3 Shaa

Shaa

Motorman

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 06:00 PM

I must be purty durn lucky ( I know its not skill wink.gif ) I 've met every AI right where it was suppose to be (now on #11) Actually its prolly Andre's fault for including the how to part in the manual....I got this puppy nailed now biggrin.gif

Jim

#4 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 06:06 PM

If you got out of Grandview at 9:48, the AI should have been obediantly waiting for you at Freeman.

Please tell me he was. unsure.gif

#5 ChiliLine

ChiliLine

Stationmaster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 03:37 AM

>the AI should have been obediantly waiting for you at Freeman

He was. The only problem was that I didn't pull quite far enough into the wye before he took off and sideswiped me in the caboose. I pulled forward to clear the switch, and the experience must've shaken him, because as I headed on toward Berryville, the last look back showed him still sitting there. I can't argue with the "Artificial" part, but I have my doubts about the "Intelligence." dry.gif

Andy

[edit]
Forgot to do my bit of bragging - I've made it successfully through 7-3/4 of the activities. I'm heading back to the Springs in Activity 8, having completed all the pickups and drop-offs. Just a single cornfield meet in #3, and the "caboose incident" in Freeman, to mar an otherwise clean record, and I might add, both of those were due to the "other guy" ignoring the TOs. The activities have all been very well constructed - I doff the ol' topper to you, Andre, for a job well done.

#6 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 08:25 AM

Whew! Glad to hear things are going okay on the activities. There may be some others that are a bit "tight" on time. blush.gif

There's also going to be some moments in the activities ahead of you that you'll wonder what you're supposed to do... but hang in there... it'll become clear. smile.gif

The side-swipe has me puzzled. The ONLY way that AI should move is if he has a clear path. The path should NOT clear until the last item of rollingstock attached to the player train clears the node of the switch holding the AI.

Andy: Were you creeping along and perhaps came to a stop... then rolled back slightly? (In fact, your engine may not have rolled back, but the slack running to the back may have caused this?) That's the only thing I can think of that would clear up the path before the player train was through the switch.

Yup. THAT one is a puzzler.

BTW, Andy... picking up any ideas to use in your activities? Have you looked in the AE to see how I'm doing what's being done? Any questions?

Sounds like several of you guys are getting the hang of handling a steamer and the physics. That's great!

Andre

#7 zhivago47

zhivago47

Operations Manager

• Invalid Email
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 08:31 PM

Sounds like several of you guys are getting the hang of handling a steamer and the physics

Ok, don't rub it in. But, I am trying. I am just not used to having to do everything myself is all. I admit that I never did that before in other routes or with other activities. But I am getting the hang of it. Am working on number three but will get it eventually. I won't give up until I do. blush.gif sad.gif

#8 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 09:20 PM

Tim:

Don't get discouraged, buddy. Please bear in mind two things:

* I've logged thousands of virtual miles in the cab of virtual steamers.

* I had a huge head start running steamers using realistic physics. These physics first saw the light of day for end users less than 3 weeks ago.

* I've logged untold hundreds of miles on the North Arkansas. I know every curve, every dip/rise, grade, every track, everything. If I can't run my own route efficiently, I'm in bad shape!!

The main thing is for you to have fun! Remember, it's YOUR route on that hard drive... if you want to, skip the set out at Grandview and proceed to Freeman. In other words, let your skills come along with the enjoyment factor. Thank heavens train simming isn't like a shoot-em-up game in where you HAVE to accomplish certain things before the next "stage" can be reached.

Andre