Photo

More coaches

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 august1929

august1929

Railroad President

• Commercial Vendor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 07:29 AM

While waiting for Mike's coaches (and new caboose), I thought I would while away an idle hour...or so...

They're ok in motion, but don't take too much close looking at.

Attached Files

#2 august1929

august1929

Railroad President

• Commercial Vendor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 07:30 AM

Carriage.....

Attached Files

#3 august1929

august1929

Railroad President

• Commercial Vendor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 07:32 AM

And Baggage.....

Attached Files

#4 august1929

august1929

Railroad President

• Commercial Vendor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 07:35 AM

Coaches are courtesy of Bear Mountain Pass RR with StL & NA applied and BMPRR painted out - guess it could have been old stock they bought in...

#5 Mike

Mike

Engineer

• Beta Tester
  • 243 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 07:44 AM

That's great! Good work, and the more the merrier!

I will have my coaches posted this afternoon. At the moment, I am working on the caboose lantern. Research tells me it had two lenses. One red, the other green. When the caboose was clear on the siding, the green lens was turned rearward, and when traveling, the red lens was to the rear, with the green lens outward. There was no lens on the forward side.

Also, I am trying to link the lantern to the headlight's high beam. I know, there's no "high beam" in the provided loco, but that switch should be available for the lantern. We shall see . . . wink.gif

I have the lanterns now with red viewed from the rear, and green to the side. No way to adapt it to green rear unless I provide an alternate .wag file and that's not practical.

Also, there's evidence no caboose trailed the passenger wagons, and unfortunately, the passenger wagons have no rear lights (yet). I will release them without the lights and offer a new .wag file later to fix that, which will be a small download. I will also include two consists for Engine #3, one only baggage and coach, another with baggage, coach, and caboose (for those who want it).

The new .wag file will be provided with my caboose changes, and I want to thank Uli for inspiring me to make these changes to the caboose lantern.

Keep up the good work on the SL&NA!

#6 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 08:31 AM

"Keep up the good work on the SL&NA!"

I'll second that and add a hearty THANK YOU.

In addition to my vocational responsibilities, I'm busy trying to keep up with forums, answer email inquiries, do research on "the next one", etc. It's great to read and see others enjoying the fruits of my labors.

I've been very pleasantly surprised at how much fun it is to see other's tackle projects for the route and read the banter among themselves by those that enjoy a route you've built.

Andre

#7 Ranc0r

Ranc0r

Railfan

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 10:53 AM

Mike,

You are quite correct in that the caboose lanterns would be red to the rear to indicate the end of train, and green to the rear when in the clear (headlamp would be extinguished when in the clear as well). However, several examples of marker lanterns can be found (at least once refined kerosene hit the market) which had red to the front as well as the rear, so that any lantern could be hung from either side. The marker lantern brackets are angled slightly, so without a second red aspect, you would have to have designated right and left markers. Let's face it, train crews are tough on equipment, and ambidextrous lanterns didn't take long to be developed. dry.gif

The purpose of the marker lights (sorry if I am preaching to the choir here) was to indicate that a train was complete, i.e., a part of the train had not separated enroute (a break-in-two condition). Even passenger trains had marker brackets on the "B" end of the coaches, and would have to have had markers to be considered a "train" and operate outside yard limits. Having a forward-facing red aspect allowed the engine crew to look back along the train and see that they weren't missing any cars. It was only when trains began their march toward ever lengthening car counts that the red aspect forward fell from favor. You just couldn't SEE them that far away! blink.gif

#8 Mike

Mike

Engineer

• Beta Tester
  • 243 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 11:22 AM

I will agree completely Dave. Red forward would sure be a handy device for the loco to verify the caboose was still attached in the days before walkie-talkies and cellphones. It also handles the ambidextrous aspect(s) of swapping lantern positions.

As it happens, three light views requires three lights each side (for a total of six)! Each light has to be positioned by hit-and miss, move, launch, tweak, launch, tweak, etc.. Lots'a work to add that third (forward-facing) light each side. Interestingly, although the lantern glass is transparent, a light within or behind it will not shine, further complicating things. I can model a red in front but have already deleted all the necessary numbers. Drat. dry.gif

Still, it's only a .wag file mod so maybe I can do that.

But first, I'd like to attend to the other rolling stock weathering mods and my alternate set of passenger cars.

#9 august1929

august1929

Railroad President

• Commercial Vendor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 01:08 PM

Andre, I have to say the StL&NA is one peach of a route - not least because of the period it models.

It can't help but get anyone with steam in their veins from getting all worked up. It's a visual treat made all the better by the sound of engines labouring up a grade, or the sudden cut in sound when running without throttle.

Pure delight.

Attached Files