Photo

SL&NA Coach Preview

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 Mike

Mike

Engineer

• Beta Tester
  • 243 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 10:23 AM

Withdrawn by author.

#2 Mike

Mike

Engineer

• Beta Tester
  • 243 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 01:06 PM

Withdrawn by author.

#3 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 01:14 PM

Ooo! Love the caboose for sure!

Andre

#4 Mike

Mike

Engineer

• Beta Tester
  • 243 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 01:47 PM

Withdrawn by author.

#5 zhivago47

zhivago47

Operations Manager

• Invalid Email
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 11:00 PM

Mike, I hope you don't get upset with me for this but if you do then I apologize. This is in now way intended for comparison purposes other than to show how two people can use the same cars (and we didn't have much choice given the time period) and come up with two different versions for the same line. And yet still have a similarity to them. This is from shape file viewer so not exactly the best way to view this car but haven't finished the others as yet. These, unlike Mikes, will no doubt stay on my own computer. At least for the time being. I certainly am not in competition with him here. And again, I don't mean to take away or do anything to cause problems in this thread by posting this here. It is only meant to show how two people can have different ideas about cars for the route using the same model. I think it is interesting that while they are different, there are many ideas that are the same. Again, if I am out of line here for posting this then I appologize. Certainly not meant to distract from your fine work Mike.

Attached Files

• Attached File  NA9.jpg   44.75KB   0 downloads

#6 Mike

Mike

Engineer

• Beta Tester
  • 243 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 03:41 AM

No worries at all Tim. Repainting (reskinning) is a wonderful part of this hobby which can be every bit as enjoyable (and frustrating) as route building, 3D modeling, or running difficult activities skillfully.

What I do, I do for my personal enjoyment also but enjoy packaging and sharing them off the main archive sites too. Seeing my re-skins in other's screenshots is the ultimate compliment.

There are only a few existing pieces of rolling stock which fit this period and so the reskinning work of others can't help but look similar in overall appearance to what I'm doing and that's expected and no problem whatsoever. It's the little things I most enjoy i.e., adding molding to the lower edge of the cars.

So post away, my friend. The more the merrier. If what I do inspires others to paint too, I am happy.

#7 zhivago47

zhivago47

Operations Manager

• Invalid Email
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 09:46 PM

Thank you sir for that. I appreciate it. You know I have had these cars forever it seems but have lost the readmes to them. Do you know who did them originally? Just in case someday I decide to upload them, want to make sure I have permission to do so. However unlikely that is. Lately, I don't upload much to TS for reasons I would rather not get into. I will, however be having my own site soon and although it will be for fictional RR's I may make a set of these available for those who want them. I had these on disk and cannot seem to find the originals anywhere. Since it is almost impossible to get on TS, I don't know if they are still available for download there. If they are then just tell me that. I will try to redownload them in order to have the readme files.

Thanks Mike. Your cars are certainly very well done and I may download them myself. I will at the very least get your fine looking cabeeses! wink.gif

#8 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 10:58 PM

"although it will be for fictional RR's..."

Fictionals are fun!

Look how much fun the Canton boys are having!

Me thinks this is a big tent with room for everyone.

Andre

#9 jbt1024

jbt1024

Superintendent

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 11:02 PM

Fictional Is fun, I also Part of the Canton Gang, and I can't stay in a tent, to many Moquitos rolleyes.gif

#10 Mike

Mike

Engineer

• Beta Tester
  • 243 posts

Posted 26 June 2004 - 03:45 AM

QUOTE(zhivago47 @ Jun 25 2004, 11:46 PM)
Do you know who did them originally? Just in case someday I decide to upload them, want to make sure I have permission to do so.

Tim, as credited in my ReadMe, these are John Fowlis cars. Several people have re-skinned them but the core cars are John's.

John is a prolific modeler. A search on his name, will find several re-skins of these coaches—among many other things. If you'd rather search with a filename, try dr_c1.zip which is the one I used to fetch John's cars.

The ReadMe included with dr_c1.zip credits John for the cars but says little else relative to John. The default SL&NA is exclusively John's rolling stock anyhow (including the loco), so it seemed logical to stick with that program.
--
Mike

#11 zhivago47

zhivago47

Operations Manager

• Invalid Email
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 26 June 2004 - 09:40 PM

Thanks for that information Mike. I should have known that. I have so much of his stuff anyway that I should have guessed that. John Fowlis is certainly one of the most prolific modelers we have ever had and I must say did a very good job with most of them given the time frame that they were done in. I can just imagine what he could create today with what is now available, but if not for people like him, todays work may not be what it is.
As a huge steam fan I am ashamed that I did not think of that. As much stuff as I have of his on disks scattered everywhere.

Anyway, Mike, thanks for loosening my brain a little there. If I can ever get on TS again to download the files I will. But, like I said, these may and probably will never see an upload site so it probably is a moot point anyway. I will run them from time to time just for something different to do on my own computer. Probably where they belong anyway.

By the way, got your cabeese and have already run it and love the lantern. Really looks nice. Thanks for that.