Photo

Arrived Today!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 SCL

SCL

Motorman

• Beta Tester
  • 85 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 11:12 AM

Well, the St Louis & North Arkansas RR arrived today in the UK! Very impressed with the quick processing of my order, and from what I've seen so far in explore mode, I'm sure I'm gonna love this route!

The only minor quibble I have so far is the fact that most of the rolling stock I've seen so far doesn't quite sit on the track quite right - but it's more than made up for with the rich attention to detail.

Excellent work Andre, and thanks again for the quick turn-around.

Cheers
Ken
BTW - just a question: In the first activity the gnarly ol' engineer points out Mini-Ball Mountain on the right. Is this an historical/geographical fact (getting its name from the Civil War)?

#2 Bananarama

Bananarama

The Big Kahuna

• 3DTrains Admin
  • 8,103 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 11:21 AM

Hi ya' Ken - how's it hangin'? smile.gif

Cheers!
Marc

#3 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 12:20 PM

> Well, the St Louis & North Arkansas RR arrived today in the UK!

Super! Now you can join in the fun!

> Very impressed with the quick processing of my order,

I aim to please. biggrin.gif

> and from what I've seen so far in explore mode, I'm sure I'm gonna love this route!

Great! I'm glad you're liking it!

> The only minor quibble I have so far is the fact that most of the rolling stock
> I've seen so far doesn't quite sit on the track quite right -

I was thrilled to be able use that equipment pack. Though a bit dated, it's about the only stuff that's available for such an era. Trust me, it's TOUGH to build a 1900's route and equip it with objects and trains! Wonder if that ride height can be adjusted without the access to the dst files?

> but it's more than made up for with the rich attention to detail.

Thanks! I hope you get as much enjoyment out of the North Arkansas as many of the others are!

> Excellent work Andre, and thanks again for the quick turn-around.

You're more than welcome and thank you for purchasing it, Ken!

> BTW - just a question: In the first activity the gnarly ol' engineer points
> out Mini-Ball Mountain on the right. Is this an historical/geographical
> fact (getting its name from the Civil War)?

Yes. That is factual.

All historical info conveyed during activities is FACTUAL of the region.

In addition, most of the CHARACTERS are based on actual railroaders I've known or worked with, including their personalities. "Sarge" is real. "Pic" is real. etc.

When you run the activities on the North Arkansas, you really will be getting to "live inside" the world of railroading, either through my experiences or others I've known, etc! (Adjusted to reflect the era, of course!)

Andre Ming

#4 SCL

SCL

Motorman

• Beta Tester
  • 85 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 02:11 PM

Hi Marc!

Well, it's hanging a bit weird at the mo, but maybe that's because of the weather! LOL!!!! laugh.gif blush.gif How's things with you? BTW Love the new Beta F4!

Hi Andre!

Regarding the wheel/track height issue, I thought I remembered someone mentioning (somewhere - Ottodad?) that this could be adjusted, but I guess that's tinkering with copyright files?

Just on another point (and trying to be a smart-ass at the same time!), I just wondered if the Mini-Ball reference was originally because of the Minie bullet that was in common use during the Civil War. Then through local usage over time and parlance it got commonly referred to as "Mini"? Ok - shutting up now. Yawn!

Cheers
Ken

#5 zhivago47

zhivago47

Operations Manager

• Invalid Email
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 08:11 PM

I just wondered if the Mini-Ball reference was originally because of the Minie bullet that was in common use during the Civil War. Then through local usage over time and parlance it got commonly referred to as "Mini"? Ok - shutting up now. Yawn!

That's exactly correct Ken. That is how the name came into being. By the way, if there is a cure for this I don't think that either Andre or the creator of the engine or rolling stock would have any problem with it being corrected, if you or Ottodad has one. I am not speaking for either of them but don't think they would object to a fix for it. Do you Andre? I would think it would be a good thing. I noticed this immediately too, but I have ignored it because the route is so great and so much fun to run that I can deal with small things like that. Besides, trying to learn how to run these engines properly keeps me much too busy to look at the slight lift of the wheels off the tracks.

By the way, also nice to hear from you again. Been too long. We need to hear from you more often. What have you been working on lately? Or is that a secret?

#6 uli

uli

Engineer

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 12:08 AM

QUOTE(SCL @ Jun 21 2004, 10:11 PM)
Regarding the wheel/track height issue, I thought I remembered someone mentioning (somewhere - Ottodad?) that this could be adjusted, but I guess that's tinkering with copyright files?

Hi Ken,

you should be able to adjust the vertical distance of a model to the tracks using "Shape File Manager". Here you can find a good description. But I have to confess I have not tried it myself. wink.gif

Cheers,
uli

#7 SCL

SCL

Motorman

• Beta Tester
  • 85 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 12:20 AM

Hi Tim!

Thanks for those kind words..... although I confess I've not been up to much at all lately - just drawing lines in the dust sort of thing! laugh.gif But it's given me time for play - just right for exploring the St.L&NA and others. Usually I only load a route to try out one of my latest offerings! blink.gif

Thanks Uli - I think that's the thread I was thinking of. I've never tried it either. I remember the wheel/track height problem was/is an issue with some of MLT's Heritage products as well. I think someone also mentioned that it was down to the track that was used too - I bet if this stock is run on the standard Kuju stuff it will sit better. Hmmmmm.... time for experimentation methinks! wink.gif

Cheers
Ken

#8 zhivago47

zhivago47

Operations Manager

• Invalid Email
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 09:28 PM

I bet if this stock is run on the standard Kuju stuff it will sit better. Hmmmmm.... time for experimentation methinks!

I think you are right Ken. I seem to recall a thread that mentioned MLT's stuff and that the reason for it was the trackage being used. Could be the case here as well. Let us know what you come up with. I would almost bet though that you are right and that running it on the basic Kuju tracks would set it down correctly onto the tracks. But I also vaguely remember a fix for this. Perhaps it was by using Shape file manager. I don't recall but I am sure someone will have the answer, if you don't get it first.

Again, very nice to hear from you again Ken! Always enjoy your work.

#9 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 09:34 PM

Guys:

The track is default that's been retextured. To use anything else means tsection.dat issues for the developer.

Being default, it sits at default height.

The shape file for the car sits a bit low.

Andre Ming

#10 zhivago47

zhivago47

Operations Manager

• Invalid Email
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 09:51 PM

Thanks for that Andre, actually though I thought it was the other way around and was sitting too high. Perhaps it was just my camera view point. Other than that really haven't noticed it being incorrect. I will have to do a test run and see again if it was just my camera view. No doubt that could have been the case. In any event, not a big deal. Most of the time I don't have time to see it anyway, got my hands full enough just trying to keep my speeds down. Just gotta remember where that 30 changes to 10 mph. That seems to get me every time. I need to learn the hub better methinks!

#11 SCL

SCL

Motorman

• Beta Tester
  • 85 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 12:12 AM

Hi Guys

Well, last night I experimented with the Caboose and Shape File Manager. I thought I had got it about right at last - until I set the train in motion in the sim, and found that found for my pains I had got egg-shaped wheels!! laugh.gif Didn't matter what I did, altering the X and Y dimensions, and even tried the Z, it ended up the same way. There is some oldtime stock that DOES sit on the rails nicely though. I have a consist made up for the old V&T "Inyo" that includes 40' boxcars, flats and a caboose, and the flats and caboose sit ok. I guess I can try doublechecking with those?

But Tim's right anyway. You spend so much time concerntrating on driving that the '4' view gets rarely used anyway!! biggrin.gif

Just love this route!

Cheers
Ken