Photo

So How Far Have You Got??

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
29 replies to this topic

#21 atsf37l

atsf37l

Railroad President

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 12:47 PM

Andre sez:

Cornfield Meets - In some rare cases of timing (if you're running late), if you do a reverse movement once an AI is active and waiting at a distant point, your reverse move may signal to him "all is okay" and away he'll go

On the RGS we called 'em "smoke orders" - See smoke coming, head in quick! Nice to see the AI guys make mistakes just like the real crews! Now, was it crew error, or a did the dispatcher issue a lap order? Hmmmmm. rolleyes.gif

"Jump, Sim, Jump!" Or I should say "Jump, Otto, Jump!"

Then he sez:

As for speedometers: Come to think of it, I don't recall there being one in the steamers I ran on the ES&NA...

One thing MSTS lacks is the sensory perception of the real McCoy. The seat of the pants and the wind passing the cab window are better indicators to most ol' heads than any speedyomometer any day. laugh.gif Hard to get the same effects from a HUD.

Herb

#22 ChiliLine

ChiliLine

Stationmaster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 05:33 PM

QUOTE(laming @ Jun 22 2004, 07:14 AM)
Cornfield Meets - In some rare cases of timing (if you're running late), if you do a reverse movement once an AI is active and waiting at a distant point, your reverse move may signal to him "all is okay" and away he'll go. 

On New Hire #3 - the Eureka Springs to B'ville local - the problem is that the AI (Alabama Ike - can't be Arky Ike in these parts! tongue.gif ) has a start time that doesn't allow much in the way of inefficiency getting into and out of Grandview. I think that what happens is that Ol' No. 3 is on the King River Tie spur when Ike's ready to roll, and he sees the line as open for business. There aren't any reversing points on this part of the run that will trigger the AI train to start, so I'm thinking that you need to be on the main at any time after Ike's start time.

The second time I tried this activity, I didn't set the brakes very well on the rest of the train, and had to go back and pick it up blush.gif , putting me well behind schedule. I thought I'd wait on the passing siding for the northbound extra to pass by, but wouldn't you know it - she gets to the switch and stops, and there's nothing I can do to get her out of the way. mad.gif

So it's back to the last saved version and try it again. Finally got through with the switching and back on the main before the critical time, and was off to Berryville without incident. Or almost.

When I got to Freeman, the northbound was waiting for me as advertised. But I slowed down too much on the wye, and he (Alabama Ike) started heading out before I cleared the switch, nearly sideswiping me! I pulled ahead a bit, and actually had to push Ike out of the way a bit. Once I cleared the switch, he just sat there. So rather than backing up for water, I just headed on to B'ville, and the last look back I had, Ol' Ike was just sitting there, apparently afraid to move at all. Unfortunately, I hear he's a nephew of one of the big stockholders, so he probably won't get fired.

All in all, having a lot of fun with it! biggrin.gif

Andy

#23 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 07:02 PM

Amazing the variance some of you are getting in the AI interaction.

Right you are Andy. The player needs to be in en route to Freeman on the main line leaving Grandview before the Extra waiting at Freeman is activated/spawned. Thus, with the player path occupying the main, the Extra will continue to wait until you arrive and clear at Freeman before heading out... or should!

The timing on that activity is a bit tighter than I realized, given the inexperience factor.

Thought I was giving adequate fudge factor... guess I've chalked a TON more miles on this route than I realized!!!

Oh well... like your crew keeps tellin' 'ya: Ol' Coonskin's the best hogger on the entire North Arkansas! laugh.gif

Andre

#24 zhilton

zhilton

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 09:01 PM

Well "ol' coonskin" ought to be the best...he's old enough to be grandpa. Not to mention been pushing that railhead with Frisco #2679 for the last couple of years. wink.gif

#25 FerdyFlyer

FerdyFlyer

Track Layer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 02:17 PM

Well I am still puttering around with Activity 3. I have pretty well flattened several acres of corn by now laugh.gif

I tried to outrun the AI going backwards once....that didn't work ohmy.gif

Another time I pulled up and backed into the passing track then pulled forward onto the mainline. Figured maybe the AI would zip around me. He pulls up and stops outside the switch and waits for me like that mad trucker in The Duel. I move forward a little then then the smokes comes out of his stack and he starts moving towards me. Some how are another he snuck the switch back his direction so here he comes. All was relatively slow though, so we just go head to head without any dire consequences. All in all in the end that approach didn't work out either cool.gif

I saved the activity before arriving at Grandview and am now pretty quick on the switching but it still doesn't save me. I think I lost too much time making the run up to Grandview in the first place. I think I will just have to keep starting over from scratch until I get good enough to get up to Grandview with enough speed to allow time for the switching moves smile.gif

So if you all will pardon me, I gotta cut this short so I can go back down the hill and try it again biggrin.gif

--FerdyFlyer

#26 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 02:34 PM

Eeek!

Seems like I've got the timing too tight in Act #3.

After I finish some sundry "work" this evening, I'll try to take a look at it and see what I can do.

Andre

#27 FerdyFlyer

FerdyFlyer

Track Layer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 05:08 PM

Yeee Haww, Activity 03 is history laugh.gif

9:50 seconds to AI spawn you say! I had finished the switching and was backing down to the cut with the two cars picked up in the siding.......with a minute 50 seconds to go. This is the point from which I could never seem extricate myself.

Due to my questionable braking abilities I was holding on to it entirely too much and going too slow each time when going back to pick up the rest of the train. I was still on a backward roll when 9:50 came to pass. So I let'er roll a little quicker this last time and held off on the brakes a bit longer.

I may have broken a few eggs in the coupling but........Shazaaam! You shoulda seen me wav'un to all the pretty girls when coming into Berryville, why I even tooted the whistle an extra time or two rolleyes.gif biggrin.gif

Ok, enough of this tomfoolery, back to work! wink.gif

--FerdyFlyer

#28 dkunath1

dkunath1

Mechanic

• Valued Customer
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 10:08 AM

Andre,

I have watched the progess of STL&NA with fasination. Great route, an understatement; and the activities with realistic phsyics, great sounds and the many varied grades are so real and so much fun. You and Rich are at the top when it comes to routes and activities, tho Skyrat can't be beat at the later.

I finished the activites several days ago and enjoyed them more than I can say; will repeat after finishing Skyrat's new activities for Canton. I really liked the "flimses" along the way too, more would be even better. I thought The Hound Dog Pt 2 was the most difficult, some tough switching on those grades. There was no meet at Beaver in Hot Footin' It, while the other 2 meets did occure.

It would be nice to know what the tonage capacity of the loco is for the various grades and what the tonage the loco is pulling in the various activities. It would also be nice if the work orders could be printed out. Finally, with the great realistic physics, it would be nice if the comsumption of coal and water were also realistic and really required you to stop and filler er up; it is annoying to have to stop for water when the loco is almost full. I think the most water I used in any of the activites was only aroung 600 gallons, and coal consumption was also very low.

Minor nick picking aside, love the route and am looking forward to its expansion as well as to the proposed next route.

Dwayne

#29 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 01:51 PM

Hi Dwayne, thanks for the uplifting words. I'll see if I can offer some input...

> There was no meet at Beaver in Hot Footin' It, while the other 2
> meets did occure.

I think I recall the path/time fo that AI meet being narrow, thus if the player timing isn't within a certain window, the AI will either have spawned/arrived/dissolved prior to if the player arriving if running late. Could be that, or... you arrived SO early, you gave up and moved on before the AI parameters kicked in?

> It would be nice to know what the tonage capacity of the loco is for the various grades
> and what the tonage the loco is pulling in the various activities.

The only "known" I had to work with was on the 1.75% grades. (Junction to Tunnel, for example.) I tried to adjust the values of the engines to be compatible with the known data I have for those engines. I intended to put that information in the Manual, but it slipped past me. Below you'll find what the protoype engines are rated for on 1.75%. The models follow closely pulling models that are reasonably accurate in weight/mass.

Engine #3: 396 tons
Engines #4,5: 472 tons

BTW, the SLSF 2679 loco is of older vintage than any of the StLNA loco's, so I went with #3's ratings for it.

> Finally, with the great realistic physics, it would be nice if the comsumption of coal and
> water were also realistic and really required you to stop and filler er up;

It would be nice. It was certainly considered, but there were several "gotcha's" that reared their heads and such was set aside.

Glad you've been enjoying the route and activities! Maybe one of these days, I'll get the time to take a look at SkyRat's activities to see what his approach is. Frankly, I haven't really run a lot of activities created by individuals other than those supplied with my commercial routes I've purchased. My approach was to attempt to incorporate my real life experiences and/or railroading friend's experiences (adjusted to suit the era) into the activities as best as is possible given the confines of AE.

Andre Ming

#30 dkunath1

dkunath1

Mechanic

• Valued Customer
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 10:12 AM

Andre,

I was more likely late rather than early for the meet at Beaver. Thanks for the info.

Dwayne