Photo

Old #3 Gets A Makeover

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

#1 Mike

Mike

Engineer

• Beta Tester
  • 243 posts

Posted 20 June 2004 - 09:21 AM

Sorry, I can't add attachments with an edit. There were pictures, but oh well. sad.gif

--
Mike

#2 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 20 June 2004 - 10:13 AM

I like your changes! The window tint is nice.

Sure would have been nice to have coal instead of wood, but I had to work with what I had.

BTW, remember that "ol' #3" was less than a year old during the era I modeled. #'s 4 and 5 were brand spankin' new!

The freight cars could use some weathering, for sure. Was intending to do that...

Andre

#3 Mike

Mike

Engineer

• Beta Tester
  • 243 posts

Posted 20 June 2004 - 10:50 AM

Happy you approve of the work so far André, even though my screenshot doesn't show the changes all that well.

Adding a coal texture from my extensive collection is no problem, but it requires a new shape file as I'm sure you know. As expected, it looks unreal wrapped onto a woodpile shape. dry.gif

I'll be with houseguests (I have 5 grown kids) most of this day but I'll continue this project when the smoke clears. smile.gif

I'm still amazed by your stellar .eng file, its linked and superior sounds, and that most wonderful whistle with it's built-in little ending "toots" if you release it at just the right spot in the blow. Two thumbs-up for those little extras from a steam groupie! wink.gif

All those little nicities make working in Photoshop on the appearance a worthwhile investment to me.

#4 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 20 June 2004 - 12:38 PM

Bill Hobbs did the physics calculations, I merely tweaked them "in sim". I also did some other odds and ends in editing, but the lion's share of the work was Bill's.

The excellent sounds package is the work of Soundmeister Stuart Williamson. I've very fortunate to have been able to include his work. About all I did was a few editing changes to point this there, and that over here, that sort of thing. Stu be da' man!

Andre Ming

#5 zhivago47

zhivago47

Operations Manager

• Invalid Email
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 20 June 2004 - 10:30 PM

I have never had some much fun tooting a horn as I have with this horn Andre, and you know how much I like and have run steam engines. Fanastic sounding horn. I really love it, and the bell is great too, so my congrats for getting someone like Stu to do this for you.

Mike, you are doing a great job from what I can see. There is absolutely nothing wrong in doing what you are doing as far as I can see. I think it is great. I have been thinking of doing something along the same line but for myself only. It really depends upon what you put out at this point. I was thinking of doing some weathering on the packages if I was to make them available for everyone and then perhaps creating my own engine reskins, just something I like to do, as Andre well knows, just for myself. But I will wait for yours to be finished and see. I see nothing wrong with offering a variety of packages for the route. Won't cost anyone anything and they might like one better than another or might want to mix and match them. Actually, I think I would probably prefer to work on the freight cars more myself so maybe I will start on them unless that is in your plans as well.

I just hope Mike that you are having as much fun with this route as I am. Isn't it great?

#6 Mike

Mike

Engineer

• Beta Tester
  • 243 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 06:10 AM

Tim, do not let anything I may or may not do to weather the SL&NA engines and/or rolling stock affect what you do with them. I make no promises in any case.

If repainting and/or weathering are things you enjoy doing, knock yourself out.

Enjoyment on the SL&NA route for me is multi-faceted.
  • Learning to (properly) operate the engines with their prototypical .eng files is challenging and enjoyable.
  • Drinking in the eye candy is enjoyable.
  • Learning the ups and downs, twists and turns of the route is challenging and enjoyable.
  • Tossing the track monitor and relying on a double-stroke of the F5 HUD is enjoyable.
  • Leaning most on the prototypical views from the cab, and watching for track speed signage is enjoyable.
  • Blowing the whistle to chase deer is fun.
  • Slowly and deliberately reading the well-written .pdf documentation is enjoyable.
And when I'm good at all of the above things and feel I can control the engine(s), I'll take a whack at some advanced activities. For now, Activity #1 seems a great place to practice my engine skills and learn at least part of this fine route.

#7 Mike

Mike

Engineer

• Beta Tester
  • 243 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 11:52 AM

Content removed by author.

#8 Bananarama

Bananarama

The Big Kahuna

• 3DTrains Admin
  • 8,103 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 12:14 PM

QUOTE(zhivago47 @ Jun 20 2004, 09:30 PM)
I have never had some much fun tooting a horn as I have with this horn Andre

There goes Tim - tootin' his horn again! laugh.gif

Cheers!
Marc

P.S.: It's Pick on Tim week, and it's now only Monday. smile.gif

#9 Bananarama

Bananarama

The Big Kahuna

• 3DTrains Admin
  • 8,103 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 12:15 PM

QUOTE(Mike @ Jun 20 2004, 08:21 AM)
I couldn't help but feel it needed a few pounds of fairy imperfection dust.

Mighty fine work, Mike - mighty fine! smile.gif

Cheers!
Marc

#10 Mike

Mike

Engineer

• Beta Tester
  • 243 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 01:32 PM

Attachment photo deleted and I can't put it back. I am not authorized. Sorry.

--
Mike

#11 zhivago47

zhivago47

Operations Manager

• Invalid Email
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 08:00 PM

Again, very nice work Mike. Some weathering makes old number three look more realistic.

OK, Marc, thank you very much......only Monday. You mean I have the rest of the week to accept this punishment? What did I do to you?

See, everyone, I get no respect around here. sad.gif

Humpphhh! ph34r.gif

#12 atsf37l

atsf37l

Railroad President

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 12:14 PM

Is is just me or do those cabs need to be a foot or so wider? I love the lines of the engine but it seems like the cab is really tall and narrow. huh.gif

Herb

#13 Mike

Mike

Engineer

• Beta Tester
  • 243 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 12:23 PM

QUOTE(atsf37l @ Jun 25 2004, 02:14 PM)
Is is just me or do those cabs need to be a foot or so wider? I love the lines of the engine but it seems like the cab is really tall and narrow. huh.gif

Herb

Compared to the more modern locos, yes, it looks tall and narrow however I believe it is prototypical and accurate. Couple it to the passenger consist and you will see (compared to the photo in the .pdf documentation) it fits the photo. If anything, the cab isn't quite tall enough. wink.gif

#14 atsf37l

atsf37l

Railroad President

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 01:01 PM

Just looks better somehow with a wider cab.......

Herb

Attached Files

#15 Mike

Mike

Engineer

• Beta Tester
  • 243 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 01:24 PM

QUOTE(atsf37l @ Jun 25 2004, 03:01 PM)
Just looks better somehow with a wider cab.......

Herb

VERY good Herb! My! The hidden talents. . .

Have to agree with you 100%. It does look better (whatever you did).

#16 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 02:04 PM

Me thinks ol' Herbie used a photo program to doctor the screen pic!

HOWEVER...

IT does look good like that. Wonder if John Fowlis would like to do an update to his little 10 wheeler? smile.gif

Andre Ming

#17 atsf37l

atsf37l

Railroad President

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 02:32 PM

So right you are, Oh Great Pooh-Bah of Poteau! This is an "MS Paint" fudgaroo of Mikes "After" .jpg just to show what it would look like with a reengineered wider cab. wink.gif

That would be great if John would agree to modify the original file, with tapered running boards from the cab front out to the narrower boards, but without my double cab windows and scalloped roofline!

Herb

#18 Shaa

Shaa

Motorman

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 02:51 PM

Here's a couple shots of Mike's Weathered #3 in action. I just figured out I can put borders in and decided to have some fun biggrin.gif

Attached Files

#19 Shaa

Shaa

Motorman

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 02:53 PM

Another one

Attached Files

#20 Shaa

Shaa