Photo

Andres out did yourself

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
27 replies to this topic

#21 Mike

Mike

Engineer

• Beta Tester
  • 243 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 06:34 PM

also Mike can you stretch out a model to fit on standard track or put another set of trucks on it, just a thought . . .

Afraid not, jbt. Altering a shape file requires the 3D file and even if there were ways to do that, you are then crossing the modeling line by altering another's work in ways beyond licensed skinning.

The good news is I believe I've found some period (prototype) models to paint. At least I have some to look at.

Please keep in mind that even though a model may look OK, whether or not it can be reskinned depends entirely on how the textures have been mapped to the 3D model i.e., if a part that needs to be lettered is mapped to be stretched to fit with a solid color, all bets are off. Texture mapping can also be difficult to dissect. In the end, having a good model is only the first part of what can be a frustrating skinning adventure which ultimately fails.

#22 Mike

Mike

Engineer

• Beta Tester
  • 243 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 06:44 PM

QUOTE(jbt1024 @ Jun 22 2004, 08:27 PM)
The steam engine at the bottom is a bit heavier than the other engines but it is near the era and also it is CNW so that is the only thing wrong with it  wink.gif  I still use all the rolling stock and engines but I like more of a different look

No, there's more than just the CNW wrong with it for this route.

A careful read of the SL&NA documentation will reveal certain steam switching problems inherent to MSTS which Andre's team has worked to overcome among other things. Specifically, a front coupling got'cha.

Change locos, and not only will all the activities stop working (as Andre said), you will find yourself unable to switch as you do with the original loco.

Your money. Your route. Your call to do whatever you want.

You might try my Engine #3 reskin before deciding you want to change locos.

#23 jbt1024

jbt1024

Superintendent

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 06:46 PM

Cool so know we can haul freight and passanger, eventually. What model is it, hate to bug ya, but I 'm a bit excited blush.gif If ya ask the Person that did the model you were using the model and had to change some stuff on it wouldn't they at least say yes, and also I know about the very bad word reskinning, it is worth it but way to much time.

#24 Mike

Mike

Engineer

• Beta Tester
  • 243 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 06:57 PM

QUOTE(jbt1024 @ Jun 22 2004, 08:46 PM)
If ya ask the Person that did the model you were using the model and had to change some stuff on it wouldn't they at least say yes, and also I know about the very bad word reskinning, it is worth it but way to much time.

I've done just enough 3D modeling (in Gmax) to realize that complex model creation is something akin to laying railroad track—you simply can't tear out a section of track without rebuilding the rest. I think most people would rather just start over than begin making major alterations to an existing model.

After I've had a chance to look at the existing (and available) passenger models I'll have a report and maybe a screenshot or two. As it is, I have to carefully review the documentation to get e-mail addresses and see what's permitted.

And yes, if you have done any serious reskinning you know well what hidden traps await. I ran into a couple of those traps reskinning Andre's #3 loco, but worked around them best I could. One little spot took me 3-hours to finally realize I simply couldn't do what I wanted to do.

#25 jbt1024

jbt1024

Superintendent

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 07:12 PM

Yea Reskinning is very hard indeed, and also That is true what you said about a model, so go ahead and do what ya gotta do and don't let us bother ya, and I'm finally getting around to downloading your new #3 smile.gif

#26 Mike

Mike

Engineer

• Beta Tester
  • 243 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 08:18 PM

I think I've found the perfect SL&NA passenger car but I'll keeping it a little secret until showtime. All I'll say is it's as close as we're going to get, I'm pumped, and wait 'til you see it!

I hope you like my grimy #3. With any luck, I'll have some changes to make the rolling stock look well-traveled before the week is out, with the passenger cars right behind.

#27 jbt1024

jbt1024

Superintendent

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 09:01 PM

Yeeeeaaa, well are ya gonna do a baggage car too, just wondering, If ya need any help just PM me rolleyes.gif

#28 mjs2101

mjs2101

Engineer

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 09:02 PM

Good luck Mike! Nothing like a good passenger run to mix it up with the freight trains.

Mykel