Photo

Andres out did yourself

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
27 replies to this topic

#1 jbt1024

jbt1024

Superintendent

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 07:08 PM

I am in love with the route, love the detail and the grades are very real, any more stuff to add on to the route or are you gonna just drive it yourself for a while, the route is a 10 outta 10 on the love-a-meter blush.gif I can tell many Months have been put in for this route, and I luv it smile.gif

#2 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 09:15 PM

Thanks for telling me jb.

I'm very glad you guys are enjoying the North Arkansas.

No, I'm currently not operating on the NA. I'm already starting to lay the ground work for the next project.

Andre Ming

#3 zhivago47

zhivago47

Operations Manager

• Invalid Email
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 10:01 PM

You have a winner Andre, and I am not talking about monetary. Didn't expect that anyway, I suspect, but the pleasure of knowing you have been able to create something that is giving so many of us so much pleasure must be a great reward in itself, and spur you on to even bigger and better things.....if that is possible.
I know I am enjoying this route so much it's almost indecent. I love the trains especially, but the bridges are fantastic and the twists and turns and never knowing what lies around the bend. Great stuff. Now if I can only keep my speeds down I might be able to finish a few of these activities.

Super job from a super idea Andre. The uniqueness of it and the pure enjoyment of feeling just like you are back there at the turn of the century. It is phenominal. I knew this was going to be good because you were doing it but I had no idea really that it would be great! And it is just that. Great! Belongs right up there with the best routes ever made, and I mean that sincerely. It's time was long past due. It has really brought the fun back into the game for me again. And that is not to take anything away from any other route, in particular Rich's routes, all of them that I think rank as the best there are, but yours is certainly right up there with them.

By the way, am going to post some pics of the route over in the photo area. Thanks Andre. You deserve every accolade that comes your way from this route. And I hope there are many more.

Tim

#4 jbt1024

jbt1024

Superintendent

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 19 June 2004 - 09:59 AM

Hey Andre, whats the next project, o sorry I'll look at your website

#5 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 19 June 2004 - 10:29 AM

" Hey Andre, whats the next project, o sorry I'll look at your website "

Well, the dynamics of the MSTS hobby are always changing... including payware, etc.

I say that to say this: Until my future direction becomes firmly established (i.e. the route firmly started and most importantly OBJECTS are being built for it), then expect the unexpected. (i.e. CHANGE. smile.gif )

In that respect, it should come as no surprise that I'm taking advantage of the interim between the North Arkansas and time to begin in earnest on the "next one" as an opportunity to continually search, learn, and evaluate various projects as a candidate for the "next one".

Now, having said all that: Don't take the "Gossip" part of the "News And Gossip" section at my website as Gospel until I've officially begun the "next one". laugh.gif

This much we know: The North Arkansas is now a REALITY. Not so the "next one". biggrin.gif

Hey, there's got to be SOME advantage to being a "Little Guy" in paywaredom... surely fickleness can be considered as a perk??? biggrin.gif

Andre "Neve Met A Route I Didn't Want To Build" Ming

#6 zhivago47

zhivago47

Operations Manager

• Invalid Email
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 19 June 2004 - 10:44 PM

Hey, there's got to be SOME advantage to being a "Little Guy" in paywaredom... surely fickleness can be considered as a perk???

What? You fickled? Surely you jest? OK OK I will quit calling you Shirley....... laugh.gif wink.gif

Tim

#7 Shaa

Shaa

Motorman

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 20 June 2004 - 06:50 AM

Well what ever does end up being the next route you can sign me up now. What makes this route special is not only the attention to detail in getting the feel of the era but also creating a world using the activities. Rich does this very well and now so does Andre. To me that is unique among payware outfits. I think their approach in using characters and some story makes it that much more enjoyable.

Jim

#8 zhivago47

zhivago47

Operations Manager

• Invalid Email
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 20 June 2004 - 10:19 PM

Jim, I couldn't agree with you more and I just hope some of those people sitting out on the edge not being sure whether they want to run a route in this era with these antiquated steam engines will just look at some of the posts of those that are running it and some of the pictures and realize that this is a very unique route and a very unique way of running the activities for the route. This is something not really seen before. This will teach you to run an engine and it doesn't matter whether it is old or new, it is still the same basics being applied here. It is worth anyones while to get the route and see how this is done and what can be done in the future with this type of activity application. This is a very fun route people. This is a very unique opportunity to run a very nicely done route and have fun running it.
I am telling you that it is worth every penny spent on it. Which isn't much.
Yes, there are a lot of routes coming out now at once, there is the question of MSTS itself at this point but neither of these things should matter to you at this point. This route is in my opinion and in a lot of others opinions and you can read them here and at train-sim, one of the most fun routes that can be run today, tomorrow whether any other routes come out or not or whether or not there is another version of MSTS to come out. We are talking about fun here people and this is fun and it can be run now and it is being run now, not something that may or not be done in the future, but now.....
And no, I am making absolutely nothing off of this ringing endorsement of the route. And actually, neither is the author himself. So, just buy it to have the best fun you have had on a route in some time. It is worth it!

#9 Shaa

Shaa

Motorman

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 02:42 PM

Tim, Thats why I wanted to post about the activities and the story with them. When doing modern (or close to modern) routes most activities are point A to point B and maybe some switching. Don't get me wrong I like those also....like when trying to handle a major load with barely enough power on steep grade...when I succeed I know I accomplished something. But I'm a sucker for a good tale and interesting characters and here I get that.

When it comes to spending money one needs to look at what they get back. For me I will get many hours of enjoyment from this for what is easily spent in one evening of going out. I guess thats how I view VR in thats its relatively inexpensive when you look at cost based on the time you get back from it.(or is that lost to it?)

Jim

#10 jbt1024

jbt1024

Superintendent

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 04:34 PM

Hate to ask, but is anybody gonna do anymore Engines and Rolling stock, I could try but as you know, youth cannot paint, I'll get mad and mad.gif Can anybody tell me how to post pics on here, I got them all ready and stuff,

Thanks

#11 zhivago47

zhivago47

Operations Manager

• Invalid Email
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 08:22 PM

Can't answer your first question. I am hoping so but wouldn't count on it. Not too many people doing steam engines anymore, except for narrow gauge. Which is a real shame. I might look and see what I have that might fit the era and do a few reskins. Would have to get approval from the creators though, but I think that could be arranged.
As for uploading pictures here. Just make sure they are in jpg format and less than 256000 bites in size. When you post just look at the bottom of the post area and you will see something that says file attachments. Click on browse, go to your picture on your computer, click on it and then simply add reply. You can only do one picture per post but you can of course post as many as you wish, normally by just replying to yourself. Wait a minute or so before doing it though or you will get an error message.

Hope this helps. I'll look at what I have for steam engines. I have a lot. And see what might fit and perhaps do some reskins. I would certainly like to do some more stock for the route.

#12 mjs2101

mjs2101

Engineer

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 10:01 PM

Well, I just put my money order in the mail, so hopefully I will have this excellent route soon and can start enjoying all the wonderful things I am reading here! Definitely looking forward to running a steam only route!

As for steam engines, sadly I do not think I have any prototype drawings of this era, or I would look into doing one. Would probably be a lot easier than any Southern steam locomotive with all their plumbing! I love steam and have a few projects I am working on, most after 1930. Anyway, if anyone has any diagrams they would be willing to share or direct me to, I might consider it.

Looking towards your next project Andre! You know, there was a regional line in NC/southeastern VA that would make an interesting transitional era project. Especially with its 6 mile trestle across Albemarle Sound and its 580,640 lbs (baby) berkshires! biggrin.gif Thought of doing it myself, but got into locomotive and rolling stock building. Maybe one day....

Mykel

#13 jbt1024

jbt1024

Superintendent

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 02:45 PM

I looked around train-sim Library and there are a few cars that fit the era, a tanker, oilcar.zip, a old wooden tanker, a box car that I don't remember, a cattle car and a tomato car. Just a thought yall might want to know blush.gif

#14 Mike

Mike

Engineer

• Beta Tester
  • 243 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 03:49 PM

Easily, the most beautiful steam engine in my collection is the TrainArtisan USRA Baldwin Light Mountain pictured below. It's free from the TrainArtisan site.

Two things:

1. Although built in 1918, this loco is too fast and too heavy for the SL&NA, and although still rolling into the mid 1950's in revenue service (I think) that was the end of it. In the 1930's, the SL&NA became the M&NA, and after the war, it was family owned and went belly-up, unable to raise the money to continue.

2. If you put another loco on the route, you will be sacrificing all the wonderful .eng file physics tweaks brilliantly created by Bill Hobbs for Andre's version of the John Fowlis locomotive.

Clearly, this route was designed for and meant to run the provided locos which is why I am involved so cheerfully in free repaints.

Change locos if you must but in this writer's opinion you will be missing this route's greatest and most charming immersion.

And don't forget, Andre drove the modeled loco and who better to know its capabilities than one who earned his keep chugging away in the Ozarks.

My advice is to stick with the provided rolling stock. This is not your usual route—unless you want to turn it into one. wink.gif Your money. Your call but there'll be no praise from me if you start rumbling across those bridges in a loco they were not designed to support. Perhaps the SL&NA is a prototypical route only us old geezers can really appreciate?

To me, that USRA Light Mountain below looks totally out of place and silly in 1905 Berryville.

Attached Files

#15 Mike

Mike

Engineer

• Beta Tester
  • 243 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 04:08 PM

. . .and just so you know, the passenger service car you see below is one of my reskins. I am proud of the wood and the lighted windows. wink.gif

Let me do some passenger service research with Andre and if this type Pullman is prototypical, I will paint for the SL&NA. If not, I'll keep looking.

It will take me a little while to finish all the engines and the rolling stock before I get around to passenger cars.

Just wanted you to know there are people working to enhance the rolling stock of this awesome route.

Attached Files

#16 mjs2101

mjs2101

Engineer

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 05:09 PM

Nice passenger car! I think those would be out of place as well, especially behind the route engines. Probably, the type of cars that would be good, would be the older style that had open vesibules on either end, 2 axle trucks, and were only about 40-50 ft in length. Sorry, cannot remember what these cars were called. I want to say Harriman or Overland, but not sure.

It definitely would be nice to have some authenic passenger cars to go along with this great route!

Mykel

#17 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 05:29 PM

You're very perceptive Mike.

Indeed this is a "concept" route. That is, the various elements are tied together in such a way that entire package represents a virtual "world". It really wasn't designed to be a platform to "run what'cha brung".

I'm a'feared that's a weakness of mine: I envision each of my route projects as an entire concept. Each will be its own "world". The route, the equipment, the activities, all of it: Aimed at a particular place in time and history.

That's what I mean in my slogan... "Creating Virtual Worlds For Virtual Railroading".

I did this with my HO scale model railroading.... and it looks like I'll do it with my V scale creations too.

In fact, it appears that I will be doing such again with "the next one".

Of course, the beauty of this hobby is that one can run whatever they want and enjoy it however they want! Downside: If you swap out equipment in the activities for the North Arkansas... they may not work too good.

Mykel:

You pretty much hit the nail on the head in your surmizings about the St.L&NA's passenger equipment.

Below you guys will find a pic of C9, the combine purchased new in 1902. The color of their passenger equipment is thought to have been Tuscan Red.

Can't remember details of the models, but I'll bet the passenger equipment that is in the TS library for the D&RG narrow gauge will fill the bill? (It was made oversize for standard gauge.)

Anyway, this is exactly what I hoped would happen: Others would take the North Arkansas to a higher degree of authenticity. This too, is a "perk" in this crazy hobby-business of mine!

Well, all for now... back to RE. smile.gif

Andre Ming

Attached Files

#18 Mike

Mike

Engineer

• Beta Tester
  • 243 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 05:34 PM

Thank you Mykel. When you receive your package, you will find this photo in the .pdf documentation.

It was this photo which led me to believe a Pullman-style passenger car would work although those in the photo look shorter than those I have modeled.

For the record, I do not have the skills to build a custom 3D model and must be satisfied to paint cars that already exist—if they can be found.

EDIT: And thanks to Andre's post (which crossed this one in the mails) I may be on to just the ticket with the D&RG!

Attached Files

#19 jbt1024

jbt1024

Superintendent

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 06:09 PM

If it would help, I could look up some pictures and then look around Train-sim for a Similar model, but since there are not alot of cars in that era it will be a bit hard, I know of a few like that but there at a Austrailan Website and I think there a tad to long, also Mike can you stretch out a model to fit on standard track or put another set of trucks on it, just a thought rolleyes.gif

#20 jbt1024

jbt1024

Superintendent

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 06:27 PM

http://www.train-sim...ID5/8034.html#7

The steam engine at the bottom is a bit heavier than the other engines but it is near the era and also it is CNW so that is the only thing wrong with it wink.gif I still use all the rolling stock and engines but I like more of a different look