Photo

Anyone using RailDriver with supplied Locos?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 jfeeds

jfeeds

Railfan

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 08:42 AM

Hello,

I just got the Raildriver unit last week and this route also.

I really love both, but I can't get either of the Raildriver base steam configs to work with the route supplied locos.

For me, the wonderful atmosphere of this route just isn't right unless I am running the locos that came with it.

Would anyone know how to get one of the Raildriver configs to work with the supplied steamers?

Thanks,

Jim

#2 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 09:21 AM

Jim:

I've never tried to run the supplied locos with Rail Driver. It could be there might be an addressing issue on account of having to modify the supplied loco eng files in order to overcome a hard code issue that arises when using steam engines to front couple.

During exhaustive testing while bug chasing trying to figure out why the steam engines had begun to lock when using the front coupler, it was traced back to the presence of the "Engine Brake" values, which the original eng files lacked. To stablize the engines for prototypical switching use, I ended up removing all references to the Engine Brake within the eng file. Thus, that value will NOT appear on the HUD display that Rail Driver needs.

I suspect that my findings will apply to steam engines across the board, not just the models I used. It appears to be a hard code stumble. Thus, when using a steam engine with engine brakes installed, under certain condtions you will either:

* Lock up.

* Be unable to release the train brakes.

That so, it could be that Rail Driver will not properly control such modified steam engines.

Andre Ming

#3 jfeeds

jfeeds

Railfan

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 09:45 AM

Andre,

I really appreciate your reply. I guess I'll just have to go without RailDriver (Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh Noooooooooooooooooo!!!!) if I want to run these locos.

Since it was "The Man" himself who replied...just some feedback. I also had the missing spring textures, but followed your instructions. You may want to post a "sticky" (if you haven't yet). As far as what you had said about the files missing...you should not feel bad. It was a simple mistake that is easily corrected.

As far as your route goes, I really love it. All payware routes have something a little different, and usually, a little unique about them. This route almost defines unique. It's very different and extremely atmospheric. The bushes and shrubs are executed in a very interesting and convincing manner, given the limitations of TrainSim. The cutout rock formations are EXCELLENT! It really gives you a rural "old time" feeling.

Thanks Andre for another wonderful and entertaining add-on.

Jim

#4 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 10:43 AM

"I really appreciate your reply."

No problem!

> I guess I'll just have to go without RailDriver (Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh
> Noooooooooooooooooo!!!!) if I want to run these locos.

Bummer, I'm sure.

Upside: Later on in the activities when you begin to do some heavy duty switching, you'll be quite busy operating the various controls of the steam engine. Me thinks it will be simpler to use the keyboard for those activities anyhoo! Personally, I like to use my Rail Driver "as designed" to run wide cab diesels. When running older diesels with conventional controls, I like to turn it up on it's side!

"Since it was "The Man" himself who replied..."

All hail The Great Poobah! laugh.gif

".... just some feedback."

Okay. Shoot...

"I also had the missing spring textures, but followed your instructions."

Embarrasingly simple fix. Also embarrasing that I let it slip past. Goes to show you that I didn't test the final versions in the Spring time!! Quothe the raven "nevermore".

"You may want to post a "sticky" (if you haven't yet)."

Good catch, Jim. 'Tis done.

"As far as what you had said about the files missing...you should not feel bad. It was a simple mistake that is easily corrected."

Well, I was hoping zero "glitches"... but I guess that was too much to hope for. To wit: Look at how my sticky notes are growing!! biggrin.gif

"As far as your route goes, I really love it."

Great! This helps to make me feel better about all the effort it took to get it out the door.

"All payware routes have something a little different, and usually, a little unique about them."

Agreed! That's why I like payware routes so much! Plus, typically, payware routes are a "complete" package with "point/click" installation. Once the installer runs you have the route, equipment, activities, et al... go play! I really don't like to have to go download stuff in order to spend a bit of time relaxing with MSTS.

"This route almost defines unique. It's very different and extremely atmospheric."

That was my hope. That is, to be something totally different from what the typical route experience is. It was definitely a personal excercise in creativity... now if it will only pay off! laugh.gif

"The bushes and shrubs are executed in a very interesting and convincing manner, given the limitations of TrainSim."

You said a mouthful in regards to having to use self control when placing scenic eye candy. When I was building this route, I was trying to walk a fine line between looking "good enough" from typical viewing angles, yet still retain as good an FPS performance as possible.

"The cutout rock formations are EXCELLENT!"

Those turned out better than I intended. smile.gif

"It really gives you a rural "old time" feeling."

Ah... THAT'S what I was hoping for!

"Thanks Andre for another wonderful and entertaining add-on."

You're more than welcome and thanks for giving it a try. Though I'm not going to get rich financially off this effort, it does enrich me to read positive feedback. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Andre

#5 sevenbrewer

sevenbrewer

Porter

• Valued Customer
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 June 2004 - 08:28 PM

I have been using the raildriver and some values go up and down. Throttle level for example varies by a few percentage points at certain spots (especially low level). It works, the keyboard is smoother due to the jumpiness of the values. Brakes certainly work better via keyboard as you have better control (again due to the jumpiness thing). I have learned to successfully use a bit of throttle with the reverser set in the opposite direction to slow up just as I am coupling. Kind of takes the place of the independent brake....and you won't burn out a traction motor either!

Andre, very nice route. Are you planning on expanding it or what is next? I hope you make more activities for it as that will extend the life of this route more than anything.

Also, check with the people that make raildriver, they can help you set up the engine to play nice with the raildriver I think.

Rich Sieben

#6 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 20 June 2004 - 09:26 PM

"Also, check with the people that make raildriver, they can help you set up the engine to play nice with the raildriver I think."

With steam engines, you can't have engine brakes and have stability with the front coupler. Thus, seems that RD would have to script the unit to ignore the need for the loco brake value.

"Andre, very nice route. "

Thank'yuh, thank'yuh... thank'yuh vury much.

"Are you planning on expanding it or what is next?

Ahh... WHAT'S next?? GOOD question!

I don't have a clue. blink.gif

Nah... only kidding. As we type, I've been examining some track charts and grade profiles of a route I'm evaluating. Way too early to make any kind of "official" announcement (and besides, when I do, seem something crops up that causes a change).... but I CAN say this:

* It would be a prototype.
* It dodges a white void.
* It would be diesel powered.
* DEMS are already in place and the test route created.
* I'm finding an adequate supply of track maps and grade charts.
* Along with its own rails, it used trackage rights on 3 different railroads to get from point A to point B.
* Coal would be among the commodities hauled.
* It is NOT in the SW/Western USA.
* Target era would be 1955.
* Would be released in two segments, each about 37 miles in length.

"I hope you make more activities for it as that will extend the life of this route more than anything."

That's an idea. It's a shame time is always in such short supply. I would need to fit that among the preliminary stuff I'm doing now. OR, once "the next one" is well underway, I can use that idea to help me get out of RE and TSM for a while!

Thanks for the kind words, Rich, and thank you much for purchasing the North Arkansas.

Andre Ming

#7 zhivago47

zhivago47

Operations Manager

• Invalid Email
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 20 June 2004 - 10:42 PM

If I could write good activities I would write more but I suspect someone will come along who will. And I just hope that if it is done by someone else that they keep it in line with the way the current activities are written. But I really suspect someone with knowledge of writing activities will come along and create some. I hope so anyway.