Photo

Since the Cat's out of the bag...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 12:03 AM

... a small montage of prototype pics to introduce any/all to the prototype route.

Attached Files

#2 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 12:07 AM

And here's a schematic of only PART of the industry at Ft. Smith lifted from my Frisco Track Chart book I was given nearly 30 years ago. (Bear in mind the "Train Yard" has been simplified on this schematic... there's considerable trackage and interest in that area alone.)

Needless to say, Installment One would be a switchman's delight!

Attached Files

#3 century242

century242

Dispatcher

• Sacramento Locomotive Works
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 07:31 AM

Well...all I can say is it is about time you came out of the closet on this one.... smile.gif

#4 fayers

fayers

Railfan

• Valued Customer
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 06:16 PM

Having spent over thirty years of my life in Fort Smith, a few of them were spent sitting on Ballman Road near Ward Furniture waiting for my ex to get off work. Frisco was in it's hayday at that time in Fort Smith and a lot of good railfaning was available. I spent many hours watching F units and Geeps working the yard. Do you have any plans for the Fort Smith Sub?

#5 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 06:53 PM

> Having spent over thirty years of my life in Fort Smith,

Dude! Who'd a thought? Where's home for you now?

> Frisco was in it's hayday at that time in Fort Smith and a lot of good railfaning was available.

Indeed there was. Did you get to see the Baldwin switchers? Those were super neat old engines. LOVED the way their cabs smelled! And that intriguing sound.

> I spent many hours watching F units and Geeps working the yard.

What a small world! So did I! Did you by any chance see a long, lanky lad with dark hair and longish sideburns??? If so, that would have been me!

> Do you have any plans for the Fort Smith Sub?

Not sure I understand your question, so I'll play it safe and answer it both ways smile.gif :

"Do you (as in 'me', a route builder) have any plans for the Fort Smith Sub?"

I'm seriously considering it as my next project once I get the North Arkansas released.

"Do you have any plans (as in track charts, profiles, etc) for the Fort Smith Sub?"

Yes. I have the complete set of customer track schematics for the Ft. Smith Sub, the Arthur Sub, the Arkinda Sub and the Ardmore Sub. I also have a track profile for the Ft. Smith Sub.

What I could really use:

* Track data for the mainline from FS to Monett. That is, the company data showing curvature, elevations, etc, as opposed to simplistic customer track chart schematics. At this point, I will have to field check much of the placement... not easy seeing as some of the track and structures have been gone for more than 25 years. Fortunately, the mainline is very much in place, so that would simplify that portion.

* Pictures, pictures, pictures near the target era of 1970. In spite of having several hundred pictures and slides in my collection, a couple books and such... it's a challenge to pin down the background scenes during 1970. Though many of my Frisco Ft. Smith experiences/memories are from the '69-'72 time frame, as a silly teenager, I didn't take pictures. It wasn't until I returned to the Ft Smith area in '74 (with a wife, I might add smile.gif ) that I begin to shoot photos. Plus, I could use pictures of the target era around Fayetteville, Springdale, Rogers, Monett, and any of the smaller towns.

Did you take any pictures? Should I tackle this, the Ft. Smith yard and north would be the first installment. Thus, I could really use pics of the riverfront industrial area the worst. (i.e. Where you were at waiting for your ex!)

Nice exchanging posts with you.

Andre

#6 jbt1024

jbt1024

Superintendent

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 08:00 PM

Andre, I read that you are doing a Route for the Northern part of Arkansas, how far does it go, I live in north-eastern part of Arkansas, anxious for one of the Arkansas routes to be released.

#7 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 08:47 PM

Hello jbt1024:

The North Arkansas is a route based on a prototype, The St. Louis & North Arkansas. (Commonly referred to as the North Arkansas over the course of its existance.) I'm modeling it during the time it was expanding eastward. The modeled portion of the route runs from Seligman, Missouri, to Freeman, Arkansas with branches to Eureka Springs and Berryville, Arkansas. Mainline length is about 34 miles, and the branches are about 2 and 3 miles long respectively.

There is ample information as well as pictures here at V Scale Creations forums that will give you a gist of what it looks like, as well as the concepts behind it... even operational info. There are also older progress pictures posted at Train-sim.com prior to my forum here. A search there for "North Arkansas" or "Coonskin" (my nickname at Train-sim and other forums) should yield several.

Thanks for your interest.

Andre Ming

#8 zhivago47

zhivago47

Operations Manager

• Invalid Email
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 09:39 PM

Boy I am going to love that new route you are going to start working on too Andre. That is the era that I love. I have decided to concentrate all of my rolling stock on that era, late 50's, 60's and early 70's, meaning the F7's, GP7's and 9's, and whatever else was out there then, probably some GP38's and a smidged of SD40-2's. This is the era that I think, besides of course the steam era, that railroading was at its best. Just before all of the buyouts when you had all of these fallen flag RR's still functioning. I am doing not only because I like that era and the stock of that era but it will also help me trim down my MSTS folder or at least make it more manageable as far as aliasing engine files etc.
Will be looking forward to seeing the progress of that one as well. Hope you can find some pics of that time frame. I am sure someone will come up with something to help you.
Keep up the great work Andre, glad I am not in your shoes though with that train yard. Looks like a tough one to me.....

Tim

#9 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 13 March 2004 - 12:18 AM

Hi again Tim:

I can understand completely on your migration to the 50s/60s/early 70s. I agree with your viewpoint that the last of the truly great railroading took place therein.

For my personal use, I "sort of" define the late 50s/60s/early 70's as the "Classic Railroading Era". (The 40s/early 50s is generally accepted as the "Transisition Era".) In the Classic Era, we were seeing the end of a railroad physical plant that dated back to, or earlier than, WW2. The operational schemes were still "old school" (such as Train Orders), as well as employee usage. Even the engines dated back to the beginning of dieselization.

Once the 70's were in place, I feel "The Rebuild Era" began as railroads scrambled to rip out track, tear down structures, lay ribbon rail, replace 1st generation engines and such.

Through the 80's the "Rebuild Era" evolved into the current "Modern Era" and at its conclusion: Cabeese were gone. Almost no "clickety clack" rail on Class 1 mainlines. Few small 1-2 car customers left. Small town switching scenarios became rare, as well as other emblems of the Classic Era being gone forever from the scene. The stage was then set for the true mega-mergers to begin... and railroading has never been the same.

As for SLSF pics in/around the FS Sub, I do have plenty... it would just be soooo nice to have some pics of some key foreground structures that I feel would be important in order to portray reasonably accurately, along with some of the more obscure small towns.

As for that yard, you're only seeing the simplified schematic of it! There was far more track in the actual "yard" portion of Ft. Smith... the Frisco simplified the that track schematic, for it deals with customers and industry tracks only, not every utility/yard track. My OTHER charts show ALL the tracks. They were:

Yard Tracks 1-11 (Given the track centerline spacing issues with MSTS, these tracks would have to be condensed some.)

Tracks K 1-2

Rip Tracks 1-2

Track M-1

Ready Track

Plus the engine service area w/turntable and 8-stall* roundhouse.

* I'd need to dig out my pics and verify that off-the-cuff number!

However, bear in mind that I'm still only SERIOUSLY looking at the FS Sub. It is not a "given" or a "done deal".

It would be a vast undertaking for a lone wolf builder to create a reasonably accurate representation (structures et al), and would definitely test my fortitude over the long term!

Truly, the only element that geniunely urges me to model it is my love for that old line and the Frisco railroad.

It would be so neat to model and (hopefully) capture the scenes that were SO influential to me as a young man so many, many years ago. At this point, I can only imagine what it would be like to sit in the virtual cab of orange and white Frisco VO1000 #222 in front of the long-gone Switchman's Shanty at I Street crossing and look ahead into the yard to see the sights that I was priviledge to enjoy from that same vantage point some 34 years ago.

Nice as it would be... we'll just have to wait and see.

In the meantime, I have the North Arkansas that needs my attention as Priority One!

Thank you much for your interest.

Andre Ming