Photo

That was fun!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 10 February 2004 - 11:03 PM

It took a bit longer to run than anticipated, but fun! Amazing the different personality a route takes on at night! While testing this night activity I noticed some more texture work that needed attention, but in all a fun trip!

Below is a pic I took along the way, and more can be seen here:

http://www.train-sim...mID15/2989.html

Well, all for a while... got to start writing the "next one".

Andre

Attached Files

#2 Acela2020

Acela2020

Dispatcher

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 04:28 PM

it says "no signals, no radios", How did the trains know when to stop at a interlocking or something? was there a "report" that each train was given so they knew where and when to stop?

#3 BLW_1946

BLW_1946

Commissioner

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,455 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 09:23 PM

well, in them days, they used a thing called a telegraph for communications between stations, and they used real people to hoop up train orders (flimsies) to the engineer and conductor (who at that time rode in the caboose...)

oh, and the cider they drank wasn't bottled by pepsico....

#4 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 09:44 PM

Tim's pretty much got it for you Acela 2020. It was tough railroadin'.

Typically in 1901 (especially in the Ozarks) the few interlockings that existed were manually operated. That is, either manned by operator(s) at a tower, or of the "Stop and Go" type.

A "Stop and Go" worked this way: By rule, a train approaching a crossing diamond had to stop and secure the crossing before proceeding. Worked just like the principle of 4-way stop signs in todays automobile traffic settings, only with trains.

As for forwarding trains in the face of opposing movements with no signals, it was done via "Train Orders". I'll type one quick example of a Train Order for a "positive" meet below, then I'll interpret it for you:

To C&E: Extra 3 North

Extra 3 North take siding and meet Extra 4 South at Beaver

"To C&E" = To Conductor & Engineer

"Extra 3 North" = A non-timetable (i.e. "scheduled") train movement, in this case it's Engine #3 and it's heading north. (duh)

"Extra 3 North take siding and meet Extra 4 South at Beaver" =

The crew of Extra 3 North will need to stop and align the switch for the siding, enter it, and stop in the clear, closing the switch behind them. Since this order example has no other attached instructions, they will then wait at that siding until the opposing train arrives, or another Train Order is delivered to them superseding or annuling the above order. Same holds for Extra 4 South. If it arrives before Extra 3 North, then they will hold the main track and not procede unless the order is superseded or annulled by another Train Order.

It was gutsy railroading indeed.

Andre