10 replies to this topic

#1 Bananarama

Bananarama

The Big Kahuna

• 3DTrains Admin
  • 8,103 posts

Posted 16 June 2021 - 12:40 PM

Hi all,

With DTG's recent announcement of producing their own Tehachapi route, something I'm not entirely surprised at given my lack of participation of late, I've been thinking of what to do with the 3DTrains version. Although I believe DTG's offering will be well received, I don't wish to abandon the project outright, and while it's been long since I've updated the route, I thought perhaps a different approach was needed and I would like to get feedback and suggestions on how to best handle this situation; especially to not leave those who've supported 3DTrains over the years in limbo with a useless product on their system.

One idea I have is to backdate the route, maybe as far as 60 years or so. Except for surrounding buildings, which are relatively easy to alter, little has changed in track arrangements between the 1950s and mid-1990s, and depending on the era chosen (my preference would be with 1st-generation diesels for obvious reasons), minor expansions would be necessary to bring the yards at Mojave and Bakersfield up to par, remove notches from tunnel portals, and change out the scenery to suit. Any new alteration would be stand alone from what I have so far, and the modern version will continue until all bridges, signals and modern scenery are complete.

Thoughts?

#2 petersde

petersde

Motorman

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 16 June 2021 - 02:37 PM

This was a totally unexpected post, but as I run trains on the Tehachapi route (both in Open Rails and Train Simulator 2021) I have thought about a "classic" Tehachapi, with Bakersfield, Tehachapi and Mojave in their prime.  I would support such a  backdating that would provide options both earlier and later.  I use the Bessemer & Lake Erie route (no longer available on Steam) in this way, running diesels, steam and a mixture of both depending on what my appetite is.  Stick with it :salute: .  Whatever DTG does, it can never capture what you have provided over the years.  BTW, I have spent significant time adding to areas like the Arvin Branch.  Needless to say, this requires "skills" and courage that many users may not want to plumb, but nonetheless satisfying--even the failures, as long as a backup copy is on hand.

Dave Peterson

Tehachapi, CA

#3 Bananarama

Bananarama

The Big Kahuna

• 3DTrains Admin
  • 8,103 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 10:27 AM

Thanks Dave. :)

#4 harby@colusanet.com

harby@colusanet.com

Railfan

• Route Beta
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 03:41 PM

This is only a suggestion, and that would be the era of 1945 - 1957 this is the transition period from steam to the early diesels. In 1945 there was no diesels and by 1957 there was no steam. Also this was the transition between semaphore and target signal and also the transition between Wig-Wag crossing signal and crossing gates with flashing lights. And lets not forget the transition between the yellow reflector button stop signs and cross-bucks with the red stop signs and white cross-bucks we know now. This era also had some of an amazing array of auto and trucks. Thus all would be there during this era. On Donner as few Wig-Wag still remains to this day. 

Anyway just a suggestion. I've been working on this for TrainzItaliz Donner Pass Route in TRS19. It turned out to be a lot more as I needed to replace the 6 Lane Interstate 80 with the 2 lane US-40 which means repairing the ground and vegetation, changing a lot of sturctures, and fixing all the track work from Union Pacific era 2000 back to how it was when Southern Pacific had it. Following is the link I've posted of some of the work I've done over the last several years. N3V TrainzSim 19 Donner Pass/Valley Sub Route I'm building | Flickr   ..  I've been working from Southern Pacific track maps and insurance maps of the railroad, also from vintage photos that I try to replicate into the route.

I know what you decide and do will be excellence. I've been very impressed with what you have already done.

Tom Harbison (Harby)

#5 jbrad1974

jbrad1974

Mechanic

• Route Beta
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 June 2021 - 06:41 PM

Hey Marc!  Glad to see you're back!  Whatever you decide to do with the route, please include a decent amount of scenarios.  I'm so tired of purchasing payware routes for Train Simulator that only have 5 or 6 scenarios included with them.

I forgot which route it was, but one of my routes for MSTS had an option to change the era by clicking a batch file.  The available scenarios, scenery, and consists would change based upon the era chosen.  Perhaps you could do something like that?  I don't know if it would work for signals and track, though.  For example, you could have a set of consists and scenarios for the steam era, the transitional era, the 1970's/1980's, and the modern era.  Just a thought. :)

#6 ronbrowning

ronbrowning

Railfan

• Route Beta
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 June 2021 - 10:36 PM

This proposal sounds intriguing. I would like to see an emphasis on passenger service such as the owl with double header CFs, the San Juaquin Daylight with 4-8-2 mountains and diesels. Perhaps, this would be an opportunity to introduce PA's to Train Simulator in front of the San Francisco Chief or the Daylight.

#7 GenesisFan9

GenesisFan9

Railfan

• Route Beta
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 June 2021 - 07:57 PM

Would love to have a San Joaquin/Sacramento Daylight included.

#8 Mbartels34

Mbartels34

Railfan

• Route Beta
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 June 2021 - 07:15 PM

This was a totally unexpected post, but as I run trains on the Tehachapi route (both in Open Rails and Train Simulator 2021) I have thought about a "classic" Tehachapi, with Bakersfield, Tehachapi and Mojave in their prime.  I would support such a  backdating that would provide options both earlier and later.  I use the Bessemer & Lake Erie route (no longer available on Steam) in this way, running diesels, steam and a mixture of both depending on what my appetite is.  Stick with it :salute: .  Whatever DTG does, it can never capture what you have provided over the years.  BTW, I have spent significant time adding to areas like the Arvin Branch.  Needless to say, this requires "skills" and courage that many users may not want to plumb, but nonetheless satisfying--even the failures, as long as a backup copy is on hand.

Dave Peterson

Tehachapi, CA

I think a 90s or early 2000s era route would be the best in my opinion! 

#9 Schnauzahpowahz

Schnauzahpowahz

Railfan

• Route Beta
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 June 2021 - 12:59 PM

I finally got this Tehachapi installed and up to speed.
Quite the phenomenal project you got here Marc. The contrast is clearly seen between you, having knowledge and care and wherewithal to create this route and dtg's version which is kinda weird, lifeless and likely rushed by random people given the task to create it whom care little about its intricacies.

I sincerely hope you continue on with it, whether in the past or modernized (though 80s/modernesque would be nice)

#10 brucek

brucek

Motorman

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 29 June 2021 - 12:16 AM

Marc,

I just purchased your F's in anticipation. :)

#11 BigBen2910

BigBen2910

Railfan

• Route Beta
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 July 2021 - 07:05 PM

I too am intrigued by this idea, and as I'm much more interested in the "Golden Age of Railroading" than anything else I went ahead and purchased the route.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users