21 replies to this topic

#1 klsc85

klsc85

Track Layer

• Route Beta
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 08:27 AM

Earlier today Trainsim.com posted "Sherman Six-Pack", my freight activity pack for Marc's Sherman Hill route.  Even though the route is still a beta release, Marc assured me that the track data base is set and gave me the green light to work up a few activities to share with purchasers.

Besides the activities themselves, the zip file contains a folder of replacement .wag files for a set of freeware double stack container cars.  The cover sheet includes a link to a UP employee timetable that covers the Laramie Subdivision, useful for determining speed limits.  

I hope you enjoy these activities as you get an idea of what modern day train handling is like on Sherman.  If you have questions or problems, feel free to contact me here in the forum or leave me a PM.

Eric Anderson (a.k.a. klsc85) 

#2 Bananarama

Bananarama

The Big Kahuna

• 3DTrains Admin
  • 8,103 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 10:10 AM

Awesome! Thanks Eric! :)

Cheers!
Marc

#3 cr-stagg

cr-stagg

Superintendent

• Beta Tester
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 09:45 AM

Eric,

You missed a PAYWARE requirement to use these Activities.   From the Readme 1st.txt of the BEW DDTX HuskyStack K Line Set

"You will need Maple Leaf Track Rogers Pass route to be able to use these repaints.

the set contains 42 doublestacks each with at least one K Line container with 1024 x 1024 textures.

Instructions will be found in each of the Seven folders that result from unzipping the download,
please follow them carefully in order from set one through to Seven.

sounds are aliased to the Rogers Pass wagon sounds"

And inside each of the seven folders mentioned above is another Readme 1st.txt that says:

You will need Maple Leaf Track Rogers Pass route to be able to use these repaints.

Please follow the instructions carefuly and very soon you will be enjoying these in the sim.

First go to the Trains/Trainset folder RP_Freight that was created when you installed the Rogers Pass Route.

from the folder copy the following 6 files: CPStack1.s  CPStack2.s   CPStack3.s   CPStack4.s   CPStack5.s
and  CPStack6.s   and paste them into the DTTX_Huskystack_KL1 folder from the download.

Next rename each file exactly as shown below, double check as you go along.

CPStack1.s  rename to  HuskyStack_KL1.s

CPStack2.s  rename to  HuskyStack_KL2.s

CPStack3.s  rename to  HuskyStack_KL3.s

CPStack4.s  rename to  HuskyStack_KL4.s

CPStack5.s  rename to  HuskyStack_KL5.s

CPStack6.s  rename to  HuskyStack_KL6.s

So MLT Rogers Pass is required as well as MLT Cascades Crossing

#4 cr-stagg

cr-stagg

Superintendent

• Beta Tester
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 10:59 AM

Concerning the sfw53ftcontainers.zip:  The SD file SFW_53ft_Mix3.sd in the folder SFW_53ft_Mix3 has an error in the line "Shape ( SFW_53ft_EMP.s" it should instead be "Shape ( SFW_53ft_Mix3.s"

#5 cr-stagg

cr-stagg

Superintendent

• Beta Tester
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 11:25 AM

Eric,

You missed a PAYWARE requirement to use these Activities.   From the Readme 1st.txt of the BEW DDTX HuskyStack K Line Set

"You will need Maple Leaf Track Rogers Pass route to be able to use these repaints.

the set contains 42 doublestacks each with at least one K Line container with 1024 x 1024 textures.

Instructions will be found in each of the Seven folders that result from unzipping the download,
please follow them carefully in order from set one through to Seven.

sounds are aliased to the Rogers Pass wagon sounds"

And inside each of the seven folders mentioned above is another Readme 1st.txt that says:

You will need Maple Leaf Track Rogers Pass route to be able to use these repaints.

Please follow the instructions carefuly and very soon you will be enjoying these in the sim.

First go to the Trains/Trainset folder RP_Freight that was created when you installed the Rogers Pass Route.

from the folder copy the following 6 files: CPStack1.s  CPStack2.s   CPStack3.s   CPStack4.s   CPStack5.s
and  CPStack6.s   and paste them into the DTTX_Huskystack_KL1 folder from the download.

Next rename each file exactly as shown below, double check as you go along.

CPStack1.s  rename to  HuskyStack_KL1.s

CPStack2.s  rename to  HuskyStack_KL2.s

CPStack3.s  rename to  HuskyStack_KL3.s

CPStack4.s  rename to  HuskyStack_KL4.s

CPStack5.s  rename to  HuskyStack_KL5.s

CPStack6.s  rename to  HuskyStack_KL6.s

So MLT Rogers Pass is required as well as MLT Cascades Crossing

If you had used dttx_ym_doublestack_set.zip instead one would only need the Cascades Crossing route.

#6 klsc85

klsc85

Track Layer

• Route Beta
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 11:30 AM

Let me address the Rogers Pass aliasing issue first.  I guess I should have been more aware of the aliasing requirements and made mention of it in the equipment notes.  Chalk it up to taking some things too much for granted; I simply swapped out the shape files without thinking about it, and since I already have Rogers Pass I took the sounds for granted, too.  

I settled on the K-Line set since I have yet to see a UP train either on YouTube or on the Trains Magazine Rochelle Cam with Yang Ming boxes.  They seem to be a BNSF customer, while K-Line is one of UP's the more dominant ocean shippers.        

As for the SFW container cars, I wasn't aware of the shape definition file problem (the cars work well for me), but that's beyond the .wag file changes I provided.

Thanks to both of you for bringing these things up.    

Uncle E  

#7 cr-stagg

cr-stagg

Superintendent

• Beta Tester
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 03:43 PM

Note for those installing the rolling stock for these activities if you have not installed MSTS or you have Sherman Hill in a mini install that has not had MSTS installed which is what I am working with.

The ZIP ttrx1.zip installs the file genreefer.sms into the Global Sound folder.  That SMS expects to find a number of MSTS Default WAV files in the same folder.  So you will need to copy them from an MSTS installation to your Global Sound folder in your installation that contains Sherman Hill.

#8 cr-stagg

cr-stagg

Superintendent

• Beta Tester
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 04:56 PM

Installed the needed rolling stock both Payware and the Freeware downloads in to my Mini install for Sherman Hill.  Next I installed the activity files from UP 4594 East.zip.  Then I started testing the Consists files to make sure I had everything. 

Problem: 

• UP grain ld.con file missing 100+ WAGs from a folder named SP_FREIGHT.  Checked my Main MSTS installation which has MLT Cascades Crossing installed.  No folder name SP_FREIGHT.  
  • UP grain mt.con  Same problem 
  • UP manifest east.con  Same Problem SP_FREIGHT files.
  • UP Z west.con and UP Z east.con Same Problem

What is the source of these SP_FREIGHT files? 

#9 klsc85

klsc85

Track Layer

• Route Beta
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 02:37 AM

>What is the source of these SP_FREIGHT files?<

The folder that came with the Cascades Crossing route.  

Since I have no real understanding of mini installs, having never worked with any, that could be problem here.   

Uncle E

#10 cr-stagg

cr-stagg

Superintendent

• Beta Tester
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 06:02 AM

>What is the source of these SP_FREIGHT files?<

The folder that came with the Cascades Crossing route.  

Since I have no real understanding of mini installs, having never worked with any, that could be problem here.   

Uncle E

No the Freight folder that came with MLT Cascades Crossings was MLT_FREIGHT.   SP_FREIGHT may have come with another route which I do not have.

#11 klsc85

klsc85

Track Layer

• Route Beta
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 07:04 AM

Chuck, I'm going to dig into this as soon as I get home this evening (especially the "SP Freight" folder thing).  In the meantime, look at the Cascade Crossing pages on MLT's website:

http://www.mapleleaf...0&product_id=54

Click on the pages describing the equipment that comes with the Cascades Crossing route (the page headers say "Bridge LIne" but that's an error) and cross-reference the names of the equipment described with the file names that you show as missing (I'm sure you're using Conbuilder :) ).  If the names are the same, and you bought the Cascades Crossing route, then you should have that equipment somewhere.

I haven't heard from anyone else about this, but if others have having similar problems I'd appreciate getting a note from them.  If it's a matter of correcting an error in my instructions, I'll be more than happy to do that ASAP.

We'll get to the bottom of this!  

Uncle E  

#12 cr-stagg

cr-stagg

Superintendent

• Beta Tester
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 07:18 AM

Found it in the same Trainset folder as MLT_Freight.  Just must have been over looking it.

Sorry about the confusion.

#13 klsc85

klsc85

Track Layer

• Route Beta
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 08:19 AM

Not a problem, Chuck.  I noticed the thread you started at Trainsim.com, and, as usual, the community helped get things straightened out.  Now maybe you can finally take a crack at those activities.  Enjoy!

Uncle E

#14 cr-stagg

cr-stagg

Superintendent

• Beta Tester
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 08:55 AM

Who is Chuck?   That is what you put under airplane wheels.

#15 cr-stagg

cr-stagg

Superintendent

• Beta Tester
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 09:31 AM

Yes now I can get to the activities once I get all the K-Line WAGs swapped out or buy Rogers Pass.  But I already have a bunch of CP routes.

FYI

Re my comment about the Error in the SD file.  That causes MSTS to Error but OR does not error on that.

In looking for replacements for the K-Line containers I came across these downloads:  MSTS/ORTS ATWells Double Stack Ocean Sets

Those are complete WAGs that don't require payware shapes.  Some come with WAG files for ORTS which can easily be utilized by changing the folder named "ORTS_AAR-Couplers" to "Openrails".  That way the contents of second WAG file in the Openrails subfolder replace the one in the primary Wagon Folder.

And incase you are not aware there is the DekoSoft OR compatible Intermodal Freeware set at

http://www.dekosoft....reight-car-set/

#16 klsc85

klsc85

Track Layer

• Route Beta
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 09:53 AM

I wasn't aware of the DekoSoft set.  I'll certainly look that up.   

Oh, and sorry Charles.  As a former airman I should know better  :rolleyes:

Uncle E

#17 cr-stagg

cr-stagg

Superintendent

• Beta Tester
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 11:39 AM

airman as in Airman 1st Class or otherwise?  Did you happen to be at Altus AFB mid '60s?

LTC Ret.  US Army

#18 klsc85

klsc85

Track Layer

• Route Beta
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 04:58 PM

Replied by private message.

#19 cr-stagg

cr-stagg

Superintendent

• Beta Tester
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 07:36 PM

In looking for replacements for the K-Line containers I came across these downloads:  MSTS/ORTS ATWells Double Stack Ocean Sets

Those are complete WAGs that don't require payware shapes.  Some come with WAG files for ORTS which can easily be utilized by changing the folder named "ORTS_AAR-Couplers" to "Openrails".  That way the contents of second WAG file in the Openrails subfolder replace the one in the primary Wagon Folder.

Actually those files are not completely without a requirement payware.  Turns out some of the WAGs use an SMS that has calls to WAV files that are from SLI payware train sets.

#20 jiggywatt

jiggywatt

New Hire

• Route Beta
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 05:21 PM

Thanks, no problems here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users