Photo

Colorado Pics! 9/16/12

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
105 replies to this topic

#81 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:26 PM

After spending some time at Alpine Tunnel, and eating our delicious lunch, it was time to start the descent back to Pitkin, load up the bikes, and head for Crested Butte.

I will be closing with a few more pics of The Palisade area.

Trust me, there are a LOT more pics, mostly of the "texture" variety... but I've already posted a TON of Alpine Tunnel/Pass pictures!!

Attached Files

#82 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:27 PM

The granduer and ruggedness is simply fascinating...

Attached Files

#83 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:28 PM

Magnificent!

Attached Files

#84 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:29 PM

That's it for tonight. Tomorrow night I'll post the last of the pics. It will be pics from our dual sport bike ride in the Crested Butte to Gunnison area.

See' ya!

To Be Continued.

#85 cr-stagg

cr-stagg

Superintendent

• Beta Tester
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:58 AM

Andre,
Keep the pictures comming. We could not go to Colo this fall. Wife's HS reunion and grandsons first birthday took precedence. On last trip to Crested Butte area we went up to Paradise Divide on CR 734. Road barely wide enough for our Mountaineer.

And you have got me wondering what could be better than the ride "Kebler Pass to Ohio Pass"

#86 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:44 PM

Hi Charles!

I'll have to check out CR 734 on our maps.

As for something better than Kebler/Ohio: Well, you must remember that we took our dual sport bikes to Colorado so as to ride dirt roads and such. Turned out that Kebler/Ohio uses a LOT of pavement. For pavement riding, we prefer to ride our H-D Ultra Classic. You'll see in the pictures tonight.

That said... time to get on with the last installement of this mini-series!

Friday, our last day to play in Colorado:

Once again, there was heavy frost on the bikes in the morning. The lows were in the upper 20's or very low 30's for the night. Instead of riding the bikes like we ORIGINALLY thought, we decided to take the Blazer to go get breakfast. Good decision! By the time we finished breakfast and had returned to the motel... the bikes were thawed and it was time to suit-up and hit the road!

We started by riding our first planned route: Kebler Pass up to Ohio Pass, then start the descent from Ohio. However, once off of Ohio Pass, we begin to notice several buttes off to our right (southwest).

Here's a distant pic of the top of one of the buttes...

Attached Files

#87 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:47 PM

Soon, we arrived at the junction with the road we were looking for. Turning off the pavement onto a Forest Road, we were now on one of Fritz's routes. This was an "added-value" route! We hadn't gone very far at all and we were entering that really neat looking butte area. The road that we were on was definitely getting to be less and less maintained. For dual sport dirt riders, that's a good thing!

Here's a better look at some of the buttes we were seeing...

Attached Files

#88 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:49 PM

As per Fritz's instructions, we turned off the road less traveled... and got on a road even less traveled! Very soon after turning, the road simply became a farm trail/road and we started really getting into some remote feeling areas. There were also some neat aspen groves along the way. We loved it immediately!

Attached Files

#89 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:50 PM

Somehow, we were back into black sage country. Also, the mountains and nearby hills were very different than what we had been seeing. We really begin to enjoy this new territory!

This picture helps to illustrate that by this time we were essentially riding a farm trail.

Attached Files

#90 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:52 PM

It just kept getting better and more remote! Like I said, the hills and mountains were TOTALLY different than what we had been exploring the past several days. We were surprised at how much we enjoyed the change.

Here we are just simply soaking up the atmosphere and scene before us...

Attached Files

#91 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:55 PM

From here, we simply road and enjoyed the day. Eventually, we rejoined the Ohio Pass road near Gunnison... and bee-lined over to the Tic Toc for another great lunch. This time, I ordered the Philly Steak, but opted for their version with green chili's instead of green peppers. This version also came with a bowl of Salsa Verde to pour on it. It was great!

Following a lead from some of my dual sport/adventure riding online friends... here's a pic of the food!!!

Attached Files

#92 cr-stagg

cr-stagg

Superintendent

• Beta Tester
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:58 PM

Ahh The Castles!!!!

#93 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:58 PM

We were now going to ride the same route in reverse. Amazingly, on almost any mountain-type trail, doing this you get to see things going the opposite way that you didn't see when riding from the other direction. This proved to be no exception as we saw vistas that had eluded us coming the other direction.

OH... forgot to mention, it was on this road that we noticed very distant mountains (the San Juan's over toward Lake City) that were completely snow capped. It had indeed snowed in the upper elevations the other night! My oh my, we love Colorado!

Here's a pic of some of one of the rock formations among the black sage along the way...

Attached Files

#94 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:00 PM

Some very odd rock formations were seen all along this route that Fritz shared with us. If you look real close (expand the picture by clicking on it), you should be able to detect that there are CONE shaped rock formations along this particular outcropping!

Attached Files

#95 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:02 PM

I tried to stop and take a picture that captured the absolute back road feel this section had. It had that "islolation" feel I was telling you about earlier! Loved it!

Attached Files

#96 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:03 PM

Getting ready to enter another of the aspen groves that were sprinkled along the way...

Attached Files

#97 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:05 PM

Here and there, we saw several side roads that meandered off toward the ridges... but I didn't want to get Sharon into a trail situation she would be uncomfortable with (i.e. like rocks and ruts, steep uphills, etc), so we stayed with the farm road.

However, we espied this one that led off into an aspen grove... and it looked smooth enough... so we went for it!

We were rewarded by being able to be up in an aspen grove that was fully bedecked in autumn foliage. It was serene being there!

Attached Files

#98 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:07 PM

Another view of the same trail...

Attached Files

#99 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:09 PM

Eventually, we neared the exit point of this fantastic farm trail we had been riding for 20 or so miles. As we did, an entirely new view of that butte scene opened up before us! Here's a pic of it...

Attached Files

#100 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:13 PM

Heading back up Ohio Pass toward Kebler Pass... the sun was fully up and the aspens were splendid! Along the way back to Crested Butte, I stopped and tried to shoot a few pictures in the attempt to take a bit of Colorado back home with is. Alas, though you can capture some images that help stir your memories... there is simply NO WAY to capture the imensity of Colorado, nor the breath-taking scenes!

Attached Files