• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Bananarama

Bananarama

The Big Kahuna

• 3DTrains Admin
  • 8,103 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 10:49 AM

I posted this on another forum regarding the closure of the USGS National Map in favor of the National Viewer for downloading DEM data. The new system works faster, but does take a bit to get used to and is IMHO pretty cumbersome. At any rate, here are the steps to downloading DEM (pardon me if I missed anything):
  1. Go to the National Viewer page: http://viewer.nationalmap.gov/viewer/
  2. Zoom to an area encompassing the sections you wish to download (Tip: double left-click your mouse pointed at the area you're interested in until you reach the desired extent)
  3. Click on the "Download Data" button in the upper-right of the viewer
  4. Click the link in the popup window "Click Here to download current map extent
  5. From the new popup, check the box for "Elevation" and from the drop down menu to the right select "BIL_16INT" and click the "Next" button
  6. In the next window, select from the available packages and click "Next"
  7. The selection will appear in the left menu - click the "Checkout" button
  8. Enter your email address to receive the links to the data download

Whew! tongue.gif

#2 ajwtcb

ajwtcb

Dispatcher

• Beta Tester
  • 512 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:35 PM

I thought that as well. I found the "Use Map Extents" option a lot faster than trying to select individual areas. I just zoomed and roughly positioned to the area I needed, clicked the Download Data button as you mentioned, but clicked the Use Map Extents link. It was a bit easier to select a larger area and get a better idea of what data was consistently available across the area I was looking at.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users