Photo

New PC System vs. RailWorks 3 or TS2012

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 nlmcm

nlmcm

Conductor

• 3DTrains Moderator
  • 348 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:55 PM

After several years of cost cutting here and there all my pennies.....finally able to break away from my old P4, 1.33GHz Duo Core = 2.67GHz, with 4GB RAM and nVidia 260GTX, and purchase:

Custom built (to my exact specifications):

Intel 5, 2550k (overclockable to 30% or 4.5GHz plus) 3.483GHz Quad
16GB DDR3, at 1600MhZ
3 - SSD Hard Drives totaling 300GHz for Win 7 Pro 64-bit; FSX (& related addons) on #2 and RW3 on # 3. Pauses simply no longer are noticeable.
1 TB for all other day to day software programs.
nVidia 560 GTX - 2GB
And 8 fans to keep it all cool and dust free. No liquid cooling.

With sufficient UPS power to expand as needed.

CyberpowerPC built the unit, thanfully their techs advised of any conflicts of hardware to not only align with the warranties, but to ensure that the system was in compliance to Intel Protection of the CPU's Cores.

AT2012, whether it be WCML or Donner Pass at maxxed settings, was shelling out between 25 up to 70FRS, but I have to say, all such graphic settings in RW menu, need NOT all be maxed, TSX on or off.

I designed this unit dedicated solely for FSX and RW3, as they get priority with the systems resources, all other software is simply bread and butter.

As of this date, have not needed to utilize overclocking, do not need to. Railworks, throw your worst at me, am ready - finally.

One important point of my research revealed this: An Intel 5 is only 2% slower than a comparable Intel 7, so why spend $100-$150 more?

By all means, any information I can provide you with, write at your earliest.

Clickity-clack,

#2 Bananarama

Bananarama

The Big Kahuna

• 3DTrains Admin
  • 8,103 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:06 AM

Oooh - Peter's got a new toy! biggrin.gif

Cheers!
Marc

#3 nlmcm

nlmcm

Conductor

• 3DTrains Moderator
  • 348 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:18 PM

And unless something catastrophic happens to this system, most likely my last PC build for the rest of my natural life, course, as I age, may forget where it is, password, or how to turn it on. sad.gif biggrin.gif

Clickity-Clack,

Peter

#4 StoneColdPanda

StoneColdPanda

Railfan

• Valued Customer
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:03 AM

I built a similar system,
i-5 250K (can't remember if I OC'd or not)
AMD 7980 GPU, which is OC'd
2 SSD's, one for the OS and a second for game

I've been able to run everything at max so far and don't remember my FPS ever dropping lower than 30

I agree that for a gaming machine the i5 is a better choice than the i7. Few games make use of all four physical cores and none make use of virtual cores that I know of. Video editing software is the only case I know of where the virtual cores of the i7 pay off.

#5 nlmcm

nlmcm

Conductor

• 3DTrains Moderator
  • 348 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:31 AM

QUOTE(StoneColdPanda @ Dec 22 2012, 9:44 AM) View Post

I built a similar system,
i-5 250K (can't remember if I OC'd or not)
AMD 7980 GPU, which is OC'd
2 SSD's, one for the OS and a second for game

I've been able to run everything at max so far and don't remember my FPS ever dropping lower than 30

I agree that for a gaming machine the i5 is a better choice than the i7. Few games make use of all four physical cores and none make use of virtual cores that I know of. Video editing software is the only case I know of where the virtual cores of the i7 pay off.

I recall when a processor from Intel i.e., 2550K, indicates that the processor is overclockable.

I have not pushed the system to max yet, only 10%, but with RW, is not needed. I have this system to run FSX, and no, I cannot push the system to full tilt (crashes, which am thankful for, as opposed to overheating), because their thus far is no such animal to run FSX in that fashion.

Am pleased how much smoother it is now, even with add-ons like Weather and external commercial AI traffic.

The key is mostly in the graphic cards, my system is only nVidia mid-range units, some day when I hit the lottery....

Clickity-clack,

Peter