Photo

Question regarding Hobbs VSC steam sounds pack.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 RichF

RichF

New Hire

• Valued Customer
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:06 AM

I was so thrilled the Ozark Northern had a Shay on their roster, that when I saw the comment line about better sound files available I didn't hesitate purchasing them.

The VSC steam pack description was upfront regarding a somewhat involved set up process, but that there were step-by-step instructions included. After seeing the instructions, and considering my computer skills, I'm a little leary.

I think I could/would just use an app like notepad to do the editing, and follow the example verbatim to change the .eng file.

So would I then move the original file out of the trainset directory and save the edited file with a different name (with the .eng extension) within the directory?

I'm a little nervous with deciphering the instructions. I know the statement will hang if the parenthesis aren't correct, but in some places I can't tell about spacing. Will the statement hang it there is an extra or omitted space i.e. ( xxx) opposed to ( xxx)?

Thanks,
Rich

#2 S. Weaver

S. Weaver

Dispatcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:16 PM

Hey Rich, I worked with Bill and Andre on this pack - must've been a hundred years ago ... Just some pointers:

Before you do anything, with an .eng file or .wag file, save it with the extension .old. That way if you lay an egg, you still have your old file. Open them in a text program like wordpad or notepad, and just change one parameter at time, constantly checking your edits. Spaces tend not to matter but paranthesis do, since they define the argument.

I would start with a .wag file since they are small, and listen to the sound changes. The .eng files are more involved.

#3 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:29 PM

Steve:

Thanks for stepping in and helping me out. Rich's post slipped in on me under the radar. I've been working long hours 6 days a week and simply missed it.

Rich:

MSTS uses "Unicode" for its textual files. Be sure you use a reader/editor that will save in Unicode. What most of us do is use Wordpad. When finished with your edits in Wordpad, hit the "Save" option and NOT the "Save As". Wordpad will automatically save in Unicode using the "Save" feature.

It's not that hard to start learning to "tweak" your wag and eng files, just be sure to make a copy of the original before you start hacking away at it!