Photo

News Flash! (Now w/Pic) 11/15/11

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 06:56 PM

From the St. Paul's newspaper "The Mountain Air*" (moto: It's Always Blowing.*')...

"RAILS REACH PETTIGREW!!!

Amid much excitement and anticipation, the rails of the Fayetteville & Little Rock have reached Pettigrew, Arkansas! The entire town was jubulant with the arrival of the two ribbons of steel. Fireworks boomed in the air, celebration abounded, even the canines of the town howled in accord with the big doings going on.

Fortunately there were no serious injuries during the various fireworks displays, nor were there many arrests made for drunken disorderly conduct in conjunction with discharging firearms within the township limits.

Pettigrew's connection with the outside world, yay, indeed their very survival as a bonefide Township, is now secure.

'We're just happier than a mud-wallowing hog laying in the sunshine!' remarked Pettigrew's Mayor, The Honorable I.M. Haughtaire.

Though town residents made like it was to become a most important terminal on the F&LR, truth is the rails are just passing through on their way over the Ozarks and to the riverboat town of Lewisbury. Still, this fact did not dampen the enthusiasm of those attending. Passing through or not, many timber companies are already represented in town and have purchased land for their saw mills.

No doubt, prosperous times are ahead for Pettigrew."

smile.gif

* The name "The Mountain Air" is factual and the moto "It's Always Blowing" is indeed attributed to St. Paul's long defunct newspaper.

EDIT: Below is a composite pic illustrating the same approximate location in Pettigrew during the 1920's, sometime last winter, and the rails arriving (just a few minutes ago!) in the virtual 1889 version!

Attached Files

#2 milepost56

milepost56

Commissioner

• 3DTrains Moderator
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 07:48 PM

Nice work Andre....WOW smile.gif smile.gif

Talk about capturing the real McCoy wink.gif

#3 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 09:15 PM

From The St. Paul Mountain Air...

"RAILS HEADING EAST!

The revellers barely had time to stagger out of the way amid their revelling in regards to the rails reaching Pettigrew, before the 'gandy dancers' of the F&LR began to slap down ties and rail for the new passing track, station track, team track, as well as the spurs for several timber concerns.

The rails of the F&LR are now poised to assault the first major divide standing between them and the mighty rolling waters of the Arkansas River at Lewisburg, the F&LR's chartered eastern terminus. Amid the throngs of enthusiasts profusely celebrating the arrival of the F&LR railroad at Pettigrew, our intrepid reporter was able to slueth about and find a Railroad Official.

Fortunately, said reporter was able to revive the somewhat innebriated Official long enough to learn that the grade immediately starting at the east end of Pettigrew will be 2.09% for almost the first mile, then steepen to just over 3% for the remaining several miles to the small Ozark mountain town of Boston. Very sharp curves and significant trestle work will be required to reach the first summit. At least, that is what our intrepid reporter deduced what the Railroad Official was attempting to say prior to said Official passing out again from over-indulgence of spirited drink.

As the Fayetteville & Little Rock makes its laborious way through the heart of the Ozarks, our field reporter for the St. Paul Mountain Air will be there to record, and report, the progress."

smile.gif

Silly, aren't I?

Kevin:

It's fun working from prototype references. However, now that the rails have left Pettigrew, I must attempt to determine what the creators of the actual Fayetteville & Little Rock would need to do in order to reach their chartered terminal of Lewisburg, Arkansas. I can say this, after shooting that line up this first divide, and now perched to run the ridge the line was going to use to the point it was to descend from the top of the Ozarks... the visionaries of the Fayetteville & Little Rock didn't lack of audacity!!!

au da cious:

1a : intrepidly daring : adventurous <an audacious mountain climber> b : recklessly bold : rash <an audacious maneuver>

As evidence of their audaciousness, I submit the following Route Editor screen shots of recent progress...

Attached Files

#4 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 09:16 PM

Last one for now...

Attached Files

#5 TheGrindre

TheGrindre

Engineer

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 09:54 PM

Was there any loggin'? Narrow gauge or otherwise? There's gotta be some. Those are mountains in them thar pitchers you're showing. Don't think I ever met a mountain that didn't have a tree or two on it.
biggrin.gif

#6 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 10:45 PM

Hi Rickster!!

Glad you stopped by and shared some input!

Logging? Indeed there was logging. On the prototype Fayetteville & Little Rock, the towns of St. Paul and Pettigrew both were major logging/milling centers with several sawmills in each town. Pettigrew was known as the "Hardwood capital of the world". I'll have to dig out some prototype pics and post. In 1887, ONE mill was noted to have shipped over 1 million dollars worth of white oak ties ITS FIRST YEAR OF OPERATION. At 25 cents a tie, that's a LOT of railcar loads!!!

Bear in mind though, that once the virtual rails leave Pettigrew, I am on my own in regards to trying to lay rail and reach the town that the prototype charter specified... on account of the prototype never reached it! Thus, on the projected portions, I can also place a few mills at logical places on the route through the mountains on the way to Lewisburg.

As for narrow gauge: As I recall (strangely) there was NO narrow gauge in the Ozarks*. Very odd, for it could have been used to access the timber and such much more cost-effective than standard gauge.

* A 3' gauge line was proposed up in Yell County, but as I recall, history records only about a mile was built and it fizzled out long before it actually turned revenue.

All:

Just had to pop into the sim and see what the above would look like with the Distant Mountains and such. Though this is still very much a "raw" route (i.e. NOTHING but track and unaltered terrain)... I still thought the following pics rather amazing to say the least! Can't believe they were actually going to build this line through this portion of the Ozarks!!!

First pic: Sitting at the town of Boston. Note how far the range of mountains goes to the south/south east!!

Attached Files

#7 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 10:46 PM

Next up: Still at Boston, looking east/northeast. Like the other direction... the mountains seem to go on forever.

Attached Files

#8 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 10:48 PM

Still at Boston...

This scene shows the ridge the Fayetteville & Little Rock intended to run as far as needed in order to use a watercourse to descend and make a run for the Arkansas River Valley. Note the placer track pieces I'm already placing to determine gradient/etc. Rugged, huh???

Attached Files

#9 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 10:51 PM

Last one...

A track side view so you can get an idea of what it looks like from track level.

I find this F&LR concept to be very, very gratifying thus far. Don't know why I didn't think of this concept years ago!!

Welp... all for now. It's off to bed so I can head off to work tomorrow in order to generate the needed funds to support all this lunacy!!

Attached Files

#10 S. Weaver

S. Weaver

Dispatcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 11:20 AM

What a hoot, bro! Now I know what you've been up to. I can feel yer enthusiasm from here. I might even have to drop the sandpaper for a while and cheer you on.

Never forget our ride through and stopping at St Paul. No fistfights or moonshine, but we could "see" it all, including the grades of the imaginary ON. Glad you're back out there with your cyber transit ...

#11 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 07:05 PM

Steve!!! Good to "see" you here! Glad you and Mrs. Ann are doing well. Boats are cool... but trains rule. tongue.gif

Lemme' get to what you done said...

> What a hoot, bro! Now I know what you've been up to.

To this point, the track work for the F&LR has taken shape pretty quickly. (Started laying rail a few days into November... and as of now I have around 40 miles of track n' towns ready for scenery!!!) However, I suspect things will slow up now that I'm into the SURE' NUF mountains. Got spoiled laying track in that White River Valley!!!

> I can feel yer enthusiasm from here.

Well... like I said. I don't know why I haven't connected the dots before to realize that I could hit two of my all time favorite defunct regional lines (the F&LR/St. Paul Branch and the Black Mountain & Eastern) by taking this approach.

I do recall thinking about constructing the Frisco's St. Paul Branch early on in MSTS... but there is a Great White Void between Fayetteville and Combs that killed the project. With the advent of MSTS Bin fixing the Great White Void issue, this project became do-able... but I didn't stumble upon the idea of modeling it as it was originally CHARTERED and taking it from there. Instead, I always thought in terms of modeling it after the Frisco purchase thus the track would halt at Pettigrew. OR, protolance a very short portion of it as I did on the Ozark Northern.

> I might even have to drop the sandpaper for a while and cheer you on.

I hope you do drop in more often! I always look forward to a Stevie post.

> Never forget our ride through and stopping at St Paul.

Fun, wasn't it? Sharon and I plan to be up in that region all day tomorrow. I'll have my folders on hand with topos and pics, and it's our goal to find the locations of the old towns of Delaney, Crosses, Patrick (Powell), Thompson... as well as find the location of the Phipps Bros sawmill at Cass and try to determine the way the BM&E accessed the valley floor at Cass. (Conflicting historical info on that item.) We're both looking forward to spending the day out in the mountains that we both enjoy so much.

> No fistfights or moonshine, but we could "see" it all, including
> the grades of the imaginary ON.

Well... if I knew then what I have learned since your visit... I could have shown you the roadbed of the F&LR/Frisco St. Paul Branch right at the edge of town!

> Glad you're back out there with your cyber transit...

And the cool thing is: This one was actually constructed and operated by the prototype from Fayette Jct to Pettigrew... and was charterd and surveyed to reach Lewisburg, Arkansas. Now that my rails are past Pettigrew... I'm just trying to finish it to Lewisburg for them!!! (And having a ton of fun in the process!)