Photo

New Philadelphia to Massilon

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
69 replies to this topic

#1 rgarber

rgarber

Dispatcher

• All Aboard!
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 05:01 AM

Back to the birthplace of All Aboard railroading... Ohio! In fact it's just a little north of where Ohio Rails is located. This is another little route... lemme qualify that.... it's actually kind of sizeable only it's divided up in to long spurs and mainline and lots of nook & cranny stuff where I haven't the foggiest idea how long it is. smile.gif

But it's in the works with most of the track laid at this point. There's plenty of industry on this route folks.. and unfortunately for me, they are steel mills. What was I thinking!? ohmy.gif Not only steel mills but rolling mills. Sure be nice to pull the longhairwizard out of retirement about now, wouldn't it? He was always going on about steel mills and now we got a route full of them.

There's a little bit more information about the route here, but not much.

http://railworksamer...i...?f=13&t=689

I know very little about the route itself as it is today except an outfit called RJ Coreman or Coleman runs the route nowadays. In the old days I think it was a B&O route. The irony of this route is that not only does a whole different rail line intersects with this route but it runs up to a nearby city, Canton. And in Canton is another one of those Steel Mills. We're talking lots of expansion for this route like my own Canton had. While looking over this interesting area a couple of weeks ago I was even tempted to name the route New Canton. Kind of a play on words there... wink.gif uh, never mind. unsure.gif

That's it, as they say, a WIP. Any input for the route will be deeply appreciated.

Rich

#2 Spin

Spin

Motorman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 06:10 AM

RJ Corman Click on "Cleveland Line"

Not sure why they call it the Cleveland Line, when it's 45 miles from Cleveland.

The prototype was the B&O "CL&W Sub", CSX sold it to RJ Corman, and the OVS can't wait to get it's hands on it. LOL

#3 SAR704

SAR704

Dispatcher

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 07:13 AM

I'd love to see the screenshots Rich. But unfortunately the forum seems to require registration before this is possible. Would there be a chance you could post them elsewhere, or link directly to the image?

#4 rgarber

rgarber

Dispatcher

• All Aboard!
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 03:34 AM

Let's see...

This is an overview of the route in this first pic. The left side is from the 2d screen of Railworks, the right side if from GoogleEarth. The RW view is zoomed out quite a bit so you won't see any industrial spurs.

NewPhillyroute.jpg

The second pic is of the Steel Mill in Massilon, Oh; the north end of the route. The b&w imagery are decals you can lay very quickly for route building using RWDecal. The decals come from GoogleEarth and the reason they are b&w is because none of the recent views of the area in color showed the Steel Mill still standing. These decals are from 1994.

steelmill_small2.jpg

The mill and its surrounding area are pretty large so I can't show you the whole place at once. The top pic of the 2nd picture is looking south towards the mill. The actual furnaces appear to be the big glob in the middle. The tracks on the left side which run the perimeter of the yard I'm guessing are some kind of interchange point between the B&O and N&W which both ran in this area. I'm guessing this as there are plenty of yards within the facility down in the southern end.

The bottom portion of the picture shows the south end looking north. The track in the middle is the mainline whereas the track on the right comes from the mainline and feeds what I believe is an interchange point. The left side you can make out two yards. There's the real long one of about four tracks which connects to another yard of about twelve tracks. I think the lighter area nearby is a steek structure assembly point where finished steel is stored and then moved out. There's a single feed track which runs through the middle. I'm guessing though as steel mills isn't something I'm real familiar with. For referencing sake just a little above that structure area would be the trackage you see in the top portion of the picture.

This picture btw is a little dated as 99.9% of the track in the steel mill is now placed. I'm going to have to make my own steel mill models and have been researching what they look like. What confuses me is I can't find the ore yard. There appears, if you use GoogleEarth, some kind of ore piling across the small river but I don't see it connecting to this mainline directly. I'm kinda thinking this is not a full fledge steel mill because there's one just a little ways away in Canton. I have a diagram of the plant which does refer to an Open Hearth but it looks a little bit too simplistic for a blast furnace.

Working on it though, any input appreciated!

Rich

#5 SAR704

SAR704

Dispatcher

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 04:42 AM

Thanks for posting the shots Rich. How'd you get that Google earth photo pasted on to the terrain? Is there some kind of trick available which allows you to import your own terrain textures now? I thought it couldn't be done in this sim.

#6 rgarber

rgarber

Dispatcher

• All Aboard!
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 05:48 AM

RWDecal by Jim Knobbs makes this incredibly easy. http://www.rwdecal.co.uk/ - Rich

#7 Spin

Spin

Motorman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 11:45 AM

Just north of the mill the railroad crosses the busy PRR mainline from NY-Chicago. There's some interchange here. North of that is a gravel pit.

All three railroads had access to the mill, some of the yards would be for the big railroads coming in and interchanging, some would be for ore, scrap, limestone, coke, and coil gon storage until needed. And hoppers for cooled slag. Inside the plant would be hot metal cars and hot slag cars.

This was one of the primary mills for stainless steel during it's heyday. If that helps.

I remember seeing the blast furnace fires from US 21 about a half mile away. It made quite an impression.

Here's a simple site I found, I'll search out some more when I get home tomorrow.
http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Steel_mill

#8 rgarber

rgarber

Dispatcher

• All Aboard!
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 02:29 PM

Thanks Mike. I ordered a couple of books and one is about Republic Steel which owned the mills in Canton, Cleveland and Massilon. I'm hoping to see a picture of the Massilon mill. This is quite confusing as even going through the mill with a magnifying glass didn't produce anything that looked like a blast furnance. Maybe they used Open Hearth?

I just finished laying track up the gravel pit, so I got the whole route done as far as track goes. I'll try and get a pic up soon of the last bit.

9.jpg
Looking from north to south (towards the steel mill)

Rich

#9 rgarber

rgarber

Dispatcher

• All Aboard!
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 05:21 AM

Here's a better shot of the mill:

7b.jpg

Rich

#10 rgarber

rgarber

Dispatcher

• All Aboard!
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 02:06 AM

Here's one of the first rolling mills for the Massilon Steel Mill. I started this building yesterday and it's coming along pretty quick. It measures 800' long and a little over 80' tall. Probably closer to 90' tall if I include the roof vents. It's based on a prototype found in Cleveland. - Rich

rollingmill1.jpg

#11 plethaus

plethaus

Station Clerk

• Valued Customer
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 01:18 PM

This looks great. You know I'll be there "opening day" biggrin.gif

#12 rgarber

rgarber

Dispatcher

• All Aboard!
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 04:59 AM

QUOTE(plethaus @ Jun 8 2010, 3:59 PM) View Post

This looks great. You know I'll be there "opening day" biggrin.gif

Thanks Molly. smile.gif

Here's the mill now with a few textures on it. - Rich

rollingmillin3dc2.jpg

#13 rgarber

rgarber

Dispatcher

• All Aboard!
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 04:31 PM

And from the other side, WIP - Rich

rollingmillin3dc3.jpg

#14 rgarber

rgarber

Dispatcher

• All Aboard!
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 06:12 PM

2nd mill building on deck. Still some detailing to do before texturing. - Rich

RM2_G.jpg

#15 rgarber

rgarber

Dispatcher

• All Aboard!
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 04:35 AM

Finished version.

mill3dc2.jpg

#16 Bananarama

Bananarama

The Big Kahuna

• 3DTrains Admin
  • 8,103 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 06:10 AM

That looks terrific, Rich. I can hardly wait to see the final scene in RW. smile.gif

Cheers!
Marc

#17 rgarber

rgarber

Dispatcher

• All Aboard!
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 03:59 AM

Thanks Marc! smile.gif

I've been dabbling with the Open Hearth Furnace somewhat and most of the big stuff is not complete. The little details like doors, windows and such come next. Here's the latest. It's hard to get a good picture of this building because it's 800' long.

rollingmillin3dc3.jpg

Work on the next mill, which I think is a Bloom mill (1100 ft. long), has already started. The basic shape is already set, time to add textures coming soon.

Rich

#18 rgarber

rgarber

Dispatcher

• All Aboard!
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 06:32 AM

The next mill...

rm3_model.jpg

Rich

#19 rgarber

rgarber

Dispatcher

• All Aboard!
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 06:26 PM

Left side of mill nearly done, working on right side (picture coming soon).

mill4Lside.jpg

#20 rgarber

rgarber

Dispatcher

• All Aboard!
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 12:40 PM

Aerial view of the same mill.

BloommillLtop.jpg

Rich