Photo

An alternate route to San Diego?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 ctempire

ctempire

Motorman

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 12:57 PM

Hello everyone, I was concerned that my Desert Route won't use Carrizo Gorge and Mexico due to sharp curves. Is there's another path where I could lay track that has some sort of "transcontinental railroad" feel, from Plaster City to El Cajon directly?

#2 amtk775

amtk775

Motorman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 03:25 PM

Err...no?
I think there's a UP cutoff between some point on the Sunset Route and El Centro, but that might be totally unrelated.

#3 oldrailfan

oldrailfan

Registered Ferroequinologist

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 03:50 PM

QUOTE(ctempire @ Nov 7 2009, 4:38 PM) View Post

Hello everyone, I was concerned that my Desert Route won't use Carrizo Gorge and Mexico due to sharp curves. Is there's another path where I could lay track that has some sort of "transcontinental railroad" feel, from Plaster City to El Cajon directly?

Look at a highway map from Plaster City to El Cajon... The highway doesn't go straight, and a highway can climb a lot faster than a railroad. Look at a terrain map - Plaster City is near Sea Level and El Cajon is at about 900 feet, but the mountains go to over 5000 feet in about 50 straight-line miles between the two. Spreckels and Co. used the best possible route for a railroad without major (as in miles-long) tunneling. That has been the major limitation of the Desert Line; modern long cars and three-axle truck locomotives just don't fit on the curves and in the tunnels, and you can't get around the problem.

#4 nat

nat

Engineer

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 08:06 PM

Hmm, try making the route as you go along, if you have to make the route have a 3.3% grade, DO IT! But are you asking for a real route that exists or a fictional route?

#5 ctempire

ctempire

Motorman

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 08:43 AM

QUOTE(nat @ Nov 7 2009, 6:47 PM) View Post

Hmm, try making the route as you go along, if you have to make the route have a 3.3% grade, DO IT! But are you asking for a real route that exists or a fictional route?

The route will be designed as semi-real and semi-fictional. I've also completed track laying in the Rice to Ripley branch, a fictional extension to Palo Verde, and a part of the trolley line between Santee and somewhere in the Orange Line.