Photo

Signal Question for my route

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 railfan101

railfan101

New Hire

• Valued Customer
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 03:41 PM

I am having a little trouble with my route at the moment. I am getting no answers at the train-sim forum, so I thought I try my luck here. My problem is I attempted to install new signals to my route, but I ruined my route in the process and I had to reinstall the thing. My question is, can I replace the signals, install the signals, and not have to redo all of the work iput into this route, or do ihave to start from square one?

Tom
RVL Creator

Any Questions regarding the RVL Route to be posted at train-sim.com.

#2 GaryG

GaryG

Conductor

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 05:24 PM

Hi

Not an real expert but if the route appears to have no errors it should be safe to add the signals again. That's if you had the route saved in a state where it was intact without database errors and preferably before signal installs had been started.

The signals and road traffic should be the last things added to a route and once these are added, never attempt a database rebuild as I understand that is a way to instantly turn a route into mush with a corrupted database.

Hopefully if this "advice" is incorrect, we will hear quite soon; perhaps wait a day or so to see if I'm shot down or not by saying this ;-)

GaryG

#3 railfan101

railfan101

New Hire

• Valued Customer
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 06:01 PM

QUOTE(GaryG @ Apr 25 2009, 5:05 PM) View Post

Hi

Not an real expert but if the route appears to have no errors it should be safe to add the signals again. That's if you had the route saved in a state where it was intact without database errors and preferably before signal installs had been started.

The signals and road traffic should be the last things added to a route and once these are added, never attempt a database rebuild as I understand that is a way to instantly turn a route into mush with a corrupted database.

Hopefully if this "advice" is incorrect, we will hear quite soon; perhaps wait a day or so to see if I'm shot down or not by saying this ;-)

GaryG

The actual route is in the train-sim library, and yes, it is free of errors. But I want to wait to see if I do or do not need to manually delete all of the signals.

#4 GaryG

GaryG

Conductor

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 09:03 PM

Hi

From experience with the Kicking Horse Pass V2 route, I have changed signals after defining a new type and also have 'just' moved an existing signal a few feet to get it to work properly.

I did not need to start from scratch with these changes. I just suggest trying one change, after saving the before version of course, then test the route around the change. I suggest in both directions and from four signals away or so.

Once you've confirmed things didn't break, try changing more (and more as experience grows). The big item is to be able to restore back to a point before the latest changes. I'd also keep the original backup until enough testing after the final version confirms the route is still entirely sane.

GaryG

#5 jovet

jovet

Brakeman

• 3DTrains
  • 72 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 01:37 PM

QUOTE(railfan101 @ Apr 25 2009, 7:42 PM) View Post
But I want to wait to see if I do or do not need to manually delete all of the signals.

If the route has signals placed on it, you can't touch the configuration information (in the sigcfg.dat file) for signal shapes that are placed. (Unless you really know what you're doing.) The signal setups can be removed from the sigcfg.dat file once the placed signals are removed.

The way I prefer to do it is to add the signals I want to use to the sigcfg.dat file. Then I go through the route and place the new signals on the route and delete the old ones as I go. I then verify that I got all of the old signals out with a utility I made (but Route Riter would work) and then take their configuration information out of the route.