Photo

Error reading train database file Question

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 Old Geaser

Old Geaser

Stationmaster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 10:22 AM

I have recently installed a new route. On most of the activities when trying to start the act, I get the pop up saying "Error reading train database" and it refers to a line number and the engine.

I checked Microsoft Help and Support on this. It says the train database is corrupted and says to delete Train Simulator and reinstall to a new folder. Boy that will take a couple days.

I have checked a few acts in some of the other routes I have and they are working. I would think if the database was corrupted that the other routes would be have the database error.

Has anyone had this experience and if so did you have to reinstall everything? Thanks

Bert

#2 stresstool

stresstool

Stationmaster

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 11:15 AM

That error message usually just means there's a missing .wag or .eng file. Run Routeriter on that new route and it'll highlight all that may be wrong with it. ('Check Route' and 'Check Activities').

#3 steam4me

steam4me

Stationmaster

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 01:04 PM

QUOTE(Old Geaser @ Jun 18 2008, 3:03 AM) View Post

I have recently installed a new route. On most of the activities when trying to start the act, I get the pop up saying "Error reading train database" and it refers to a line number and the engine.

Number One Point: you don't need to re-install MSTS.

Error Reading Train Database may help; the payware Conbuilder may also help.

If you have a specific line number in the error message, it usually means that there is an error in the file at that position.

Use ConTEXT Editor and turn on line numbers to look at the faulty line in the ENG file. If you can't find the error, post back here.

If it's an activity installed with a route, you may be able to switch rolling stock to something that works.

HTH.

#4 Old Geaser

Old Geaser

Stationmaster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 02:26 PM

Thank you both for the response.

The engines are not missing in trainset. I am not really well versed using routeriter. I did check route and activities. It did not show any errors for the route.

The error message does show a line number.
Using ConText editor I opened the eng file and could not see any line numbers. As the numbers are 186 and 202 it would be hard to count them. Not sure I would recognize a mistake anyway.
Using Activity Master, I changed engines and when starting I get another number for each engine I changed.

If reinstalling msts would fix it, I really do not mind doing that. The route is East Metro rebuild EMRR-2

As you most likely have figured out, I am not that savy on computer files etc. Have run hundreds of acts. Any suggestions? Thanks

QUOTE(steam4me @ Jun 17 2008, 12:45 PM) View Post

Number One Point: you don't need to re-install MSTS.

Error Reading Train Database may help; the payware Conbuilder may also help.

If you have a specific line number in the error message, it usually means that there is an error in the file at that position.

Use ConTEXT Editor and turn on line numbers to look at the faulty line in the ENG file. If you can't find the error, post back here.

If it's an activity installed with a route, you may be able to switch rolling stock to something that works.

HTH.

#5 xpdingo

xpdingo

Motorman

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 02:47 PM

QUOTE(Old Geaser @ Jun 17 2008, 5:07 PM) View Post

Thank you both for the response.

The engines are not missing in trainset. I am not really well versed using routeriter. I did check route and activities. It did not show any errors for the route.

The error message does show a line number.
Using ConText editor I opened the eng file and could not see any line numbers. As the numbers are 186 and 202 it would be hard to count them. Not sure I would recognize a mistake anyway.
Using Activity Master, I changed engines and when starting I get another number for each engine I changed.

If reinstalling msts would fix it, I really do not mind doing that. The route is East Metro rebuild EMRR-2

As you most likely have figured out, I am not that savy on computer files etc. Have run hundreds of acts. Any suggestions? Thanks

Why don't you post the question in the Activity Generator forum, maybe Steve or Norm could help

#6 steam4me

steam4me

Stationmaster

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 04:07 PM

QUOTE(Old Geaser @ Jun 18 2008, 7:07 AM) View Post

Using ConText editor I opened the eng file and could not see any line numbers. As the numbers are 186 and 202 it would be hard to count them.

Open ConTEXT.

Options | Environment Options | Editor | [x] Line Numbers (that was in the tutorial I linked for you).

Also, in ConTEXT you can type Ctrl-G (go) to jump to a given line.

Can you tell us which file, which line number? We may be able to help.

#7 cr-stagg

cr-stagg

Superintendent

• Beta Tester
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 05:07 PM

Also if the line # in the error message does not exist (file ends with line 150 and error is at line 212) then error is probably a missing parens.

#8 Old Geaser

Old Geaser

Stationmaster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 05:22 PM

I could not figure where to enter ctrl-g. (They do not call me Old Geaser for my looks)

Here is the 3 numbers I get.

I thing I said before this is the new East Metro EMRR-2 Just issued..

Error reading datafile file File: Line202 I click OK and this pops up
trains\trainset\emr-gp38-2\emrr-gp38-2.eng

File: Line186
trains\trainset\emr-gp9-hi\emrr-gp9-hi.eng

File: Line187
trains\trainset\emr-rs3\emrr-rs3.eng

File: Line 169
trains\trainset\emr-sw1200\emrr-sw1200.eng

Hope this helps. Thanks

Bert

QUOTE(steam4me @ Jun 17 2008, 3:48 PM) View Post

Open ConTEXT.

Options | Environment Options | Editor | [x] Line Numbers (that was in the tutorial I linked for you).

#9 cr-stagg

cr-stagg

Superintendent

• Beta Tester
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 05:39 PM

QUOTE(Old Geaser @ Jun 17 2008, 7:03 PM) View Post

I could not figure where to enter ctrl-g. (They do not call me Old Geaser for my looks)

Bert,
On your keyboard. Hold down the Control (or CTRL) key and press the "G" key. Then enter the line number you want to find.

#10 Old Geaser

Old Geaser

Stationmaster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 08:36 PM

Thanks Charles for telling me how to use cont g

I opened each engine file and entered the line numbers. Here is what I found. All are under Lights

Line 202 Unit ( 5 )

Line 186 Unit ( 4 )

Line 187 Unit ( 4 )

Line 169 Unit ( 4 )

I have no idea what this means. I do not know why I get the error reading those numbers. I have installed the engine file 3 times overwriting. It is a exe file so I do not know how I could go wrong. It was installed into trainset and shows in trainset. Might be interesting to find what numbers some one else that has the route has. I have posted my problem in the Ohio Valley Virtual RR group which I am a member. So far have received no messages. If worse comes to worse, I could ho to some other engines in the route and see what numbers they have. Thanks

Bert

QUOTE(steam4me @ Jun 17 2008, 3:48 PM) View Post

Open ConTEXT.

#11 Frascati

Frascati

Motorman

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 09:35 PM

QUOTE(Old Geaser @ Jun 17 2008, 7:17 PM) View Post

Thanks Charles for telling me how to use cont g

I opened each engine file and entered the line numbers. Here is what I found. All are under Lights

Line 202 Unit ( 5 )

Line 186 Unit ( 4 )

Line 187 Unit ( 4 )

Line 169 Unit ( 4 )

I have no idea what this means. I do not know why I get the error reading those numbers. I have installed the engine file 3 times overwriting. It is a exe file so I do not know how I could go wrong. It was installed into trainset and shows in trainset. Might be interesting to find what numbers some one else that has the route has. I have posted my problem in the Ohio Valley Virtual RR group which I am a member. So far have received no messages. If worse comes to worse, I could ho to some other engines in the route and see what numbers they have. Thanks

Bert

These Unit numbers are used by the later MSTSBin releases... Try uninstalling MSTSBin and reinstalling the latest stable release...

#12 steam4me

steam4me

Stationmaster

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 11:15 PM

QUOTE(Old Geaser @ Jun 18 2008, 1:17 PM) View Post

Line 202 Unit ( 5 )
Line 186 Unit ( 4 )
Line 187 Unit ( 4 )
Line 169 Unit ( 4 )

Unit numbers higher than (3) are used by MSTS-Bin. If you have a default installation of MSTS (ie as it came off the CD), the sim will report errors (as it has here).

You might like to consider installing MSTS-Bin - you can find information and downloads here.

#13 cr-stagg

cr-stagg

Superintendent

• Beta Tester
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 04:22 AM

FYI The latest version of ConBuilder includes an option to tell ConBuilder if you are using MSTS bin. If you say no then these ENGs that have been modified for bin will be reported and a suggested fix will be given. If you tell ConBuilder that Bin is installed then these ENGs will not error on those "Unit ( # )" lines.

#14 Old Geaser

Old Geaser

Stationmaster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 06:47 AM

Maybe I am just to dam old to keep up with this fun game.

When I installed the route, it said to use the latest msts patch and refereed to the site. I downloaded the patch and when I tried to install it ,it said I already had the latest patch. I thought it would overwrite the patch as it has before. I now find it said to delete the old patch 1.7.05419 and install the latest. 1.8.052113en.

I just deleted the old patch in Train simulator, rebooted the computer and tried to install the new 1.8xxx. the pop up says, "You already have the latest patch". Where did I go wrong? What can I do now to remove something I already have deleted? I think you guys are right. This patch is my entire problem. Thanks

Bert

QUOTE(steam4me @ Jun 17 2008, 10:56 PM) View Post

Unit numbers higher than (3) are used by MSTS-Bin. If you have a default installation of MSTS (ie as it came off the CD), the sim will report errors (as it has here).

You might like to consider installing MSTS-Bin - you can find information and downloads here.

#15 bnsf1959

bnsf1959

Engineer

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 08:55 AM

QUOTE(Old Geaser @ Jun 18 2008, 8:28 AM) View Post

Maybe I am just to dam old to keep up with this fun game.

When I installed the route, it said to use the latest msts patch and refereed to the site. I downloaded the patch and when I tried to install it ,it said I already had the latest patch. I thought it would overwrite the patch as it has before. I now find it said to delete the old patch 1.7.05419 and install the latest. 1.8.052113en.

I just deleted the old patch in Train simulator, rebooted the computer and tried to install the new 1.8xxx. the pop up says, "You already have the latest patch". Where did I go wrong? What can I do now to remove something I already have deleted? I think you guys are right. This patch is my entire problem. Thanks

Bert

You're not suppose to delete the patch, you have to uninstall it first. Then delete the remaining folders according to the instructions.

#16 Old Geaser

Old Geaser

Stationmaster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 09:36 AM

You are correct. But no one said I was verry smart. (age 83 +) After deleting it I found there was a place to uninstall it in add\remove. To late, now the uninstaller says it cant find it. There must still be a copy some where because when I try to install the new one, it still says I have the latest version.

I am about to remove msts and start over, From all the junk files, txt , apk, jpg etc in train simulator, it looks like it needs to be cleaned up anyway. Thanks

Bert

QUOTE(bnsf1959 @ Jun 18 2008, 8:36 AM) View Post

You're not suppose to delete the patch, you have to uninstall it first. Then delete the remaining folders according to the instructions.

#17 Old Geaser

Old Geaser

Stationmaster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 10:16 AM

[size=6]Suprise---Suprise---Suprise

[size=1]Thanks to all of you, the old man has the new patch installed and working. I can now run the activities. I sure do appreaciate all of the help and advise I received. Thanks again.

Bert biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

[quote name='Old Geaser' date='Jun 18 2008, 9:17 AM' post='123710']
You are correct. But no one said I was verry smart. (age 83 +) After deleting it I found there was a place to uninstall it in add\remove. To late, now the uninstaller says it cant find it. There must still be a copy some where because when I try to install the new one, it still says I have the latest version.