Photo

Will they ever learn

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 moose49

moose49

Yardmaster

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 08:12 PM

blink.gif
This just in developer tools for RS Euro version won't work with new US version. RS will have tools for US version but you get to download them Plus they promise a one size fits all super patch to merge them later on. This just gets sillier the farther RS goes the worse they get IMHO. Gotta be hard to gain customers with this giant pay to play beta test of there's. wacko.gif

#2 rgarber

rgarber

Dispatcher

• All Aboard!
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 09:12 PM

Jeff,

Have you an idea what all this means? I've read the thread at train-sim but I can't figure what the bad news of this is all about? So since I have the Euro version and I can't download the US dev version, am I missing something because of that? I saw where Jim-boy was fraggin' the editor because all the units are metric (can't say I blame him). So does this mean in order for him to get Imperial units he'd ... uh, I mean would WE have to buy the USA version and lose the Euro version? This can't possibly mean the two versions are incompatible I would think or why offer the USA version as a download? Anyway, I find the announcement confusing because it doesn't give the implications of what the downsize is not having the USA developer tools. And are these USA developer tools to be downloadable right away or are they a month down the road?

Questions... questions... tongue.gif

Rich

#3 Guest_djt_*

Guest_djt_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2008 - 09:20 PM

RS will have tools for US version but you get to download them Plus they promise a one size fits all super patch to merge them later on.

So how is this different from any other game released in the last five years?

#4 moose49

moose49

Yardmaster

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 09:34 PM

laugh.gif
Rich if I read it right RS Euro version and RS NA version are not compatible with each other and need seperate developement tools. It would seem then that the US route would not merge into our Euro version games that we already have so we'll have to buy the NA version also and seperate it from the Euro version plus download asecond set of developer tools until the one size fits all super merger patch comes out. Or that tree the were talking about grows back into a monolith. unsure.gif

#5 rgarber

rgarber

Dispatcher

• All Aboard!
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 10:10 PM

Well, I reckon the simplest thing to do is to purchase the USA version then and junk the Euro version. I remember hearing something early on that it was not recommended we NA'rs try and grab a copy of the Euro version. Hey D. Cowen, check your mail! biggrin.gif

Rich G

#6 sniper297

sniper297

Brakeman

• Valued Customer
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 10:25 PM

"I saw where Jim-boy was fraggin' the editor because all the units are metric", same problem with MSTS, that also uses furriner heathen rulers. I'm too entrenched with the old, find it impossible to visualize the new without converting it to the old. Not sure I'm converting correctly half the time, I'm getting about five feet three inches instead of four feet eight and a half for the rail spacing, dunno if KUJU screwed up or my multiply by 3.3 formula is off kilter.

Anyway, I suspect what we got here is The Patch is patched for the new US version, so the EXE files will be different. Similar to MSTS again, if you have MSTS 1.0 or MSTS 1.2 you need the patch version of the train.exe file for BIN to work.

As for merging, the fifth route and any assets can be packaged with Mike Simpson's gadget from one version, then installed into the other version, I can't think offhand of anything in a route, trainset, scenery object, track rule set, loft rules, or anything else that would have a problem with a different executable. Stop and think about it, the Hagen Siegen route is included with both versions, presumably they have the trainsets from that route with both versions, any incompatibility would have to be with the scenarios. I always said the scenario editor wasn't finished yet, so that's probably what this is, open a US Cajon Pass scenario with the older scenario editor and it will have a hissy fit.

Honest to god nothing to get excited about, if you have the euro version and buy the US version, copy the york newcastle route into the US version, uninstall the euro dev tools and download the new ones, or just wait for the megamerger patch. Personally I'm gonna wait for the downloadable full direct 2 drive US version before buying just so I don't have to screw around with white cotton gloves to preserve, protect and defend the Holy Sacred Key Disk. mad.gif

#7 Genma Saotome

Genma Saotome

Dispatcher

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 10:49 PM

This tools issue is no different than the thoroughness of the beta testing before the product was released. It's not a Kuju / RSDL specific problem. It is an example you can see in most any software project that is way under funded, under staffed for the tasks on hand, and inexperienced. It looks a bit like a Keystones Kops short.

Unfortunately for us there doesn't seem to be much reason to think the funding / staffing problem is going to be fixed. FWIW, I'm sure it's a PITA for them too.

#8 Capt_Scarlet

Capt_Scarlet

Track Layer

• Valued Customer
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 01:55 AM

Well my understanding of the reason for it is that at the moment the US version has a more up to date code base because they didn't stop development after the Euro release. So the first patch will bring the two code bases to the same level and beyond.

This is not unlike the situation that will apply to Vista as the kernel ( core ) of Vista is a early version of the Server 2008 kernel and Vista SP1 will update the Vista kernel to be the same as RTM version of Server 2008.

Usually its the Euro users of software that run into this problem as US versions are released first and the Euro versions are more up to date upon release.

John

#9 moose49

moose49

Yardmaster

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 12:34 PM

biggrin.gif
Hi guy and girls a friend took the time to explain software to me. All I can say is wow what and alien concept to me rush it out the door and fix it later. Having owned my own heavy hauling and rigging company for many years now retired we just didn't do it like that. Anyway hope I haven't offended anyone and have a greatday.

#10 RSderek

RSderek

New Hire

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 02:23 PM

Thanks for the comments and advice guys.

The European and NA versions of tools are out of synch, this is why they are not compatible at this time.
For each version of the game, code had to be frozen to allow the builds to be submitted and accepted, however all the while bugs/enhancements were being made off line that have since been introduced back into the live branch.

The plan is to bring everything together with the RS_Upgrade Mk1 and a new set of tools compatible with both versions which will be released soon.

Only the tools are currently not compatible, assets/routes and rolling stock are.

regards

Derek

#11 OwainGlyndwr

OwainGlyndwr

Conductor

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 02:33 PM

QUOTE(RSderek @ Jan 14 2008, 9:04 PM) View Post

Thanks for the comments and advice guys.

The European and NA versions of tools are out of synch, this is why they are not compatible at this time.
For each version of the game, code had to be frozen to allow the builds to be submitted and accepted, however all the while bugs/enhancements were being made off line that have since been introduced back into the live branch.

The plan is to bring everything together with the RS_Upgrade Mk1 and a new set of tools compatible with both versions which will be released soon.

Only the tools are currently not compatible, assets/routes and rolling stock are.

regards

Derek

Hi Derek,

is the above mentioned RS_Upgrade Mk1, the first patch. Or is this a further upgrade, coming along later on.

cheers,
Mike.

#12 RSderek

RSderek

New Hire

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 02:42 PM

The RS Upgrade Mk1 (sorry for it's name but I liked it) is the one I am talking about. It will be applied to both versions of RS.

regards

Derek