Photo

Some A&M Pics...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#21 zhilton

zhilton

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 09:09 PM

QUOTE(S. Weaver @ Jan 4 2008, 8:24 PM) View Post

Great shots ... and I'm jealous. Haven't run extra since December 30. Here's how I've been occupying my time - replacing centerplates:

Can't say I know how you fell, but I've been tasked with "other than train operations" task lately myself. The last couple of weeks I've been working with the mechanics while they do 92-day inspections. sad.gif I can't say I've missed my calling in life, working on locomotives is dirty work and is worth avoiding when given the chance. biggrin.gif

#22 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 08:42 AM

bktrains said:

"Your mean Andre! Just kidding! Hey I know 2 A&M engineers that run around Fort Smith, Van Buren. I know you and I know Greg, I met Greg one day riding the passenger train."

Speaking of the passenger train: Looks like I'll be on that job every Saturday for a while. Must say that it is great to be able to leave the yard limits and let it roll. I've missed running the road. I swear everytime I make that run up through there it just keeps getting prettier and prettier. No way pictures could ever do it justice, but I will try to take some soon. Also note that it's a far cry from sitting on the conductor's side and enjoying the view (as most of my experience with that section was some 20 years ago) and having to keep up with where you're at and maintain track speed as it is when on the hot seat. Having to run long hood forward half the trip doesn't help. dry.gif

Zack said:

(snip: greasy, nasty engine work)

Fun, ain't it? Been there, done that... don't want no more of it. biggrin.gif Isn't changing the brushes on a traction motor fun? Or how about using a high pressure washer to clean the engine bay? Such joy. dry.gif

#23 zhilton

zhilton

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 10:00 AM

QUOTE(laming @ Jan 27 2008, 9:23 AM) View Post

Zack said:

(snip: greasy, nasty engine work)

Fun, ain't it? Been there, done that... don't want no more of it. biggrin.gif Isn't changing the brushes on a traction motor fun? Or how about using a high pressure washer to clean the engine bay? Such joy. dry.gif

Like I said...it's worth avoiding when given the chance. I think I'd rather work on track rather than a locomotive....but that isn't by much of a margin. dry.gif I can say this much, in the last 9 months I've had some experience in just about every part of railroading...(T&E, MoW, carmen, etc) except the dispatcher's role and the trainmaster. Neither of which strikes me fun and exciting when compared to train service or "maintenance in the way" tasks. Though if your the Train monster there are some advantages....just haven't figured out what they are. biggrin.gif

#24 bktrains

bktrains

Stationmaster

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 07:50 PM

QUOTE(laming @ Jan 27 2008, 9:23 AM) View Post

bktrains said:

"Your mean Andre! Just kidding! Hey I know 2 A&M engineers that run around Fort Smith, Van Buren. I know you and I know Greg, I met Greg one day riding the passenger train."

Speaking of the passenger train: Looks like I'll be on that job every Saturday for a while. Must say that it is great to be able to leave the yard limits and let it roll. I've missed running the road. I swear everytime I make that run up through there it just keeps getting prettier and prettier. No way pictures could ever do it justice, but I will try to take some soon. Also note that it's a far cry from sitting on the conductor's side and enjoying the view (as most of my experience with that section was some 20 years ago) and having to keep up with where you're at and maintain track speed as it is when on the hot seat. Having to run long hood forward half the trip doesn't help. dry.gif

Oh yeah I know what you mean! Since I'm a passenger conductor for the pass train from April - December it gets better every trip, and meeting the new people is good too.

#25 alcomech

alcomech

Mechanic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 08:25 PM

QUOTE(zhilton @ Jan 27 2008, 10:41 AM) View Post

Like I said...it's worth avoiding when given the chance. I think I'd rather work on track rather than a locomotive....but that isn't by much of a margin. dry.gif I can say this much, in the last 9 months I've had some experience in just about every part of railroading...(T&E, MoW, carmen, etc) except the dispatcher's role and the trainmaster. Neither of which strikes me fun and exciting when compared to train service or "maintenance in the way" tasks. Though if your the Train monster there are some advantages....just haven't figured out what they are. biggrin.gif

Geesh, all I do is sit in seat and copy track warrants while cruising at cool 50-60 mph. tongue.gif

#26 bktrains

bktrains

Stationmaster

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 08:42 PM

QUOTE(alcomech @ Jan 27 2008, 9:06 PM) View Post

Geesh, all I do is sit in seat and copy track warrants while cruising at cool 50-60 mph. tongue.gif

Lemme guess...UP line? tongue.gif

#27 alcomech

alcomech

Mechanic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 09:17 PM

QUOTE(bktrains @ Jan 27 2008, 9:23 PM) View Post

Lemme guess...UP line? tongue.gif

You betcha!

#28 bktrains

bktrains

Stationmaster

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 09:42 PM

QUOTE(alcomech @ Jan 27 2008, 9:58 PM) View Post

You betcha!

Hahaha. Will have to get down there sometime.

#29 zhilton

zhilton

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 09:36 PM

QUOTE(bktrains @ Jan 27 2008, 10:23 PM) View Post

Hahaha. Will have to get down there sometime.

I wouldn't call what he does "work", I thought I had it easy some days. Don't let him try to convince you any other way.