Photo
- - - - -

Some Model RR Shots

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 sstyrnol

sstyrnol

Santa Fe Nut

• Beta Tester
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 11:35 PM

Howdy,

some shots of my dad's and my model railroad...

(1) Red switching/road switching diesel. 500 hp, being powered by a marine diesel with diesel-hydraulic transmission, this loco had a top speed of 60 kph and was mostly used for wayfreights, local passenger services on branchlines and light switching duties. Normally these locos wore a dark green or black livery. The red ones were rare, being used for switching passenger cars at bigger stations.

The marine diesel was of the same type being used for the German U-Boats... (the real things not what runs on the rails! tongue.gif) The power was transmitted on the blind shaft (second axle on the rear with the counter weights) and then via the connection rods on the three wheeled axles. This was a common type of power transmission on diesel locos well into the 60s before better gearboxes came up for heavy duty diesels.

Attached Files

#2 sstyrnol

sstyrnol

Santa Fe Nut

• Beta Tester
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 11:37 PM

(2) Rural passenger station after southern German prototype. I built this station in an "island layout" with the station building being located between the main track and the switchback behind it.

Attached Files

#3 sstyrnol

sstyrnol

Santa Fe Nut

• Beta Tester
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 11:40 PM

(3) The morning local comes in, being pulled by a freight trolley engine of the Lokalbahn M√ľnchen AG (shortline near Munich). The single wooden carriage is a beautifully restored carriage once been common on short lines throughout Germany.

Attached Files

#4 sstyrnol

sstyrnol

Santa Fe Nut

• Beta Tester
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 11:41 PM

(4) A reminder for all those who like to drive, this billboard warns against driving after having a drink. Roughly translated it means: Don't drink and drive, bus and train are not expensive. (Just that it is a rhyme in German...).

Attached Files

#5 sstyrnol

sstyrnol

Santa Fe Nut

• Beta Tester
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 11:44 PM

(5) Detailed look at the front of the trolley engine. Note the coupler. Here in Germany, we do not use Kadee couplers like in US models. Normally a "clamp coupler" with a clamp and a hook is being used. This one is the close coupler variant allowing for very close coupling of the cars in order to allow buffer-to-buffer running (at least on straights).

Attached Files

#6 sstyrnol

sstyrnol

Santa Fe Nut

• Beta Tester
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 11:46 PM

(6) Last one for now: Overview over the station. The catenary in the background belongs to the switchback track behind the station. Unfortunately the pantos are always pressing up the wired a bit despite all efforts to span it as tightly as possible.

Also note those little points between the tracks on top of the sleepers? Those are there for the electric conductors. This specific track system runs on AC with the (+)-pole between the tracks and the return conductor are the tracks. This way the power is transmitted symetrically and you can lay every tracklayout (balloon loops, wyes) without any special wiring. If painted a bit, you hardly notice those dots. The power is picked up with a sled-type pantograph under the locos.

Hope you all enjoyed those shots. smile.gif

Attached Files

#7 gerr

gerr

Dispatcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 03:49 AM

Looks great Sebastian! cool.gif thumbsup.gif

#8 SeanK97

SeanK97

Operations Manager

• 3DTrains Moderator
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 06:32 PM

Outstanding layout there bub! Only one thing to really improve the looks a bit,...

SCALERAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heh heh heh tongue.gif

#9 jbt1024

jbt1024

Superintendent

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 09:04 PM

Is that Thrasher Siding I see tongue.gif Na, good job man, that looks great man. I wish I had the room and money to do that.

Thanks,
Jonathan

#10 sstyrnol

sstyrnol

Santa Fe Nut

• Beta Tester
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 11:30 PM

QUOTE(jbt1024 @ Mar 7 2006, 06:04 AM)
Is that Thrasher Siding I see tongue.gif

LOL, no... This is the one my dad and I are doing in H0 scale. It is German-themed. I am building a small other one, which is US-themed (SP to be precise). It is going to be Pacific-Northwest styled in an urban surrounding (some industrial branchline). smile.gif