Photo

F Units

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 riff

riff

New Hire

• Valued Customer
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 November 2002 - 09:16 PM

Hi Marc

Have just got one of the F Pro Series loco's, TS crashes, so havn't seen them yet. Have read a post that some Voodoo cards my not run 1024, but might at 512. How do I get it to 512.
My card is Voodoo2 3000. Any suggestings would be great.

Thanks

Mike

#2 flying_tiger

flying_tiger

New Hire

• Valued Customer
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 November 2002 - 09:16 AM

Hi Mike,

To change your display from 1024 go to control panel, then select display, then select the settings tab. Towards the bottom, on the right side you will see a slider in the space for screen area. Your's most likely says "1024 x 768". Move the slider to the left until it says "640 x 480", then select "Ok". You might even try "800 x 600".

Your Voodoo video card should run TS in "1024 x 768", but not real well since it has only 16Mb of ram. The Voodoo was a good adapter in its day. I had one, it was great. However, it is obsolete.

The best thing to do, if you are in a position to do so, is to replace the video card. Look for one with at least 32Mb, perferably 64Mb. There are a number of them on the market that are very affordable. I am using an ATI Radeon 7000 with 64Mb of RAM. It cost me $69.99, less a $10 rebate. I am well pleased with its performamce.

Hope this helps you.
Tim

#3 Bananarama

Bananarama

The Big Kahuna

• 3DTrains Admin
  • 8,104 posts

Posted 23 November 2002 - 01:48 PM

Let me know which set you got, and I'll make the needed update available in the F-Units forum. This will allow you to run the set before making any adustments to your system. If and when you decide to upgrade the vid-card, then you can reinstall the Pro set to get the larger textures. smile.gif

Cheers!
Marc

#4 riff

riff

New Hire

• Valued Customer
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 November 2002 - 02:11 PM

Hi Marc

I tried it anyway and it didn't work. I manged to get the freeware F-unit to work by changing the texture to 512 but no luck with with this one. I got the F-Unit v3.0 "Super Pack. Update file would be great.

Thanks for you time

Mike

#5 Bananarama

Bananarama

The Big Kahuna

• 3DTrains Admin
  • 8,104 posts

Posted 24 November 2002 - 02:22 PM

Which set?

Cheers!
Marc

#6 riff

riff

New Hire

• Valued Customer
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 November 2002 - 02:17 AM

Sorry about that,

Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe F7 "Super Pack" -

Mike

#7 Bananarama

Bananarama

The Big Kahuna

• 3DTrains Admin
  • 8,104 posts

Posted 25 November 2002 - 02:40 AM

I found a thread on train-sim.com where the user was experiencing a similar problem. What he did to fix this was to start the Launcher.exe inside the MSTS folder, and go to the troubleshooting section. By selecting/deselecting the following items, you should be able to run 1024 textures on a Voodoo card, much better than having to reduce the image to 512 x 512:

IPB Image

Let me know if the above works out. smile.gif

Cheers!
Marc

#8 riff

riff

New Hire

• Valued Customer
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 November 2002 - 02:03 PM

Hi Marc

No luck there, was allready deselecting. One others possibility I thought of is I installed in the wrong order so I will try that next.

Thanks, Mike

#9 Bananarama

Bananarama

The Big Kahuna

• 3DTrains Admin
  • 8,104 posts

Posted 25 November 2002 - 03:05 PM

Let me know what you find.

Cheers!
Marc

#10 riff

riff

New Hire

• Valued Customer
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 November 2002 - 04:57 PM

Another no go! 512 is the only answer I think and of course a new vid card.

Thanks, Mike

#11 Bananarama

Bananarama

The Big Kahuna

• 3DTrains Admin
  • 8,104 posts

Posted 25 November 2002 - 07:51 PM

Low-res textures for the ATSF set now available in the "sticky" thread in the F-Units forum. smile.gif

Cheers!
Marc

#12 riff

riff

New Hire

• Valued Customer
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 November 2002 - 03:42 PM

Thanks Marc, everything is working great, and they are wonderful, my first time at buying a MSTS adon and now won't be the last, but time for new vid card to get better graphic's

Thanks again for your help

Mike

#13 al1218

al1218

Fireman

• Valued Customer
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 22 January 2003 - 02:25 AM

I finally downloaded my ATSF F7 pack and they're incredible!! The only problem is that I can run them in Explore Route by themselves but when assigned to a consist and/or activity TS locks up after 30 seconds after starting the activity (i.e. passenger train on Raton Pass II). Any suggestions??? sad.gif

#14 Bananarama

Bananarama

The Big Kahuna

• 3DTrains Admin
  • 8,104 posts

Posted 22 January 2003 - 04:01 AM

QUOTE(al1218 @ Jan 22 2003, 01:25 AM)
I finally downloaded my ATSF F7 pack and they're incredible!! The only problem is that I can run them in Explore Route by themselves but when assigned to a consist and/or activity TS locks up after 30 seconds after starting the activity (i.e. passenger train on Raton Pass II). Any suggestions??? sad.gif

Is this happening with the default F7 textures or the 512 x 512 ones? If the former, then try the texture update - if the latter, then I'm unsure where the problem would be, as there hasn't been an issue since the release.

Cheers!
Marc

#15 al1218

al1218

Fireman

• Valued Customer
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 22 January 2003 - 11:06 AM

Marc,
These are the default F7's. I'm currently running my video at 1280 x 960 so the resolution shouldn't be a problem. As I said before, they'll run if I'm in Explore Route, even with a built-up consist. But when I try to open an activity containing the same consist....down goes MSTS with the evil "report box". sad.gif
Allen

#16 Bananarama

Bananarama

The Big Kahuna

• 3DTrains Admin
  • 8,104 posts

Posted 22 January 2003 - 06:33 PM

Try assigning the texture update and see if the lockups go away - I don't understand why this would happen in the AE and not the sim itself. blink.gif

Cheers!
Marc