Photo

Perks (Proto Pic)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
27 replies to this topic

#21 atsf37l

atsf37l

Railroad President

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 02:07 PM

Andre:

Froogle site

#22 zhilton

zhilton

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 05:46 AM

milepost56 asked:
Nice side bell mount on the GP38, whats the heritage if you know?

It took me the better part of a day to find the answer, but this is the answer I found. Orginally built as C&O 3851(would explan the bell on the side of the hood); renumbered to CSXT 2051; sold to WE as their 103; then sold to HATX and became their 103; leased to TFM (Mexican arm of KCS) as thier 1153; returned to the states as HLCX 1153; then to K&O 1153. Under the general renumber that Watco is going through this GP38 is suppposed to become WAMX 3803. I say this Geep has been around once or twice. Through during my digging...the WE 103 part and the HATX 103 may have been just on paper and no renumbering ever really took place. Don't feel bad if you got lost in the whole mess. It took me three times through to follow the paper trail. laugh.gif

As far as GP30 with 645 blocks...that is possible. But it is more likely 645 power assemblies (cylinder liners and pistons) were install in the 567 block. The 567B and 567C model blocks would accept 645 power assembiles and it has been done to many GP18, GP20, GP30 and GP35 that are out there running around. That is what CSX did when they rebuilt GP7/GP9 geeps into the GP16. The main difference between a 567 and a 645 is the bore of the piston. The 567 is 8.5"(bore) by 10" (stroke); the 645 is 9.0625" (9-1/16" bore) by 10" (stroke). I may just have to force my self to drive down to Heavener and expose some Kodachrome to those two jewels this weekend. wink.gif Looks like I'll have to drag my son along too. Andre knows how much he hates trains. laugh.gif

#23 S. Weaver

S. Weaver

Dispatcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 08:03 AM

Wow, Zack! That is some serious research. And on a diesel, of all things!

For penance, you must run St.L.&N.A. "Hound Dog" I and II, without taking a break. innocent.gif

#24 milepost56

milepost56

Commissioner

• 3DTrains Moderator
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 03:07 PM

Thanks for the history lesson Zack. I knew that the GP38 had to be of C&O heritage, very few other railroads would stick a bell on the side.

It would be sweet to see some picks of both units, especially the GP30. Its nice to know somebody else with some EMD knowledge. Having spent almost 2 years at the CNW diesel house at Proviso yard just west of Chicago I became all to familiar with power assemblies. I do not miss those days wink.gif

#25 zhilton

zhilton

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 03:40 AM

S.Weaver was reported saying:
Wow, Zack! That is some serious research. And on a diesel, of all things!

You say that as if the 567 & 645 power plants are such horrible beasts. unsure.gif Oh, wait...I keep forgeting I'm talking to a bunch of teakettle fans. laugh.gif At some point I'll remember that minor little detail. wink.gif

milepost56 was rumored saying:
Thanks for the history lesson Zack. I knew that the GP38 had to be of C&O heritage, very few other railroads would stick a bell on the side.
It would be sweet to see some picks of both units, especially the GP30. Its nice to know somebody else with some EMD knowledge.

I have a basic EMD knowledge of their power/products. Most of my diesel knowledge is based on those "yellow motors" that have been used for a 100 years to push dirt. As far as the bell on the side of the long hood. Seems like C&O was the only railroad to order their power that way. The only exception that comes to mind is the order of SD50 that the Rio Grande picked up in the early 1980s (would have to look up the year) and they had the bell on the long hood. Though their order was tacked on the end of a C&O-Chessie order for SD50. Good to see I'm not the only one that fights the "dark side"...the influence of the teakettles. laugh.gif

#26 S. Weaver

S. Weaver

Dispatcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 04:56 PM

QUOTE(zhilton @ Feb 10 2006, 05:40 AM)
You say that as if the 567 & 645 power plants are such horrible beasts. unsure.gif Oh, wait...I keep forgeting I'm talking to a bunch of teakettle fans. laugh.gif At some point I'll remember that minor little detail. wink.gif

Zack:

I have a confession to make: I've rebuilt 567c's and have installed 645 power assemblies - and actually enjoyed it! There! It's out! whistling.gif innocent.gif

I hope Andre and Bill Hobbs don't read this post ...

#27 gtw5812

gtw5812

Dispatcher

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 06:12 PM

I almost want to say that the "Heritage of that GP-38 is of the C&O or B&O orders. I would say that it has served on the Central Michigan...but that is a guess.

Best Regards,
Galen

#28 milepost56

milepost56

Commissioner

• 3DTrains Moderator
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 03:56 PM

QUOTE(zhilton @ Feb 9 2006, 05:46 AM)

As far as GP30 with 645 blocks...that is possible. But it is more likely 645 power assemblies (cylinder liners and pistons) were install in the 567 block. The 567B and 567C model blocks would accept 645 power assembiles and it has been done to many GP18, GP20, GP30 and GP35 that are out there running around. That is what CSX did when they rebuilt GP7/GP9 geeps into the GP16. The main difference between a 567 and a 645 is the bore of the piston. The 567 is 8.5"(bore) by 10" (stroke); the 645 is 9.0625" (9-1/16" bore) by 10" (stroke). I may just have to force my self to drive down to Heavener and expose some Kodachrome to those two jewels this weekend. wink.gif Looks like I'll have to drag my son along too. Andre knows how much he hates trains. laugh.gif

The GP30 had a 567D from the factory, I don't recall what the changes were to the block. Probably journals and a few minor changes the to accomodate turbocharging. I know the liner bores were still the same as the B&C blocks.

Never tore one apart, but then again the fat lady hasn't sung yet has she wink.gif