Photo

Perks (Proto Pic)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
27 replies to this topic

#1 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 10:37 PM

Okay, I admit it: I love living in this region. I like the mountains, the pine trees, etc.

I also love my job(s). There are definitely perks in what I do. For example, being out on the road making calls has a cool perk in some of the scenery I get to see.

There's also perks to being in railroading.

Take a gorgeous, brilliant day... take some neat scenery... and throw in an interesting set of power and presto: A perk in picture form.

That in mind, I share this shot with you that I took this week.

Oh, and yes, texture shots were taken as well: Another perk. smile.gif

Attached Files

#2 zhilton

zhilton

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 03:20 AM

I'm willing to walk out on a limb and say that is the power for the Arkansas Southern that runs out of the great town of Heavener, OK. Did I win a prize? unsure.gif

#3 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 08:12 AM

Congratulations young Grasshopper! No, you didn't win a prize. However, it's cool to be correct, eh?

#4 TomW

TomW

Dispatcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 01:22 PM

I think the black unit is a GP35, but I know the rear unit is a old GP30.
That thing ougtha be in a museum; they haven't made them for 40 years!!!

Do I win a non-prize??? laugh.gif laugh.gif

#5 Frisco2

Frisco2

Track Layer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 01:41 PM

Andre.

Hey are you going to use those locomotives in your next project?.

And were you successful in obtaining a parts list for that ARR control stand in the train-sim yet?. I went to the CH Products web site and looked around I couldn't figure out what he used, I know with my carpentry skills I could build one of those stands pretty easy.

I've been thinking about building a full size cab for my backyard or garage just for giggles, Dont know what the wife would say. tongue.gif

Dave

#6 zhilton

zhilton

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 02:04 PM

As reported by Andre
Congratulations young Grasshopper! No, you didn't win a prize. However, it's cool to be correct, eh?

Rats, and I was hoping for one of those really great prizes that come out of a Cracker Jack box. biggrin.gif

As reported by TomW
I think the black unit is a GP35, but I know the rear unit is a old GP30.
That thing ougtha be in a museum; they haven't made them for 40 years!!!

That black unit is a GP38...two radiator fans on the rear. Yeah isn't it cool to see that GP30 still working after 40 years. I'm not sure about shutting her down and putting her in a musuem...yet. Maybe a classy paint job would be a better idea. But there is many a bean counters out there that will tell you "Paint doesn't pull".

This line that they are on is a former KCS line...and in the late 1980s to early 1990s KCS's fleet of GP30 were known to work this line as they finished their careers with the KCS. Good to see them return...though the one in this photo isn't one of them as far as I know.

#7 brinch

brinch

Porter

• Valued Customer
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 02:55 PM

QUOTE(Frisco2 @ Feb 3 2006, 12:41 PM)
And were you successful in obtaining a parts list for that ARR control stand in the train-sim yet?. I went to the CH Products web site and looked around I couldn't figure out what he used, I know with my carpentry skills I could build one of those stands pretty easy.

I've been thinking about building a full size cab for my backyard or garage just for giggles, Dont know what the wife would say. tongue.gif

Dave

I believe he used a CH USB yoke (The one with 3 throttles), I had mine programmed for MSTS once, It worked more precise and faster as the raildriver from PI, but of course without the feed back. It means your control will sometimes come out of "synch" and you will have to either adjust with key board or in some cases it could be achieved by resetting the handle. (it works best for slow but "firm" adjustments)Most of the time it worked great, I just found it easier to use the key board. The reason he used a CH product is probably because the software to program the axis's is included (and works very well). If you have a program which will translate axis input to key presses, then you can use any joystick with a relative high resoulution. Last time I checked, you had to buy the generic soft ware, but it's a long time ago so much can have changed.
You should download a manual from CHproducts to see if you can make it work as you intend.

Cheers
Peter

#8 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 05:46 PM

TomW:

Like Zickery Zackery Zock said: It's a 38. However, don't take the mistake too hard, you how all those diesels look alike. biggrin.gif

Frisco2

> Hey are you going to use those locomotives in your next project?

No plans to use at this point. However, I've learned to try to take advantage of texture opportunities when presented. You never know when you'll need the stuff. I try to make it a habit to have my camera with me at all times.

Case in point: In my "Vehicles" texture folder, for example, I already have raw textures for 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's autos as well as some trucks. If I see it, have the time, and have my camera: I nail it.

> And were you successful in obtaining a parts list for that ARR control
> stand in the train-sim yet?.

No, I'm not really sure just what throttles he used.

The fellow was quite creative in his effort. He did a lot more work than I'm willing to expend at this point.

#9 milepost56

milepost56

Commissioner

• 3DTrains Moderator
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 06:32 PM

Nice side bell mount on the GP38, whats the heritage if you know? Also, is there still a 567 under the hood on the GP30? One more if its OK while we are on GP38's, before the Rock pulled the plug, did any GP38's traverse the your area?

#10 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 07:24 PM

> Nice side bell mount on the GP38, whats the heritage if you know?

Haven't a clue.

> Also, is there still a 567 under the hood on the GP30?

Sounds like it. Next time I'm on board I'll try to verify.

> One more if its OK while we are on GP38's,

Sure...

> ...before the Rock pulled the plug, did any GP38's traverse the your area?

Note: My area would be the east/west "Choctaw Route" which ran from Memphis, TN to Tucumcari, NM. I most often saw the portion between McAlester, OK and Booneville, AR. The Rock Island's Hot Springs Branch mentioned elsewhere in this forum would not actually be my "area", but accessible via a 1 1/2 hour drive.

Having said that:

GP38's on the Choctaw Route? Absolutely. The last few months of the Rock's operation, I moved into a house in which I could see the Choctaw Route's mainline from the kitchen window. I recall seeing U25B's, U30B's, GP40's, GP38's, GP35's, GP7's, GP18's, GP?m's. I never saw six axle power on the line, either during those months, or the years prior.

#11 milepost56

milepost56

Commissioner

• 3DTrains Moderator
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 11:00 AM

Wouldn't you give a weeks pay to step back for just one day, and sneek in your digital camera ofcourse wink.gif

Thanks for the reply Andre smile.gif

#12 joebandit

joebandit

joebandit

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 11:31 AM

There are at leat 3 GP30's on any given day switching around Phoenix,who says they are old..

#13 milepost56

milepost56

Commissioner

• 3DTrains Moderator
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 12:46 PM

QUOTE(joebandit @ Feb 4 2006, 11:31 AM)
There are at leat 3 GP30's on any given day switching around Phoenix,who says they are old..

I see them here to Joe, some in ATSF and some in BN, for the most part they have been updated with a 645 block and updated electrical. It is unbelievable to think that they are still using power from 1964, but then again look at the occasional Geep or SD9 that floats thru. wink.gif

#14 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 01:16 PM

Yup, oft have been the times I wished for a "time machine" so I could get do-overs on some things.

Speaking of 567's: Hard to believe, but one of the old geeps I bang around for Pioneer has a 567 in it! That engine is older than I am!

#15 huddy

huddy

Conductor

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 06:41 PM

QUOTE(laming @ Feb 4 2006, 03:16 PM)
Speaking of 567's: Hard to believe, but one of the old geeps I bang around for Pioneer has a 567 in it! That engine is older than I am!

An oldie but a goodie!

#16 jimmac28

jimmac28

Motorman

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 08:33 AM

QUOTE(laming @ Feb 3 2006, 10:24 PM)
. I recall seeing U25B's, U30B's, GP40's, GP38's, GP35's, GP7's, GP18's, GP?m's.  I never saw six axle power on the line, either during those months, or the years prior.

Andre I think you meant U28B's, the Rock did own U30C's but never bought any U30B's biggrin.gif wink.gif

#17 atsf37l

atsf37l

Railroad President

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 09:00 AM

QUOTE(milepost56 @ Feb 3 2006, 06:32 PM)
Nice side bell mount on the GP38, whats the heritage if you know? Also, is there still a 567 under the hood on the GP30? One more if its OK while we are on GP38's, before the Rock pulled the plug, did any GP38's traverse the your area?

According to a dude who's selling photos of the unit it is former WLE. Doubtful they were the original owners though. cool.gif

#18 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 09:44 AM

jimmac28 said:

"Andre I think you meant U28B's, the Rock did own U30C's but never bought any U30B's"

Yeah, what he said! blush.gif OR... maybe I was remembering U33B's? rolleyes.gif Would have to dig out the slides, which ain't gonna' happen real soon. blink.gif

Herb said:

"According to a dude who's selling photos of the unit it is former WLE."

Someone is selling photos of this engine??? blink.gif Where might that be?

#19 jimmac28

jimmac28

Motorman

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 10:23 AM

Don’t worry Andre your memory isn’t the first thing to go; Now if I can only remember what is. tongue.gif sad.gif

The Rock also had U33B's but here's the kick, they had 83 mph trucks when new, now how's that for wishful thinking.

#20 excellweb

excellweb

Ticket Inspector

• Valued Customer
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 11:31 AM

I might be wrong, but I swear that I think I see a N&W logo peeking through underneath the paint on the cab of 1153... but the low-nose and the side-mounted bell?