Photo

Marker Madness

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
No replies to this topic

#1 Genma Saotome

Genma Saotome

Dispatcher

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 05:44 PM

Marker problem here. Hoping someone here can shed some light on the mystery I'll describe.

I like markers. I've got, oh, at least 15,000 of them in the Cal-P and the vast majority have been located at the Urban level of resolution in USAPhotomaps, which is 0.25m/pixel resolution. Sharp enough to see individual players in a high school football game at Crockett High. biggrin.gif

But somewhere between the markers in the USAPhotoMap image and markers in MSTS, something seems to have gone awry and I cannot quite figure out what it is. I use DEMEX to read the USAPhotoMaps data and create MSTS marker files.

Here I've circled the markers placed at the center of several street intersections as seen in USAPhotoMaps.

IPB Image

And this image shows a screenshot of the MSTS Route Editor (RE) that I've positioned above the other software.

IPB Image

You can see by the circles that I've rotated and sized RE so that streets going right and left are aligned in both images. Note that all of the streets that run up and down are not at all aligned to the streets in the photo image. That's the problem.

First thought is, of course, that when laying the streets I failed to pay attention to the markers -- right/left, up/down, or both. But that's not the case as all of the street intersections in the route ARE at the sreet intersection markers. In fact I used the Object Rotator to calculate the precise QDirection between markers that were a mile apart.

So then on second thought it seems the markers themselves in the route did not get to the right locations. But the really strange thing is when I zoom in on the marker using RE, the latitude and longitude data shown by the camera does match the USAPhotoMap data. IOW, the RE camera is telling me the markers HAVE been correctly located.

But obviously the streets are not. Meaning everything but the end result looks as if the streets are going to be perfectly aligned to the image.

So what's going on?