Photo

Interesting StLNA Find...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
90 replies to this topic

#81 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 08:10 PM

And lastly (for now) a pic of #21 with an all-important (to Boundy) vandy tender...

Attached Files

• Attached File  MA21.jpg   62.34KB   0 downloads

#82 boundy

boundy

Stationmaster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 09:15 PM

Andre;
Reran the hill with the SD&AE 2-8-0, 20 mixed loads and emptys and went up the hill at about 14mph till the 2 bridges and then went down to 7mph but made it up. I will try a coal fired 2-8-0 out of the Ohio Rails fleet. biggrin.gif

#83 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 09:24 PM

Hi again Boundy (Dave)!

Don't expect to do that well with any of the equipment that would be supplied with the M&A! laugh.gif We will tinker with their abilities until they match the known data of their prototypes as closely as possible! smile.gif

Of course, that is IF the decision is made to build the M&A. wink.gif

#84 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 09:38 PM

Speaking of M&A consols... check this out:

Attached Files

#85 boundy

boundy

Stationmaster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 10:18 PM

Andre;
The Great Poobah knows all. The OR&W 2-8-0 stalled out at the 2 bridges with the same consits as the one the SD&AE 2-8-0 had. That is one classy looking ten wheeler. mad.gif unsure.gif sad.gif

#86 chripsch

chripsch

Engineer

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 12:48 AM

Hello Andre!

The #61 a secret development of DLW or to get at T-S?
Looks great the engine!

Sounds that the M & A becomes more and more porbable when I read the last posts. laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
Sounds interesting.
BTW: Someone build the A&O 70tons available at T-S? What about the Caboose
No 300 in the just A&O livery??? rolleyes.gif

David: Take Andre`s words serious.... The Big Poobah already announced very hard steam rides at the NO... Getting down just alive if all retainers set wink.gif
Wo`nt imagine a huge WWII goods down Seligman....
Perhaps some (ships) anchors aboard laugh.gif

Christian

#87 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 06:46 AM

Boundless Dave:

I think one would find that even an M&A 50 class would stall on Seligman Hill w/20 cars, half loads, half empties.

I think doubling the hill was pretty much standard practice.

Christian:

The 61 was a quickie repaint I did of a model available at TS. I think I started with the erielite.zip version.

#88 zhilton

zhilton

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 09:14 AM

Reported by AP News:
I think one would find that even an M&A 50 class would stall on Seligman Hill w/20 cars, half loads, half empties.

At any point in the life of the North Arkansas was there helpers stationed just to help Seligman/Joplin bound trains up the hill? I know that one of the activities has the "green horn" helping a train up the hill from Waldon to Seligman. I can see where DPU would be very help full. Time to demonstrate a couple of SD70MAC on the line. laugh.gif

#89 atsf37l

atsf37l

Railroad President

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 09:48 AM

QUOTE(laming @ Jan 9 2006, 06:46 AM)
Boundless Dave:

Christian:

The 61 was a quickie repaint I did of a model available at TS. I think I started with the erielite.zip version.

Howse about poppin' us an .ace file of that lil ol' herald? tongue.gif Or a graphic we can purloin? rolleyes.gif

#90 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 09:50 AM

Zack asked:

> At any point in the life of the North Arkansas was there helpers stationed
> just to help Seligman/Joplin bound trains up the hill?

I haven't read any accounts of such, so can't answer with any historical accuracy.

Very likely in the 50 years of operation that at some point in time they sent an engine down from Seligman to help in incoming freight up the hill.

The thing that was such an operational sore point with the Seligman Hill situation was that it was so short. It was likely cheaper to double into Seligman than pay the wages and expenses for another crew and steam engine.

Example: Doubling would add about 1 1/2 hours to the trip. The crew was still going to get their basic day's pay. (i.e. No added pay for doubling.) So it only "cost" the additional fuel and wear/tear on the engine.

To send a helper: You will have nearly the same in fuel and wear/tear by accounting for the additional engine. BUT... you now have to add a full day's wages for at least THREE (and possibly four) employees: Engineer, Fireman, Conductor, and possibly a head end brakeman.

So, believe it or not, it made financial sense to double the hill.

> I can see where DPU would be very help full. Time to demonstrate a
> couple of SD70MAC on the line.

ARGGHH!! Get thee behind me! How dare you suggest we take such a classic line and go an' ruin with modernity!!! Next thing you know, you'll be suggesting we pull up track and "streamline" operations!! rolleyes.gif

#91 zhilton

zhilton

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 10:30 AM

ARGGHH!! Get thee behind me! How dare you suggest we take such a classic line and go an' ruin with modernity!!! Next thing you know, you'll be suggesting we pull up track and "streamline" operations!!

My first thought was the SD45 model...but remembering the expense/fuel consumption of the four extra cylinders for only 600 more horsepower I skipped that idea. True the SD40-2 model series are a tried and true model and that had crossed my mind but "master/slave set-ups" have never really worked successful enough to be worth the effort. And after reading how poor the North Arkansas is...the last thing they need was more folks working as engine crews on manned helpers. Thus DPU, two folks moving a massive train over the grades with enough power to get the job done.

At first I wouldn't think of pulling the rails.... but after what you said...“mag lift” could quite possibly solve some issues here. laugh.gif wink.gif