Photo

Interesting StLNA Find...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
90 replies to this topic

#41 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 06:30 AM

Christian:

Neat trestle MA&PA pic. For a brief moment, I thought you had unearthed a North Arkansas pic I hadn't seen!!!

Steve said:

"That's the jewel of the St.L.&N.A... (others roads) are well documented and have a... following. But here's a little road every bit as charming and few knew about it."

If I were a betting man (I'm not), I would venture that prior to the release of the StLNA route, only three of us that frequent this place knew about it: Bill Hobbs, Zack Hilton and me. (It is noteworthy that we are all from this region.)

"I forwarded him the VSC Products page and he was mesmerized"

Well thanks, Steve!

"My boss, when he saw the NA Equipment Pack said, 'Get thee behind me! The last thing I need is another addicting hobby!' "

Cheap. Point out how CHEAP this hobby is. biggrin.gif

"And remember those three Ma & Pa cars in our rail yard just waiting to be digitally transferred to the ON!"

Oh yeah... 'bout those cars.... biggrin.gif

#42 chripsch

chripsch

Engineer

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 08:43 AM

Steve: Yeah tell your Boss how fine this hobby is!
All: Enjoy the pics of my Ttrain No4-act wink.gif

Can`t get enough of it laugh.gif

Attached Files

• Attached File  NA1.jpg   120.98KB   15 downloads

#43 chripsch

chripsch

Engineer

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 08:46 AM

...it takes more than 3 hours to run it from Seligman to Berryville,
but what is train-running without switching, running and passenger biz?

Attached Files

• Attached File  NA2.jpg   114.38KB   9 downloads

#44 chripsch

chripsch

Engineer

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 08:52 AM

You`re right: It would be boring! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

I don´t want to imagine how long it would take us to take a mixed to Harrison?
5 hours? 6??? I don`t know!

But: It would be fun!

Andre: IF you should decide one day that your thougths should become reality and you want to double the StL&NA why not in the early 1900s-era? Means just the part behind Urbanette would be new to build...
...and Johns magnificant rollingstock could be reused to run it?
Well just an idea wink.gif

Enjoy the pics,
... and steamin`the Ozarks!

Christian

Attached Files

• Attached File  NA3.jpg   100.56KB   8 downloads

#45 pnrailway

pnrailway

Commissioner

• All Aboard!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,395 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 09:53 AM

Andre,

That picture is the Gross Trestle located near the town of Sharon in Harford County, Maryland on the southern end of the Ma&Pa that was abandoned in 1958. The portion of the line that had the larges population center had the least amount of traffic and so it starved to death way before it's time.

Here is one even older than the shot Christian included:IPB Image

Paul

#46 atsf37l

atsf37l

Railroad President

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 11:50 AM

QUOTE(laming @ Dec 31 2005, 08:32 PM)
BTW2: During the later years, many lightweight bridges could not handle true double headers. The result? The helper was cut-into the train farther back to avoid overloading the bridges. This made for a cool looking sight!

Funny you should mention that, I just ran "Let it Snow 2" that way last night, cutting in the Freeman tonnage between the engines due to the trestles from there to Tunnel. In fact, I topped the grade in the Tunnel tunnel at Midnight. I chose to ring in the new year on the St.L&NA! laugh.gif

That was another narrow gauge operating trick to run multiple 2-8-2s over bridges built for 2-8-0s and 4-6-0s. Otto would be proud. tongue.gif

#47 atsf37l

atsf37l

Railroad President

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 11:53 AM

QUOTE(chripsch @ Jan 1 2006, 03:22 AM)
Here the trestle gave way on the Central California Traction...
The engine was scrap, the engineman escaped without any injuries.

Christian

'Cept to his nerves! laugh.gif

#48 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 01:32 PM

Paul:

Thanks for the additional insight!

Christian commented and asked:

> I don´t want to imagine how long it would take us to take a mixed to Harrison?
> 5 hours? 6??? I don`t know!

Non-stop running time alone would be about 2 1/2 hours.

> IF you should decide one day that your thougths should become reality
> and you want to double the StL&NA why not in the early 1900s-era?
> Means just the part behind Urbanette would be new to build...
> ...and Johns magnificant rollingstock could be reused to run it?
> Well just an idea

And a good one. One that I've considered.

HOWEVER, I came to the conclusion that I like the idea of three totally different products built upon the North Arkansas:

* The StLNA as being constructed: Circa 1902.
* The A&O Sub "what if" modernized to 1988.
* The M&A during 1944.

No two would be alike. The equipment is different, the enviornment is different, the track is different... there would be a very different experience in each route. I like that idea. Agreed, it means more work for me (making the changes/creating new content/etc), Jon and Bill, but better value for VSC's customers.

Speaking of Urbanette and other existing towns: No, the towns as seen in either the current StLNA or the A&O will again be modified. Immediate reasons:

* The overall length of the route (meaning more towns w/some switching as well as longer mainline run) would mean that I wouldn't be as hard pressed to create interest by "embellishing" existing towns.

* I would hope to find track charts and therefore model as many of the towns as accurately as reasonable, keeping in mind that the finished product must have good play value, even if I have to break down and "create it" via embellishment.

Did any of that make sense??? blink.gif

Guess what I'm saying is that if I do an M&A version, I would hope it could be more "sincere" historically... IF there is enough play value as is. Deep down inside, though, I suspect I will have to insure said play value with some anachronisms and addendums. rolleyes.gif

Also, bear in mind that I have another early era steam road headed your way soon. (With 1-2 more possible.) By the time I get the Ozark Northern to market, and the Rock Island diesel route following, it will be time for change yet again, perhaps? I've never done anything in the early 40's... so time for a new challenge? We shall see!

Herb:

> I chose to ring in the new year on the St.L&NA!

Good man, good man. biggrin.gif

#49 chripsch

chripsch

Engineer

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 01:51 AM

Hi Andre!

Great Idea: Three versions! laugh.gif
But for the beginning it would be enough doubeling the StL&NA ala 1901 wink.gif
Means less work for you for the 1st part rolleyes.gif
...just a bit landscape-improvements like your wonderful Ozark Northern rivers,
just some horses and stage-wagons and wagon-roads....

Yeah I think this would be enough work if you`re really planning one day doubeling the line wink.gif

And we mustn`t forget: As the Ozark Northern and the Rock Island-branch are the first ones it would take a lil bit to wait for us biggrin.gif

Lets enjoy the Ozarks and and lets look what VSC in 2006 will create for us!

Christian

#50 zhilton

zhilton

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 05:29 AM

"My boss, when he saw the NA Equipment Pack said, 'Get thee behind me! The last thing I need is another addicting hobby!' "

When I first purchased my motorcar, Fairmont MT19-A three years ago it was in many pieces. Reckon you could call it a basket case. laugh.gif Anyway I was taking parts of it to work with me to clean them up during my lunch break. No one really cared or even raised an eyebrow when I was working on the engine...an Onan CCKB (also used for welders, lawn tractors, and RV generators). But when I brought the transmission case in to clean it up in a parts washer...that got a couple of eyebrows up. The responses I got when I (A) explained what the part was and what it went in and (cool.gif how the car is was used for ROW work and now as a "toy" were rather funny. My boss asked me where I found the car. I told him where and even showed him a website (www.narcoa.org) that had pictures of other cars for sale. Even has a photos of trips made with these cars. One of my former co-workers asked why I had a strange hobby. I replied I preferred unique hobby...didn't want to get into one of those "normal" hobbies like motorcycles, fishing or racing. wink.gif

#51 chripsch

chripsch

Engineer

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 01:45 PM

Steve: Did you tell your boss already about the meet at Beaver?

Attached Files

#52 chripsch

chripsch

Engineer

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 01:46 PM

...with crossing the river and the narrows behind??

Attached Files

#53 chripsch

chripsch

Engineer

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 01:47 PM

...switching at Junction...

Attached Files

#54 chripsch

chripsch

Engineer

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 01:48 PM

...and steaming with the last power up to the tunnel?

Attached Files

#55 chripsch

chripsch

Engineer

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 01:50 PM

Does he know that Grandview is a great place for switching some flats?

Then its time to make him knowing it tongue.gif

Happy rails!

Christian,

The narrow-gauge-minded wide-gauger at the Ozarks

Attached Files

#56 S. Weaver

S. Weaver

Dispatcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 04:09 PM

Christian:

Yeah, he knows all about it. That's why he holds it at arm's length.

Zack:

Those guys ran our line last summer. We joined them with our little Fairmont. Some of them have real cadillacs. They go all over the the lower 48. Nice hobby; anybody can fish.

#57 zhilton

zhilton

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 03:24 AM

As posted by Steve:
Those guys ran our line last summer. We joined them with our little Fairmont. Some of them have real cadillacs. They go all over the the lower 48. Nice hobby; anybody can fish.

There a couple folks that have gone to the "newer" set up...buying the used hi-rail Explorers, Broncos, Suburans and the likes. I personally like my car, fist in my garage real nice and gives a feel for how things were done back in the day. Though in the case of my car...it would have benn 1982-1990. As far as "anybody can fish"....shoot a really nice motorcar/trailer set-up and ready to go cost about 3/4 of a bass boat and gets 3 times the time between fill ups laugh.gif

#58 atsf37l

atsf37l

Railroad President

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 07:49 AM

Photos, Mr. Hilton, photos! Inquiring minds want to see the toy! tongue.gif

#59 atsf37l

atsf37l

Railroad President

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 08:47 AM

QUOTE(S. Weaver @ Jan 1 2006, 05:32 AM)
My boss, when he saw the NA Equipment Pack said, "Get thee behind me!  The last thing I need is another addicting hobby!"  He knows of what he speaks ...

It's funny to hear you say that because that was me as well prior to 2004. I had "Demo" tested MSTS in 2001 when it first came out and found it less than satisfying with all the default junk and a marginal route section. And yet, here was something I had dreamed of a decade earlier when computers really began to take off - actual train operation simulation with the ability to not just run from point A to point B but to couple and uncouple, switch and control. I knew that if it ever got off the ground with some decent equipment and routes that I would jump in with both feet and I couldn't in any way afford the time. Besides, I didn't want to give up my "brick and mortar" model railroading. dry.gif

Then came 3DTrains' Warbonnet F's blink.gif and the promise of someday being able to run them in San Diegan service on the Fourth District of the Los Angeles Division ohmy.gif and the reality of running them over Cajon and Tehachapi and Glorieta and Raton Passes - well that just did me in! rolleyes.gif Then I go and discover my old friend from Sn3, Andre Ming, is doing period stuff in V-Scale and I was totally gone.

I haven't sent juice to an electric train motor in nearly two years! Nor have I cleaned an inch of track! laugh.gif

#60 S. Weaver

S. Weaver

Dispatcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 03:32 PM

QUOTE(atsf37l @ Jan 4 2006, 10:47 AM)
I haven't sent juice to an electric train motor in nearly two years! Nor have I cleaned an inch of track! laugh.gif

I think that may be what he's afraid of, Uncle Herb. He has a 40x30 HOn3 layout of scratchbuilt structures, brass locos, etc. Over five scale miles of track modeling the RGS. Heavy investment.

My experience was similar: running default Dash 9's over the clunky roller coaster that was supposed to be Marias Pass. I finally ended up spending a lot of time on the St. Anton/Innsbruck route, downloading European stuff and despairing of ever finding the Golden Age of railroading in the US represented in MSTS. And then I saw some of Andre's screenshots over at Train-sim. The rest, as they say, is history ... thumbsup.gif