Photo

Interesting StLNA Find...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
90 replies to this topic

#21 chripsch

chripsch

Engineer

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 02:56 AM

Another Pic....

Attached Files

#22 TomW

TomW

Dispatcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 06:17 AM

Here's a photo of the actual loco.

Two of these 2-foot gauge diesels were built by GE in the 1950s for the
Whitinsville Machine Co in Massachusetts for use on their plant trackage.
Both units are now at the Maine Narrow Gauge Museum in Portland.

Christian did a great job on the model!!

Attached Files

#23 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 08:14 AM

Indeed he did! Neat looking little critter!

#24 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 11:14 AM

Zach:

Noticed I failed to answer some questions you asked in this thread previously, I will endeavor to do so now:

> A couple of the towns listed I can't find on my map for a reference.
> Towns like: Monark Springs and Wayne.

Your wish is my command.

Go to topozone.com and type in "Monark Springs" and select "MO", hit "Search".

Do the same for Wayne.

Presto. Your mystery is solved.

BTW, the maps in Topozone have those detailed roads you mentioned that you desired. Simply print the map being viewed.

>...did the State of Missouri pave part of the ROW to become Hwy 76/86?
> That highway goes to several of the small towns listed on the First District.

Very likely. I'm not familiar with the exact location you're in reference to, but once you cruise through that area using Topozone, it will become obvious as to whether or not the highway is the ROW.

> Maybe I should pick up one of those new fangled things called a book.

You might be surprised what you can learn if you go offline and actually read a book! I love good RR books, as my continually growing library attests.

> I hear there is one written about the Railroads of Arkansas; wonder
> if there would be anything about the ROW in SW Missouri?

I suspect you are referring to "Shortline Railroads of Arkansas" by Clifton Hull. I have an old original. There is lots of information therein, as well as some interesting pictures. However, much of the data in regards to the NW Ark area has since been updated with more accurate info unearthed by yours truly as well as other sources.

If the North Arkansas in particular is your aim, then there is no other book other than the excellent work by James Fair titled: "The North Arkansas Line". Though a small hardback format with pulp paper pages (which causes the priceless photos to not be of the greatest quality), if you can find a copy, it is a dandy and the ONLY definitive game in town for the North Arkansas.

EDITt: Through the wonders of the internet, a quick search reveals several copies of "The North Arkansas Line" are available here and there.

#25 TomW

TomW

Dispatcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 11:37 AM

If you're looking for old ROWs, do a search for old US Geological Survey Maps.

www.maptech.com had scanned USGS maps from the 1920s and 1930s that
were invaluable in locating an old route on current Topomaps.

In several cases, roads were relocated to old ROWs, or the ROW became \
current 4WD trails.

#26 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 12:16 PM

Thanks for the tip, Tom.

Unfortunately, neither Missouri or Arkansas had a listing under the Historic maps index.

Bummer. sad.gif

#27 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 10:39 PM

In keeping with the North Arkansas theme of this thread... below you'll find a pic that I scanned from a slide I took many moons ago. You're looking at an acceptable representation of a turn of the 19th century locomotive sitting right smack in the actual Eureka Springs yard area!

Ah... steam in the Ozarks!! wub.gif

Attached Files

#28 atsf37l

atsf37l

Railroad President

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 02:24 AM

Whose li'l Mogul was that, Andre? Sweet little hog!

#29 chripsch

chripsch

Engineer

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 03:53 AM

Hi Andre!

Interesting pic! Looks a bit like a colour-retouche of a black-white photos at thebeginning of the 20th centaury. At least this slide provides a bit of their atmospehere.
I like this ancient stuff! About the retouched Sandy River postcards I read this work was done in Germany for the lil 2-footer. I never thought this biz has been a speciality of my ancestors...
I also decided to fill my knowledge-gaps and to look around the book you`re promoting:
The North Arkansas Line

I am almost through my Sandy River books and need some new stuff to read!
Yeah, I think ABEbooks will`ve the one or another copy for me!

I wish you all a happy new year with lots of RR-fun in the Ozarks!
With best new-year-wishes from Germany where the old year ends in 11h 11 minutes...

Christian

#30 S. Weaver

S. Weaver

Dispatcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 06:10 AM

Just ordered the North Arkansas Line from Amazon. Thanks for the heads up.

#31 chripsch

chripsch

Engineer

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 07:29 AM

Just ordered the North Arkansas Line from Amazon. Thanks for the heads up.

Me too! wink.gif 22 $ for the book should be a good price!

Christian

#32 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 07:57 AM

Herb:

That used to belong to the "Grigsby" collection and was on lease to the Eureka Springs & North Arkansas, where I photographed it as you see it in the early 80's. I'm uncertain if the ES&NA ever purchased it or not. I do know that it is no longer active and has been on display only for a few years due to the $$ it would require to bring it up to boiler specs. I learned to run steam on that little sweetie. Talk about wonderful stack talk!! That cabbage head exhaust stack added a resonance to the exhaust bark that was wonderful... and its whistle was glorious, too. I used to give myself goose bumps running it!! blush.gif

As I recall, it's a Baldwin product of 1906.

There is a sister engine to it, #2, also of the "Grigsby" collection, but it was converted to oil and has a straight stack. I have pics of it when it was down at Scott, Arkansas on the "Scott & Bearskin Lake" tourist line.

Christian:

Seeing that it was scanned from a transparency, the pic does have an "odd" look to it, somewhat remniscent of those old colorized postcards.

Steve & Christian:

Cool! (On the purchase of the book "North Arkansas Line".) I found the North Arkansas' history fascinating. It never really stood much of a chance financially, which makes it even more amazing that it survived for 50 years!

I ought to pick up another copy myself. I purchased the one I own at the ES&NA depot's Gift Shop back in '82 or '83. (ES&NA owner Bob Dortch had the book reprinted so it could be sold in the Gift Shop.) Over the years, I've pretty much worn it out. (Being scanned on the flatbed often hasn't helped.) I think I paid $15 for mine.

The North Arkansas' nickname was taken from the initials "M&NA" and was called the "May Never Arrive". wink.gif

Well, all for now!

#33 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 08:44 AM

LOL!!

I just hopped over to Amazon.com to purchase a second copy of "The North Arkansas Line" to use as my "shelf/reading" copy (retaining this very worn one for my working copy) and... they're GONE!!

You guys have already purchased the $22 North Arkansas Line books!!

There was something like 5 or so yesterday... but no more!

Wow. Is VSC singlehandedly responsible for elevating the North Arkansas to almost "popular" status????

Seriously, it is very gratifying that (to a lesser degree) my punitive efforts HAVE raised the consciousness of several hundred rail enthusiasts about the charm and fascination of The May Never Arrive.

#34 chripsch

chripsch

Engineer

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 09:18 AM

Hi Andre!

Real interesting like VSCALECREATIONS pushed the demand tongue.gif
I think I ordered the 2nd last for 22 USD wink.gif
Who bought the last remaining one for this price?
I am innocent innocent.gif
Yeah, seems you made the StL&NA getting cult-status wink.gif
The next books will be sold for 200 $ or so devil.gif

Might also VSCALECREATION`s "The May Never Arrive RR" arrive one
day at this popularity!!!

It doesn`t become boring running it! I spent this month estimated 20 hours on it...

And before I close: A happy new year 2006 to everone!!!

Christian

...who celebrates the new year in 5 hours 47 minutes.

#35 zhilton

zhilton

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 06:52 PM

Posted by Andre:
Wow. Is VSC singlehandedly responsible for elevating the North Arkansas to almost "popular" status????

I wonder if Amazon would be interested in giving you a cut of the profit...or at least a discount on your copy? dry.gif You did point everyone that way and built an interest for a railroad that few have heard about outside Arkansas/Missouri. I wish the happiest of happy new years to all everyone. And please remember our troops servicing overseas. That goes to our allies on the other side of "the pond" as well.

Zack Hilton & family

#36 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 08:12 PM

Zack said:

"...and built an interest for a railroad (ed: StLNA/M&NA/M&A) that few have heard about outside Arkansas/Missouri."

Oddly, that aspect of all this is very gratifying.

Since my discovery of the ol' May Never Arrive back in the mid-70s, I've known it was a fascinating operation that struggled against insurmountable odds. Bill Hobbs likens the M&A to an Ozarks version of the Rio Grande Southern. I agree. Once you get intimately familiar with the history and modus operandi of the M&A, you can definitely see the resemblances!

So, yes, to be able to share the StLNA (and maybe someday the M&A?) in the way that MSTS affords is frosting on the cake.

#37 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 08:32 PM

BTW, if an M&A route from VSC ever does see the light of day... some of the grades east of the modeled portions on the StLNA/A&O will make the long climb to Tunnel look like child's play. We're talking 8 miles of 1.75% up Capps Hill westbound out of Harrison, and 6 miles of the same eastbound just out of Alpena to Batavia! PLUS, the track condition was such you couldn't get 40+ MPH "runs" at them! Talk about slugging your way up grades.

BTW2: During the later years, many lightweight bridges could not handle true double headers. The result? The helper was cut-into the train farther back to avoid overloading the bridges. This made for a cool looking sight!

Here's another poor scan to illustrate what I'm talking about...

Attached Files

#38 chripsch

chripsch

Engineer

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 03:12 AM

Hi all,
a happy new year for you!!!

Andre:

Sounds great the type of activity the M&A did handle. The MA&PA had similar problems like my scan from the boook "The MA&PA" by George W. Hilton proves.
Although they said the trestle could stand the weight of two locomotives they preferred to put the 2nd in the middle of the train...
Finally when the 1st already has left the trestle the 2nd was allowed to enter it :-)

Would be a new dimenstion of virtual railroading rebuilding such a route for the MSTS biggrin.gif

Crashing trestles weren`t that uncommon I`ve heard?!

Happy rails,

Christian

Attached Files

• Attached File  MAPA.jpg   118.32KB   0 downloads

#39 chripsch

chripsch

Engineer

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 03:22 AM

Here the trestle gave way on the Central California Traction...
The engine was scrap, the engineman escaped without any injuries.

Christian

Attached Files

#40 S. Weaver

S. Weaver

Dispatcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 05:32 AM

QUOTE(laming @ Dec 31 2005, 10:12 PM)
Oddly, that aspect of all this is very gratifying.

Since my discovery of the ol' May Never Arrive back in the mid-70s, I've known it was a fascinating operation that struggled against insurmountable odds. Bill Hobbs likens the M&A to an Ozarks version of the Rio Grande Southern. I agree. Once you get intimately familiar with the history and modus operandi of the M&A, you can definitely see the resemblances!

That's the jewel of the St.L.&N.A. The RGS and Ma & Pa are well documented and have a huge (large?) following. But here's a little road every bit as charming and few knew about it.

There's a Ma & Pa enthusiast at work: lives near the ROW; helping to restore No. 8; Ma & Pa calendars/screensaver; the whole enchilada. I forwarded him the VSC Products page and he was mesmerized: "This is an MSTS route?" Yup. "And you get to run this equipment?" Yup. "Unbelievable!" My boss, when he saw the NA Equipment Pack said, "Get thee behind me! The last thing I need is another addicting hobby!" He knows of what he speaks ...

So be gratified Andre. We are extremely grateful for your mad scheming and efforts. And remember those three Ma & Pa cars in our rail yard just waiting to be digitally transferred to the ON!