Photo

New Toy! (proto Pics)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
38 replies to this topic

#21 SeanK97

SeanK97

Operations Manager

• 3DTrains Moderator
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 09:18 PM

Beautiful stuff Andre, just love the Kodachrome!!!!!!!!

#22 zhilton

zhilton

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 09:23 PM

w00t.gif Now those last two are great....sorry guys, blue EMD power spins the crank over here. And a screaming eagle leading a yellow MoP. There was a time it was common place to see that. Not anymore. crying.gif Andre, are you trying to say Santa stopped by? As far as the double decker bus, I have no clue. I'm not even sure what happened to it. It ran around Ft. Smith for a couple of years or so. I couldn't even tell you when it left, let alone the model/brand.

#23 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 09:35 PM

"Beautiful stuff Andre, just love the Kodachrome!!!!!!!"

Thanks Sean. Ever try to find the stuff lately? Or, worse yet, find a lab that will process it? Slide film is going to become like trying to find dinosaur dookie, I'm a'feared.

Frankly, I'm still not at all comfortable shooting action shots with my Canon digital camera. I hate the lag it has after pressing the trigger. For stills: A-okay. Not sold on it for action shots though.

Zack:

Nope, not really a new toy, as in "Christmas", but more of a "just decided to learn/use the feature". This new scanner has been in installed/functioning for over a month now. I use it to scan my prints for texture use.

#24 SeanK97

SeanK97

Operations Manager

• 3DTrains Moderator
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 09:44 PM

Just read someplace recently that the Kodak labs were no longer processing it except in a couple locations throughout the states. I'll fire a message to my buddy in a professional lab in Holland Michigan and see what he has to offer and I'll let you know.

#25 zhilton

zhilton

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 10:02 PM

I mail order my Kodachrome 64 though B&H up in New York. I buy the film & mailer package since the Kodak lab in Dallas closed several years ago. The rolls are mailed to Fairlawn (old mailers that haven't been used yet). Fairlawn was closed in early 2004 I belive. The last several rolls I sent them came back from Hampton Park. As far as I can tell it's still a Kodak lab. The slides come back in Kodak boxes and Kodak mounts. Andre if your in one of those "issues" when you have to have your film today, Bedford's here in town sells the rolls and mailer; they also used to ship them to Dallas...but that was before that lab closed. As far as digital cameras for action shoots. There are a couple models out there that are SLR bodies with digital guts. Shoot really nice shots...but you think folks holler about $40 for a route...you ain't looked the price of one of those Cannon E20D. blink.gif The price tag I saw (was going to hit santa.gif up a year or so ago) was around $3500 for the body and a basic len that you'd use for roster shoots. crying.gif

#26 Longhairedwizard

Longhairedwizard

Stationmaster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 11:06 PM

Beautiful photos Andre!!!....the resolution looks fine to me cool.gif

Bill Bzak

#27 august1929

august1929

Railroad President

• Commercial Vendor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 01:10 AM

Andre, thanks for the spread - beautiful photographs.

Loved the BN shots and the 2nd Van Buren crossing - real atmosphere there.

I am a sucker for railroad photos at the best of times, but when you have a route you can replicate the action on, then I am in 7th Heaven...

Thanks for sharing Andre

Rodster

#28 SeanK97

SeanK97

Operations Manager

• 3DTrains Moderator
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 06:23 AM

Thanks for all the information regarding the Kodachrome Zack, it is nice to see that my memory hasn't failed completely, yet!

#29 darkflyer

darkflyer

ATSF Crosstied and Certified

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 09:27 AM

Talk about being in the Right place at the Right Time. Andre If I believed in such stuff I'd say you have been kissed by a muse. That or you were born under a lucky star. innocent.gif thumbsup.gif wink.gif

Cheers and Roebuck, Clif

#30 S. Weaver

S. Weaver

Dispatcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 02:36 PM

Nice, Andre. Echo what all the guys are saying. I love the 90 lbs stick rail and telegraph poles, too. It's hard to believe that was all "normal and everyday" once.

#31 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 02:51 PM

Steve said:

"It's hard to believe that was all "normal and everyday" once."

Well, my next photo thread is going back even further. smile.gif

Stay tuned.

#32 milepost56

milepost56

Commissioner

• 3DTrains Moderator
  • 2,116 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 03:25 PM

Those last 2 shots with the Mopac are classic, it damn near brings tears to ones eyes wink.gif

#33 Frisco2

Frisco2

Track Layer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 10:17 PM

Andre,

I couldn't help it, I just had to respond to this post, after seeing the A&M pics Post, You and I probably brushed shoulders in Springdale back 1988, I interviewed for a position in the locomotive shop in Springdale, when the A&M first arrived.

Well I didn’t get the job because of “lack of experience”; I too have a lot of the same photos that you took. You probably worked with a lot former Frisco/BN guys who were my friends.

Dave

#34 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 09:35 AM

Dave confessed:

> I couldn't help it, I just had to respond to this post,

Welcome, Dave! Jump in and get your feet wet at our cozy little corner of the cyberworld!

> ...after seeing the A&M pics Post, You and I probably brushed shoulders in
> Springdale back 1988,

Very likely! If you saw a tall, slender, dark haired fellow that was stunningly handsome... that was me! rolleyes.gif (Don't know what happened along the way between then and now to become the gassy ol' geezer I've become.)

> Well I didn’t get the job because of “lack of experience”;

The A&M was/is a weird outfit.

> I too have a lot of the same photos that you took.

Are you sure you still have them? Perhaps I slipped in unawares and stole them from your collection. devil.gif

> You probably worked with a lot former Frisco/BN guys who were my friends.

Hmmm.... it may be long enough now to not get them in trouble (much of my railroading was, uh... not entirely RR approved. blush.gif )

Lessee... on the A&M the ones I remember the most:

Alan Arnold
Steve Willard

Frisco:

Ralph MacAdams
Harry Bridges
Jim Christenberry
Harry Carrol
Darrel Rantz
A.W. McBride
"Big John" Seymour
Tom Lavalier
Winston Harvey
Etc.

With some of the above, it could be that I remember them more than they remember me! Unfortunately, some of the above have Pulled The Big Pin and have left us.

Here's a "small world" situation:

My current supervisor at Pioneer RailCorp is Tom Black. His office is in Peoria, IL. Anyway, when Tom and I first met eye to eye (as opposed to phone conversations) we fell to talking railroading past. (Imagine that.)

He asked where all I'd railroaded, I told him about my history, including fessing-up to all the "questionable" (i.e. unauthorized) stuff. Told him 'bout beginning my switching experiences back in the early 70's, then told him that it was Harry Bridges that first set me in the hot seat (i.e. the engineer's seat) to run back in the early 80's.

Hearing all this, his eyes lit up. "I remember seeing you! I thought you looked familiar!"

Turns out he was likely on some of the engines when I was on the ground helping with the switching!! Also turns out that his late uncle was a good friend of mine: Albert Black. (A retired railroader, btw.)

Railroading really is a small world.

Say, seeing as your nickname is Frisco2... you may get a kick out of the "Frisco moment" I just had...

I'm at the church office right now. A few minutes ago I went out to our Fellowship Hall to pour me another cup of coffee. As I was in there, I heard a KCS freight blowing for the crossings near town. The KCS engine had the most beautiful Leslie 5 chime... just like those on the Frisco engines. "En atomo", in a moment's time, my mind flashed back to the times I mention above and I was a young man again, pulling pins and riding the steps of Frisco engines along with some mighty good company.

Strange the way our minds work, isn't it?

Don't be a stranger around here, Dave... anybody that likes the Frisco has got to be a good egg!

BTW, are you still in the NW Arkansas region?

#35 atsf37l

atsf37l

Railroad President

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 10:50 AM

QUOTE(laming @ Jan 3 2006, 09:35 AM)
Hmmm.... it may be long enough now to not get them in trouble (much of my railroading was, uh... not entirely RR approved. blush.gif )

laugh.gif That sums up my railroad "career" in a nutshell! laugh.gif laugh.gif Often used, never paid. tongue.gif

#36 zhilton

zhilton

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 01:03 PM

Posted by Andre:

Very likely! If you saw a tall, slender, dark haired fellow that was stunningly handsome... that was me! (Don't know what happened along the way between then and now to become the gassy ol' geezer I've become.)

(Since I know Andre and his family I couldn't let this one get away.) I didn't know you when you were stunningly handsome.... but in the sake of fairness...you granddaughter most likely got all the handsome-ness you had. wink.gif No offense Andre, but the person you just described isn't the same person that has built the StL&NA, A&O or is building the ON in V-scale. dry.gif All I can say is thank you Lord that my kids good their good looks from there mother...dad is a "work in progress" laugh.gif

As far as Tommy Black, I didn't know he was still in the area. Many moons ago I rode the cab of one of the GP9 into town one evening with him. For a young fellow, in a long-hood forward ex-GN unit no less, it was a real experience. First generation power has a sound all it's own...and riding the cab as this geep drug 20+ cars into town was a sight/sound to behold from the fireman's seat. smile.gif

#37 Redwall

Redwall

Stationmaster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 01:09 PM

Cool!

#38 Frisco2

Frisco2

Track Layer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 07:55 PM

Andre,

I currently live in Rogers; I grew up in Bentonville, speaking of the five chime horns, Here’s a little story for you, my Dad owned a Bearcat scanner that he gave to me. Included were the Frisco and KCS channels.

So one Friday night over Christmas vacation I was up late and the local switcher was in town the scanner was busy so I took my new cassette recorder I got for Christmas made a recording from bedroom window of the switcher working and the crew talking on the radio.

Oh that was cool! Then came the bonus the trainmaster out of Fort Smith voice came booming over the radio he was trying to contact the Springfield sub Dispatcher, they had a car on the south end of the siding at Avoca, to me it wasn’t clear whether the car was on the ground or not.

He was trying to tell the dispatcher to NOT head train 731 in the siding at Avoca because they stood a good chance tearing up their train if they had to back out. I still own that recording my tape is dated Dec 25 1978.

A.W. McBride: I met A.W. when he was working the Rogers, Bentonville local he’s famous for his Railroad Photography some of his work has ended up in the local history calendar and some of the All Aboard issues that I have.

Alan “Arney” Arnold: I met him when he was working 91431 the Rogers Local. I used to make my daily morning stops at the depot during the BN days and visit with him and the other guys before that started their day. (Lots of stories there)

Here’s a couple that left us.
Al Morsani: Railroad Agent /Telegraph operator (Rogers). It was said that Al could type faster with two fingers than someone using both hands (Frisco and Burlington Northern).

Jack West: Conductor (Santa Fe, Frisco, Burlington Northern, Arkansas & Missouri) Jack was a good friend I certainly will miss, He and his wife would drop by the house to visit from time to time. His brother was my neighbor.

It was funny I was well known among the RR community One night I overheard the crew on 712 talking about me, When the A&M was taking over “ Yup ol Dave is going to be Tony’s right hand man”. I got chuckle out of that one.

I would like to sit down with you someday and chew the fat about our Railroading days.

Dave

#39 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 08:24 PM

Hi 'Ya Dave!

You jogged another memory file: Another railroad friend was "Buddy" Stedman, the Frisco depot agent at Van Buren. He was a savvy old operator. He hearkened from the telegraph days and could still make a "bug" click like it was having a nervous breakdown. Took me crappie fishing one day... we froze our hiney's off and never got a bite... but sure had a good visit. Last I heard, he too, has left us.

We'll have to hook up one of these days for sure. Wife's due to be in Springdale next Tuesday evening for a lengthy "hair do" session. (It's a long story why she STILL drives back to this hair salon long after we've left that region.) Maybe I can tag along with her and we can meet up somewhere and drink some coffee and railroad a while!

Hmmm. Yup, perhaps if I'm a good boy and get enough MSTS work done before then, I will allow myself to just that. blink.gif What's your Tuesday evening look like?

Andre