Photo

Diesel Hydraulics

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 trainman

trainman

Motorman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 12 November 2005 - 12:52 PM

Hi I was wondering will there be anymore Hydraulic locos like the Hood Unit or the Alco unit?

#2 century242

century242

Dispatcher

• Sacramento Locomotive Works
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 12 November 2005 - 04:26 PM

Not at this moment.

#3 Boldri

Boldri

Ticket Inspector

• Valued Customer
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 11:54 PM

QUOTE(trainman @ Nov 12 2005, 10:52 PM)
Hi I was wondering will there be anymore Hydraulic locos like the Hood Unit or the Alco unit?

Hi trainman,

Do you mean Alco DH643 "Alcohaulics" ? I saw some photos of them, but dont know too much about them.

#4 trainman

trainman

Motorman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 11:10 AM

Yes I am looking for the Alco diesel hydraulic along with this unit. http://www.northeast...ages/sp9006.jpg

#5 lgbguy

lgbguy

New Hire

• Valued Customer
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 07:29 AM

That photo is of a Krauss-Maffei. Sacramento Locomotive Works made that before!!!!!!!! mad.gif

#6 trainman

trainman

Motorman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 04:58 PM

FYI there was two types of diesel hydraulic built by Krauss-Maffei.

#7 B32BWH

B32BWH

Engineer Trainee

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 05:46 PM

I think i prefer the standard cab Krauss-Maffei units more than the cowl body ones...just something about...looks attractive.

#8 BLW_1946

BLW_1946

Commissioner

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,455 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 01:59 PM

Looking at the .eng files for the K-Ms, I see that there is a dynamic braking section, but no controller section for the dynamics. If they did have dynamics, would that be the standard 10-position switch?

#9 Chucksc

Chucksc

Curmudgeon 1st Class

• PRR-ER
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 04:17 PM

QUOTE(BLW_1946 @ Jan 28 2007, 12:40 PM) View Post

Looking at the .eng files for the K-Ms, I see that there is a dynamic braking section, but no controller section for the dynamics. If they did have dynamics, would that be the standard 10-position switch?

If you think about it, it's kinda hard to have dynamic brakes when you have a hydraulic transmission not an electrical one... I guess The best you could hope for would probably be Engine Braking like downshifting your car....

#10 milepost56

milepost56

Commissioner

• 3DTrains Moderator
  • 2,114 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 04:55 PM

QUOTE(BLW_1946 @ Jan 28 2007, 2:40 PM) View Post

No dynamic brakes Tim as Chuck stated since the power was hydraulic. I remember once reading an article in Trains from way back that stated there was not much coasting on the locomotive either. I would imagine the back pressure from the hydraulics would give you a retrictive force, hence slowing the unit down wink.gif

#11 BLW_1946

BLW_1946

Commissioner

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,455 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 05:38 PM

Thanks for the education. I just noticed the discrepancy in the .eng file when I was checking out a new cabview that was posted recently on t-s. I recall seeing pictures in Trains or Railfan years ago, but never really gave much thought to the specifics. They do have some interesting sounds...

#12 sstyrnol

sstyrnol

Santa Fe Nut

• Beta Tester
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 08:09 AM

QUOTE(Chucksc @ Jan 28 2007, 11:58 PM) View Post

If you think about it, it's kinda hard to have dynamic brakes when you have a hydraulic transmission not an electrical one... I guess The best you could hope for would probably be Engine Braking like downshifting your car....

QUOTE(milepost56 @ Jan 29 2007, 12:36 AM) View Post

No dynamic brakes Tim as Chuck stated since the power was hydraulic. I remember once reading an article in Trains from way back that stated there was not much coasting on the locomotive either. I would imagine the back pressure from the hydraulics would give you a retrictive force, hence slowing the unit down wink.gif

I am not too familar with the Krauss-Maffei dieselhydraulics, but AFAIK they are a derivative of the German V200 class.

IPB Image

The V200 class had no dynamic brakes, "only" a pneumatic brake. As you pointed out, the concept of dynamic braking as you understand it does not exist with dieselhydraulic traction. wink.gif However there is the so-called "operative brake" (German: "Betriebsbremse"), which as per German operating rules is the default brake to use. It uses hydrodynamic braking and in its result works just like dynamic braking, just on a fluid-based level.

The Class 218 diesels, which are Germany's most powerful current diesels, are equipped with such a hydrodynamic brake.

IPB Image