Photo

Problem with install

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 G10

G10

Fireman

• Valued Customer
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 05:08 PM

mad.gif
Hi, I recently purchased the keycodes and downloaded the BNSF motive power set from Dekosoft, but three of the files will not install. They are the SD40, GP and Common resources files. After downloading the files and I click on them, I get an error message that states "This file contains invalid data." I emailed Dekosoft to try to figure out what was going on and received a reply from Chip that there is nothing wrong with the files and that they became corrupt when I downloaded them. So, I re-downloaded those three files three more times and I still get the same message. There was no problem in downloading and installing the other files in that set, nor the free coil cars, nor the free autoparts boxcar set. I even downloaded a UP engine and a BN engine to see if they would open (which they did up to the enter keycode dialog, in which I terminated those two programs).

Now, like most MSFS'ers, I have downloaded quite a few add-ons. And there have been zero problems installing them. What is different about the three files (and only these three files) that makes them corrupt when I download them?

Is any one else having this problem???

#2 SeanK97

SeanK97

Operations Manager

• 3DTrains Moderator
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 07:13 PM

You mention that you have downloaded and tried to re-install three times, did you delete the original downloads before re-downloading, or did you simply overwrite the original files over and over? Can't think of anything beyond the overwriting that would cause the corruption you are suffering from, perhaps your drive is getting too full and it simply cannot access the files adequately, is that a possibility?

I know when my drive © gets past 70-75% full strange things just happen out of the blue, causing me to move files off © and on to (D) just to clean up a bit. A good defrag and the problems go away.

Lastly, might consider a re-install of Winzip, perhaps the files are okay and the Zip utility is goofy?? Might want to try another zip utility like Winrar to see what happens.

Just a thought,...

#3 dekosoft

dekosoft

Dekosoft Support

• Dekosoft
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 07:43 PM

Sorry, but I've downloaded and verified that the installers are all working properly on two different networks, so my guess is there is something amiss in your setup.

I've sent you an e-mail with a possible workaround.

#4 mmartin51

mmartin51

Stationmaster

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 11:31 PM

I had the same problem with one of the sets I bought and after a number of redownloads, I deleted the original file, redownloaded and it installed perfectly. If you just overwrote, you need to delete and give it a try.

#5 G10

G10

Fireman

• Valued Customer
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 06:56 PM

Chip sent me an email and I think we have it solved.

I was using the King Co. (Washington) Library's high speed internet service to download these files onto a pen drive, then transfer them to my home computer. In looking back, only about half of each file was getting downloaded. Who knows why???

Anyway, like I sid, I think we have it solved-

#6 G10

G10

Fireman

• Valued Customer
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 05:05 PM

Or not-

Chip had e-mailed me saying he would burn a cd for me and I replied with my address. Well, 11 days later, nothing. So, one of three things probibly happened. Either he didn't recieve the e-mail, or he mailed the cd and it came back as undeliverable, or he mailed the cd and it's lost in the mail.

Anyway, what ever the problem is, it seems to be at this end. And on that note, my solution is to bag it. The BNSF motive set was going to be a birthday present for my niece but I ended up getting her something else.

In closing, I deleted all things "Dekosoft" for my computer and have gotten over it.

I wish you all, even you Chip, "Happy Highballin'"

#7 trainsim1

trainsim1

Conductor

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 12:45 AM

Try disabling virus scan if you have it, mine wouldn't install until I did.

#8 zhivago47

zhivago47

Operations Manager

• Invalid Email
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 04:39 AM

Well, it's a shame that you have uninstalled all things Dekosoft because of that. You know, we all have problems from time to time with anything that gets downloaded, no matter who it is from.....and relying on the USMail is like, well, I think we did better when the pony express delivered the mail. I am sure that it was just a fluke thing that happens to us all from time to time. All I can tell you is that Dekosoft is one of the best groups around here for their work ethic and their customer service. Chip will always go out of his way to find a cure to a problem, no matter what it is. I am sorry that you had to get your relative something else for their birthday, but I wouldn't let this one incident keep you from using some of the best equipment around.

Not every problem encountered with dealing with these groups is their doing, you know. Some of us just don't take the time to listen or ask the right questions to get help.

Am not saying that is the case here, but one bad apple don't spoil the entire crop! Taking all of their stuff off is your business, but really, you should have just done it and not posted it here. If you take a poll here and ask the rest of the members of this forum, I would be willing to bet that anyone who has ever had a problem with anything Chip and company has done, has been resolved to the buyer's satisfaction. And 99 percent of us would tell you that Dekosoft is one of the best groups we have in MSTS! cool.gif smile.gif smile.gif So, give it another thought. Sit down, count to ten and then think about it again! You are missing some great stuff by taking it all off!! smile.gif wink.gif

Tim H