Photo

St.L.& N.A.R.R. Time Table Activity

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 S. Weaver

S. Weaver

Dispatcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 02:41 PM

Several of you goaded me into sharing a North Arkansas activity with timetable train(s) in it. In order to give you a taste and a basis of comparison, I've modified one of Andre's activities (with his permission, of course), and am posting it here.

The read.me file in the zip folder is fairly self-explanatory and should guide you through. Our old friend J.D. Locke should also keep you from having a cornfield meet.

The activity requires the VSC North Arkansas Route and the DLW North Arkansas Equipment Pack. I have taken some pains to keep away from freeware "strays" and file conflicts. I hate those error messages as much as you do. If you encounter any problems, REPLY HERE! Don't bug Andre. I ran the activity a gazillion times too to perfect it, but with MSTS one never knows ...

I'm utilizing 1901 railroad protocol: Clearance Form "A", Form 19 Train Orders, etc. Fear not, you'll figure it out. "Jes' read them flimsies! Got that, Greenhorn?!"

Have fun!

Attached Files

#2 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 02:54 PM

Way to go Steve!

I'm gonna' have to find the time to enjoy your activity as well!

Say, if you enjoy this sort of thing, I can set up another forum for StLNA activities... and you (and others) can share your creations with all the troops!

Let me know!

#3 TomW

TomW

Dispatcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 05:32 PM

Steve:
Will give it a try, soon as I can . . .

#4 S. Weaver

S. Weaver

Dispatcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 06:09 PM

QUOTE(laming @ Sep 15 2005, 04:54 PM)
Say, if you enjoy this sort of thing, I can set up another forum for StLNA activities... and you (and others) can share your creations with all the troops!

Let's see how it goes ... if folks are in to it, and if the activities are relatively bug free. I don't have to tell you that it takes a lot of time to make them work ...

#5 TomW

TomW

Dispatcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 07:58 PM

I can certainly believe it takes time to debug 'em.
I've tried running a couple "development" Activities..
One of these days, I'm gonna try writing one . . I'll bet that'l be an enlightening experience!!

#6 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 10:58 PM

Hi Steve!

A pesky little bug bit you! Upon start up, the activity calls for the following car:

ESR_BoxCar4.wag

It can be found at Train-sim.com's File Library, look for:

esr_boxcar4.zip

Once unzipped, be sure to place the wag, s, sd, and ace from within the unzipped folder to the NA_RollStock folder within your MSTS TRAINSET folder.

Now... back to the Ozarks!

#7 HoJack

HoJack

Mechanic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 03:35 PM

Andre, I got the error message you mention but a search at Train-Sim.com library for esr_boxcar4.zip was without success. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

#8 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 03:50 PM

HoJack... you did? huh.gif

Hmm.... (patter patter patter... the sound of little cyber feet running off to T-S File Library...)

Ooops.

Make that esr_box4.zip.

Sorry 'bout that. blush.gif

See? Bugs, man, bugs. They creep in... can't even type right! dry.gif

#9 august1929

august1929

Railroad President

• Commercial Vendor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 03:50 PM

Try ESRBox.zip - I think that was what I uploaded it as - will go and check now

Yep - that is what it is under.

Interestingly enough, I used Conbuilder loose consist facility to swap the ESR boxcars out for Jon's.

Rodster

#10 HoJack

HoJack

Mechanic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 04:50 PM

Thanks guys, Rodster was right , it was esrbox.zip

#11 S. Weaver

S. Weaver

Dispatcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 02:13 AM

Ahhh ... That pesky ESR boxcar. I purged it from one of the consists but I probably had it in a siding somewhere too.

#12 august1929

august1929

Railroad President

• Commercial Vendor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 03:06 AM

Steve, only half way through just now, but I like what I see so far...like the idea of some passenger activities. Those coaches, mmh, mhhhh!

Rod

#13 S. Weaver

S. Weaver

Dispatcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 06:41 AM

QUOTE(august1929 @ Sep 17 2005, 05:06 AM)
Steve, only half way through just now, but I like what I see so far...like the idea of some passenger activities. Those coaches, mmh, mhhhh!

Yes. And when you see who's on the sharp end of No. 6 ... our beautiful DLW sewing machine - what Zach calls a "glorified teakettle", it makes it all worth it.

#14 HoJack

HoJack

Mechanic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 11:10 AM

Steve, I like it except for sitting on the siding waiting for the passenger train to pass. I was gonna run up to Fanny's and wet my whistle but wasn't sure I'd have time. Not only that, but my Buck knife was in my other pants pocket so I couldn't pass the time whittlin'. Sure was plenty of wood around to butcher.

Seriously, I found it very realistic and nice to see a passenger train on the route. Seligman yard looked great with the various rolling stock. I do have one question, what do I do with the XLS file?

Hope to see more of this ............................

John

#15 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 11:20 AM

HI HoJack:

Open the xls file and print it out... that's your timetable. If you would have had it, you would have known what time your scheduled train was to arrive. biggrin.gif

#16 HoJack

HoJack

Mechanic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 11:26 AM

Andre, darn, then I could of had a cold one. Thanks.

John

#17 S. Weaver

S. Weaver

Dispatcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 02:15 PM

QUOTE(HoJack @ Sep 17 2005, 01:10 PM)
Steve, I like it except for sitting on the siding waiting for the passenger train to pass ... Hope to see more of this ............................

Hah! That's the fate of the lowly extra waiting for the "varnish"! Glad you chose to wait ...

Some of the later ones I've drafted don't have any coaching by Sarge ... You have to look at the timetable and pick your siding in accordance with where you are, the work you have to do, etc. It's real railroadin'!

#18 EdavilleFan

EdavilleFan

Brakeman

• Valued Customer
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 02:30 PM

What do you open the xls file with?

I tried wordpad but couldn't read it, all squares and such.

Thanks for your help.

Bob blush.gif

#19 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 02:37 PM

If your machine has Microsoft "Works" installed as part of its software packages, open the xls with Works Spreadsheet. Once you navigate to where your StLNA xls is located, you'll need to use the "View All Files" option to see it. Double click on the StLNA timetable xls, hit print once the page opens, and there you go!

Steve: Sounds great on the future activities. Beware of that ESR boxcar, though. wink.gif

#20 S. Weaver

S. Weaver

Dispatcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 03:08 PM

QUOTE(laming @ Sep 17 2005, 04:37 PM)
Steve: Sounds great on the future activities. Beware of that ESR boxcar, though. wink.gif

Yeah, back when Rod told us about those pre-NAP turn-of-the-century cars, I downloaded them and have them sprinkled freely throughout various consists. I have to go back through the beta activities and purge them of all the foreign (unclean!) rolling stock. Plus the freebies don't have good Hobbs physics ...