Photo

Ozark Lines Progress 2

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
36 replies to this topic

#21 chripsch

chripsch

Engineer

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 12:42 AM

Hello Andre!

I just love you and your work! Great stuff you did!
It looks really great! I already imagine how it looks after the terrexwork
is done and the scene is poulated by people and animals... Great!

Keep on this way,

Christian

#22 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 06:13 AM

Ed... you sent me a PM?

Hmm.

(A lightbulb comes on.)

So THAT's what that little "pop up blocked" notice means sometimes when I go to this forum area on this new computer!! Duhhhhh.

You see, in the past I wasn't very good at remembering to check my Inbox here, so some time ago I activated the "Pop up" alert system available. Well, upon getting this new computer on line, it has within it a pop-up blocking program. Guess what it's been blocking?

Yup.

SOoooo... I went over to "My Controls" and into my Inbox, and lo... there are several PM's I need to answer.

To prevent this from happening again, I've activated the email notification system.

Sorry to all that have sent PM's that I have seemingly "ignored"... I will begin later today/tonight working my way through them until I'm caught up.

blink.gif

#23 zhilton

zhilton

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 06:19 PM

Coonskin was reported saying:
Sorry to all that have sent PM's that I have seemingly "ignored"... I will begin later today/tonight working my way through them until I'm caught up.

And here I though with the half dozen email groups I'm on...I was behind on reading and/or replying to emails. Glad to know I'm not the only one. laugh.gif

#24 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 10:15 PM

The Word "Barren"...

I'm now migrating to the zinc region. As a route builder, it's always the pits to head from one area that you've just roughed-in and is beginning to be pleasing to the eye... only to look at the next area that's as bare as a baboon's behind... and about as appealing!

Thought you faithfuls might enjoy seeing the progress of an area over the next few nights or so.

As evidence of the word "barren", I offer the pic below of the zinc mine scene at the end of the equally barren zinc spur. On this lengthy spur will be at least two zinc mines, possibly three. This pic illustrates what you start with: Nothing.

Note the structure elements are barely begun to be constructed. Right now I'm sizing and experimenting with structure placements, as well as getting a feel for how many unbuilt structures it's going to take to populate the scene to a "detailed" level. And of course, there's always vegetation that will need to be placed.

Emptiness like this is why us route idiots have to bite this stuff off in small chunks... otherwise it gets to be overwhelming. blink.gif

However, on the upside, I think the topography here is pretty nifty and the view down in the hollow when in the engine is pretty cool.

Well... all for tonight. I'm off to bed soon.

Oh, BTW, forgot to tell you... those rails are on a 4.19% DESCENDING grade. You'll be taking loads of zinc DOWNHILL. In fact, if you don't plan your switch moves, know your tonnages, and utilize handbrakes carefully... you'll go careening to the bottom and crash and burn. ohmy.gif

"LOOK OUT belooooooooooooww".... (as you pile your train up at the Zinc City wye! biggrin.gif )

Diesels, smeasles... railroading in the 1890's was no walk in the park, you know. smile.gif

Attached Files

#25 zhilton

zhilton

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 02:43 AM

Diesels, smeasles...

They might be "colorful boxcars"....but they sure will pull! laugh.gif Besides you don't get as dirty working...like a 5 year old in a sandbox. laugh.gif

#26 scottb613

scottb613

Engineer

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 05:05 AM

All,

Load 16 tons and what d'ya get...

Mining - woohoo... Looking good Andre...

How about "Ming Mining" ???
tongue.gif

Regards,
Scott

#27 chripsch

chripsch

Engineer

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 07:50 AM

Hi Andre!

Can`t wait to start shipping the Zinc away biggrin.gif the steeper the grades the more I like it! wink.gif
Looking forward for the next mines-pic wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif

Christian

#28 saddletank

saddletank

Station Clerk

• Valued Customer
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 01:09 PM

Andre, you're a very brave man attempting the 1890s lumber industry. Now if ever there was a dirty, messy lineside industry the production and haulage of lumber in the USA was it. The big stacking and drying grounds could have sawn timber piled yea high and the whole scene a mass of detail and clutter. I take my hat off to you if you are going to have a stab at reproducing the feel of that environment.

#29 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 01:25 PM

> Andre, you're a very brave man attempting the 1890s lumber industry... (snip: early US lumber
> industry = clutter galore).... I take my hat off to you if you are going to have a stab at reproducing
> the feel of that environment.

Well, once released, I'm sure there will be critiqueing of how well I did/or didn't do it, that's part of the price of braving to release a product. (sigh) rolleyes.gif

Granted, there are very real limitations with any program as graphic intensive as this one, but I'm going to give it a gung-ho shot.

Bear in mind, though, that IMHO, one of the great things about MSTS is: It's my world.

I can emphasize or downplay what I want. I have no intention of trying to accurately portray the outright hardship that miners and lumbermen faced "back then", but instead I expect I will romanticize the best parts and minimize/ignore the bad.

My main goal will be to capture a "feel" for the era, and preserve what parts of history of the region that are homogoneous to my criteria for a VSC MSTS product: A product that is appealing to the eye, and most of all, FUN.

This is, after all, only a game.

Have fun!

#30 august1929

august1929

Railroad President

• Commercial Vendor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 01:36 PM

This is, after all, only a game

Surprising how many out here forget that sad.gif - manifests itself in certain other places where it seems folks just can't stay civil to each other.

However the lumber industries comes out on the Ozark, I am sure they will be fun to switch and view (more photo opportunities)

Rodster

#31 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 02:49 PM

Ah, but with lumber mills roughed-in and awaiting terrtex/details... for now I'm working on the emptiness that will become The Zinc Mine Region (ta-DUM-DUM! i.e. dramatic music inserted here).

Worked in amidst other things today, I have tinkered in TSM/RE and below is the result. Little has changed in RE, but quite a bit is changing in TSM. Windows, doors, roofs, etc, are being added to existing models, as well as new buildings being created.

Here's a lil' pic...

Attached Files

#32 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 02:51 PM

Did I mention how agonizingly slow it is to build the items for a scene, then create the scene? blink.gif

Well, here's a closer look at the powerhouse for one of the zinc mines. Obviously, windows, doors, and other details need to be added... but you get the idea.

Did I mention how agonizingly slow it is to build the items for a scene, then create the scene? blink.gif

I did? Oh. rolleyes.gif

Guess I'm getting a bit shell shocked... blink.gif blink.gif

Attached Files

#33 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 10:51 PM

I Zinc I'm Going Nuts... blink.gif

However, inch by inch... (yup, that saying again rolleyes.gif ) it's a CINCH!

Was in the sim checking some things, took a quick run up the end of the zinc spur... still much to do.

However, here's a couple pics...

Attached Files

#34 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 10:53 PM

An' a'nutter...

All for now.

Attached Files

#35 chripsch

chripsch

Engineer

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 01:24 AM

Cool pics Andre!

Let me aboard Ozark-Northern No 1 and switch around the gondolas to be filled with Zinc-ore! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
It just looks cool! cool.gif

But don`t forget to place some workers, some piles of Zinc an smoking chimneys wink.gif

Keep on this way,

Christian

#36 august1929

august1929

Railroad President

• Commercial Vendor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 09:08 AM

Looking good Andre - plenty of operating interest in this line - none of your start at the start, drive a bit, fall asleep, wake up at the end routes here.

Interest, interest, interest all along the way.

I just love spurs off routes that really do something (like Berryville on the A&O & NoArk) - not just some indeterminate feeder to a main line.

This is going to be the hum-dinger of all hum-dingers (when you finally get there biggrin.gif )

Rodster.

#37 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 10:22 AM

Thanks all.

Christian: Keep in mind there is still MUCH to do, so don't think the barren look will be the finished look. Hey, I don't model the desert areas! biggrin.gif

As for workers: I expect to. Tailings: Absolutely. Smoke: Perhaps.

Rod:

I KNOW what you mean on the "asleep" part. I have routes installed (both freeware and payware ) that I've never been able to stay with long enough to even get from end to end ONCE. (I can't for the life of me understand why someone would actually WANT to run 150+ miles in this sim. blink.gif )

The zinc spur will not be on the magnitude of the Berryville Branch, but there will definitely be work to do up that "holler". I suspect the spur is about 1 mile long or longer. At this point, there will be at least 3 zinc mines that will producing several carloads per day. Given the grades, the tight confines of the hollow (that restricted track possibilities), it is going to be a booger bear to switch. I can't wait!

Well... all for now.