Photo

Ozark Lines Progress 2

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
36 replies to this topic

#1 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 11:23 PM

The other thread is getting looooong. SO... thought I'd start another.

About ready to hit the sack for the night. However, thought I'd put up a quick pic from RE of an effect I'm working on. Still some color tweaking to do. What you're looking at is a log pond dam, the pond of which, will be used by a large lumber mill. The track is the spur that serves the mill.

Whew. I'm goin' to bed. blink.gif

Attached Files

#2 TomW

TomW

Dispatcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 07:09 AM

Neat!
There's something "right" about a wood trestle, and a water color/texture looks good
Lookin' forward to seeing the sawmill. biggrin.gif

#3 saddletank

saddletank

Station Clerk

• Valued Customer
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 10:59 AM

Nice - I take it this effect is achieved at a subtile boundary with different watersurface levels.

I've no experience of lumber mill logdams but would the water have been quite churned up and so more brown than blue?

#4 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 11:20 AM

Martin mused...

"...I take it this effect is achieved at a subtile boundary with different watersurface levels."

Nope. The water effect in MSTS is essentially useless for mountainous regions, or any area where there is significant fall in the terrain's valley floors. You're looking at modeled water.

"I've no experience of lumber mill logdams but would the water have been quite churned up and so more brown than blue?"

Quoting from my original post...

"Still some color tweaking to do." biggrin.gif

I will be adjusting the water color some, but I'm not going to make it too sludgy. Scenically, I would prefer things to look a bit nicer than they did in real life. smile.gif

This entire scene/effort is a "freebie" for you guys. cool.gif

You see, after backing off and looking at Turners Bend, I felt it needed more "reason" for the attraction of the railroads into the region, so I am building a large sawmill at this location. This, in conjunction with two other large industries that will be on the connecting lines, justifies more "plausibility" within my modeling psyche. blink.gif

#5 august1929

august1929

Railroad President

• Commercial Vendor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 12:55 PM

Andre, if this goes on too long, V Scale's loyal adherents will have to invest in a thesaurus in order to start producing some different superlatives.

Of course I could just fall back on the traditional and familiar vocabulary of an upper class English gent (none of which am I - I hastily add):

" I say old chap, deshed fine mill dem you have there, what? rolleyes.gif "

Or, West Country (England, not America);

"Yerr, thas'm foin dam youve'm built there m'dear. Bi'thee goin' ter put any vish in there soas'm c'n get zum vishin' dun? Yes'm, oim parshall t' a bitt'er vish ona vriday..." blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif (rather ragged gent wanders off into field with large jar of cider in tow...).

Looking forward to that mill.

Rodster

#6 zhilton

zhilton

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 02:58 PM

"Yerr, thas'm foin dam youve'm built there m'dear. Bi'thee goin' ter put any vish in there soas'm c'n get zum vishin' dun? Yes'm, oim parshall t' a bitt'er vish ona vriday..."

huh.gif What did he say?? huh.gif unsure.gif

#7 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 09:05 PM

Still workin' on that sawmill scene. Got the main buildings finished, have the water in place, trees, the log lift, and chip conveyor, sawdust, lumber stacks, etc, in place. Still some odds and ends to make for it. Much more involved than first expected... as usual!

It will be a fun place to switch, however, so it will be worth it.

While in the sim looking some things over, I took a quick shot of yet another of the Ozark Northern's engines. Here's No. 5. (Please overlook the cursor that sneaked in. dry.gif )

Attached Files

• Attached File  No5a.jpg   235.81KB   0 downloads

#8 chripsch

chripsch

Engineer

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 04:15 AM

Hi Andre,

nice nice river to cross with your nice-nice loco biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
Looks simply great!

News about the animals?!

Best regards Christian

#9 copperpen

copperpen

Stationmaster

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 12:41 PM

QUOTE(zhilton @ Sep 11 2005, 01:58 PM)
"Yerr, thas'm foin dam youve'm built there m'dear. Bi'thee goin' ter put any vish in there soas'm c'n get zum vishin' dun? Yes'm, oim parshall t' a bitt'er vish ona vriday..."

huh.gif What did he say?? huh.gif unsure.gif

Translation

Yes, that's a fine dam you have built there. Are you going to put any fish in there so as I can get some fishing done. I am partial to a bit of fish on a Friday.

Mervyn

#10 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 12:46 PM

And who's the smarty pants that says we Hillbilies are the only one's that know how to slaughter the English language??? laugh.gif

Wow... that's a dialect!

#11 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 12:51 PM

Since this is the first Monday in months that I've not been railroading, I've been doing some RE/TSM work. Mainly, just building some time-consuming tidbits that some of you will probably never notice. biggrin.gif

Also, I've finished roughing-in the sawmills on the route. Below is a pic of the basic elements in place to represent Phipps Lumber Co. at St. Paul. Actual history says the Phipps mill at St. Paul was one of the largest of the region "back when".

Again, no terrtex work has begun. Expect all terrtex seen in all the pics to date to change.

Attached Files

#12 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 01:31 PM

I also think I can now declare St. Paul to be "roughed in" as well. Still will need details and terrtex work.

Anyhoo, here's a pic of it...

Attached Files

#13 august1929

august1929

Railroad President

• Commercial Vendor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 02:23 PM

Translation

Thanks Mervyn - I couldn't remember what I had written blink.gif blush.gif blink.gif

Andre, yep, there are parts of the West Country where, when I was a lad, you could speak in a totally different language that bore little resemblence to English.

Back on thread, really like that mill - if you keep this up, then this is going to be one amazing route for bespoke buildings. V Scale at its best.

As a young lad, when I had my own model railway, my favourite part was the saw mill (I mentioned in another thread the mill buildings my father made out of balsa wood). It didn't have much switching (shunting) possibilities though, just being a dead end spur off the main line - but I loved it. Looking forward to being able to switch the "real" thing.

Rodster

#14 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 03:14 PM

Thanks Rod for the kudo's on the sawmills... there'll be LOTS of them to switch on this route, small ones, medium ones, and large ones (by 1890's standards). biggrin.gif

I'm on a roll today... just completed this to be located at St. Paul's wye:

Attached Files

#15 S. Weaver

S. Weaver

Dispatcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 03:40 PM

QUOTE(laming @ Sep 12 2005, 05:14 PM)
I'm on a roll today... just completed this to be located at St. Paul's wye:

Great! Looks like St. Paul's has an autumn stock rush in addition to the lumber ...

#16 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 03:43 PM

Hi Steve:

I got that idea from a prototype picture of an 1890's derailed Frisco St. Paul Branch train. There in the pic were stock cars. Knowing that the prototype St. Paul Branch was a captive branch (i.e. no eastern connection), I knew those cars had to be used on the branch itself. Conclusion: The significant towns along the prototype had stock pens.

#17 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 03:57 PM

Another of the sawmills I've got roughed-in. This is Mulberry Lumber Company... situated on the banks of the Mulberry River.

BTW, as a lad, I used to drive a semi hauling lumber/pallets for the prototype Mulberry Lumber Company! (Located at Mulberry, Arkansas.)

Edit: BTW2; There are now stockpens to serve at each end of the Ozark Northern!

Attached Files

#18 august1929

august1929

Railroad President

• Commercial Vendor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 09:02 PM

Knowing (roughly) what the track layout is going to be for this hum-dinger of a route, and seeing all the little gems that you are putting together Andre, this is surely going to be a real treat to explore for the first time.

Maybe I am leading too much of a sheltered life just now rolleyes.gif , but I can already sense the thrill of coming round a curve and seeing, well say, the Mulberry Lumber Co. just ahead of me, or topping the climb to Fly Gap and coming through the gap.

Reminds me of the enjoyment that used to be got from getting down to baseboard level and peering through some trees at a favourite scene while the engine rolled across, like on a stage. Excellent.

Master scene setter U R - keep on that roll biggrin.gif

Rod

#19 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 09:51 PM

Thanks Rod.

I'm really enjoying creating the atmosphere of the 1890's. When I run on the Ozark Northern, it is like no route I've operated on to date, including the StLNA. Though there is reuse of some structures that are on the StLNA, for the most part they are used in the distance as "filler" pieces, and as such, aren't that noticable. Or, they have been reskinned with upgraded textures and therefore aren't readily recognized.

However, I'm building a ton of new stuff for this route. I expect I still have another depot or two that I'll want to build for the ON. Upgrading/retexturing the one depot model I've carried over from the StLNA has made the model unique to itself in appearance.

Below you will find a pic of another new depot, this one built for the town of "Mt. Airy".

Mt. Airy is little more than a glorified passing track on the side of a mountain, and it is such a small hole-in-the-wall town that a standard-sized depot just didn't look right there. So, this is the result. Mt. Airy's only claim to existance is the small mine w/spur that is located there. However, this is the 1890's... towns were springing up everywhere, each with the dream of becoming a going concern. Who could know the future?

Attached Files

#20 Hawk

Hawk

Yardmaster

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 12:03 AM

You've got some nice work going on there Andre. Your modeling skills are definitely top level.
BTW! You have a PM that I sent you last Friday. I reckon you never check there. laugh.gif