Photo

Ozark Lines Progress

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
104 replies to this topic

#21 ssw_96

ssw_96

Stationmaster

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 06:53 AM

What era will this route be based on? It looks good nonethe less

#22 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 07:01 AM

Hi Chad! Good to see you here. Hope you and that boy of yours are doing well.

What era, eh?

Okay... given that you really dig diesels cool.gif ... are you sitting down?

The era is: 1890's (And early 1890's at that!) ohmy.gif

Yup.

I know, I'm insane. blink.gif

But... it's what I enjoy creating. rolleyes.gif

Andre

#23 copperpen

copperpen

Stationmaster

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 01:37 PM

QUOTE(laming @ Aug 5 2005, 12:18 PM)
> Cats! It has an order board!

Non-operative, I'm afraid.  I always felt order boards were conspicuous by their absence on the StLNA.  I didn't want them in place if they didn't operate. However, I think they add so much to the aura, I decided to go ahead and go with them, even if they're only cosmetic.

Just a thought Andre. Could the order board be made as a separate part in the style of a semaphore, and activated like a signal by the train.

Mervyn

#24 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 02:12 PM

Hi Mervyn!

Wayne Campbell and I had a similar conversation some time ago on another route I was working on at the time. The idea was kicked around about how to make the train order boards active and functional.

We never really solved, and thus applied, some of the complications we anticipated.

Please feel free to email me your thinking along this line.

laming@clnk.com

#25 ssw_96

ssw_96

Stationmaster

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 05:05 PM

QUOTE(laming @ Aug 9 2005, 07:01 AM)
Hi Chad! Good to see you here. Hope you and that boy of yours are doing well.

What era, eh?

Okay... given that you really dig diesels cool.gif ... are you sitting down?

The era is: 1890's (And early 1890's at that!) ohmy.gif

Yup.

I know, I'm insane. blink.gif

But... it's what I enjoy creating. rolleyes.gif

Andre

We are all well and we hope that you and yous are doing the same also. Aw shuck big nasty steam engines. Nonetheless looking good and it will have a home on my cpu.

#26 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 09:30 PM

"Aw shuck big nasty steam engines.."

Nah... small CLEAN steam engines. It's the 1890's, 'ya know. biggrin.gif

FWIW to all:

Man, everytime I sit down to create textures and crank out some buildings, I get slapped in the face again with how much time it takes to do the textures.

Going through my collection of photos I've taken over the years, I was able to glean a few that could be used with a LOT of doctoring. (Perspective corrections, squaring, removing extraneous "noise", etc, etc, etc, blink.gif ) After scanning, I got busy in my paint program and TSM.

Below is a composite pic that comprises the whole sum total of a complete evening dry.gif in TSM and my paintshop...

Attached Files

#27 chripsch

chripsch

Engineer

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 02:41 AM

Hi Andre!

Nice houses! Seems you`re on your personal terrain again biggrin.gif
Well and about two houses a day don`t worry! My average output
for the narrow gauge is equally. wink.gif

You`re working with patience and love on them - that shows already
the quality of your houses!

Keep on this way!

Best regards,

Christian

#28 boundy

boundy

Stationmaster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 05:07 AM

Got any of these for rent? I'm ready to move.

#29 S. Weaver

S. Weaver

Dispatcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 07:12 AM

QUOTE(laming @ Aug 9 2005, 11:30 PM)
Below is a composite pic that comprises the whole sum total of a complete evening dry.gif in TSM and my paintshop...

Shucks, man! You needn't repent. Those structures are beautiful!

#30 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 10:17 AM

Thanks for the input.

Here's a modification to one of the models seen above. Enough different to be different, but was able add the texture modifications and new parts much quicker than creating the original first version. Doing this with a model helps to get maximum TSM mileage this way.

Structure wise, my hope is to do a good job of capturing "the look" of the 1890's structures.

Bear in mind that I haven't tackled the terrtex patches yet, so what you see won't be what you get in that realm. (That terrtex is a KUJU terrtex.)

Attached Files

#31 scottb613

scottb613

Engineer

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 09:42 AM

Hi all...

You have my attention - once again - sir...
smile.gif

Regards,
Scott

#32 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 12:34 PM

Scott:

I think it will be a cool little route, very unique.

All:

No updates to report, been very busy past couple days/evenings.

Today I have been installing and switching over to the other computer. It's a royal pain.

Upside: Early indications are that I have more than doubled my FPS, and that's with running my resolution up to something like 13?? x ?? x 32 bit.

In the process now of transferring my current MSTS projects from the old machine to this one.

#33 scottb613

scottb613

Engineer

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 01:46 PM

Andre,

Really good to hear you are back in the route building business... Things have been a bit stale around MSTS - for me - lately... I never really had any interest in the "Iron Horse" era - prior to trying your North Arkansas... Now this era seems to hold the most fasination for me... Those little engines - short trains - with the rolling hills of the Ozarks really captures my imagination... I would love to have another route from the era - and - I am very happy that your just the guy doing it... Sounds - pleeeaaase... smile.gif

Just a suggestion on your CM rolling stock... While the purists might object - any shot of slapping an alternate label on these units - something a bit more suitable to the Ozarks ??? I like the package - but - I have always disliked not having an appropriate route to run on... Kinda like a NYC F-Unit running the Cajon Pass... My nickels worth...

Looking forward to more shots of your work...

Regards,
Scott

#34 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 05:07 PM

> Really good to hear you are back in the route building business...

Well, this time around I'm trying to pace myself at it more efficiently.

Case in point: Most of yesterday, all of last night, and some of this morning, I've been beating my brains out trying to get all the programs I need installed and functional on this new machine. Looks like my old scanner won't communicate with this new system, so now I've got to replace it. I'm so weary with fighting this since yesterday that I'm going to kick back and play trains tonight with MSTS. (Imagine that.)

> Things have been a bit stale around MSTS - for me - lately... I never really had any interest in
> the "Iron Horse" era - prior to trying your North Arkansas... Now this era seems to hold the
> most fasination for me...

It does that! Way "back when", upon my first "discovery" of that era, the more I learned about it, the more captivating it became! I was going to leave diesels and model it via model railroading, but sort of drifted away from model railroading for a few years, and now almost completely out of it with the advent of MSTS into my picture.

> Those little engines - short trains - with the rolling hills of the Ozarks really captures my imagination...

Forget the rolling hills for the next one. biggrin.gif We're talking significant mountains this time around. How about 8 miles of 4% grade? blink.gif

> Just a suggestion on your CM rolling stock... While the purists might object - any shot of slapping an
> alternate label on these units - something a bit more suitable to the Ozarks ???

Hmmm. Will give it some thought.

> Looking forward to more shots of your work...

As there will be, I'm sure. Once I get all the last foibles ironed out on this new machine, I will resume work on it. I HATE switching to a new computer... literally hate it. (This is why I've procrastinated this for as long as I did!!)

#35 wmghobbs

wmghobbs

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 08:34 AM

I think relettering would not be a bad idea. Those locomotives are pretty much standard Baldwin catalog designs and hence very generic. They might have been found on shortlines around the country, including Arkansas.

Bill Hobbs

#36 chripsch

chripsch

Engineer

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 09:37 AM

Hi Andre!

Hope changing your PC didn`t cause trouble! 8 Miles of 4% grades listens great! biggrin.gif
In the case of relettering I am joining Bill and Scott.
The CM-Stock is nice but it would create a better atmosphere having our own equipment
on the Ozark Northern.
I think you`ll create us very fine Ozark-Northern rolling stuff wink.gif
As I am riding on the 22nd A&O Sub act I am hungry for new stuff to run biggrin.gif

Best regards,

Christian

#37 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 05:02 PM

Relettered CM stock:

At this point, there are no plans to offer relettered options within the CM Pack. Each DLW pack will be specific to the railroad in portrays and as historically accurate as can be determined.

However, all is not lost. There WILL be engines for the Ozark Lines routes that will be as accurate as we can extrapolate from the known locomotive data for the region during the target era. Plus, we intend to include prototoype-specific locomotives (in its correct livery) for the region to use on an Ozark Lines route as leased/loaned power. (Which was done during that era, as is done today.)

Data we have already amassed indicates there will be similar locomotives to the CM equipment (as Bill mentioned above), but there will be visual differences. That was the nature of steam.

The end result will be a selection of Jon Davis Masterpieces that will each be different... wouldn't that be better than relettered CM stuff? biggrin.gif

Christian:

> Hope changing your PC didn`t cause trouble!

It did. My old flat bed scanner won't communicate via the newer version of TWAIN.dll. Therefore, I have had to purchase a new scanner and will install it soon. I need a scanner as a means to digitize my collection of photos that contain usable textures.

> 8 Miles of 4% grades listens great!

Trust me: It's fun to slug up that grade with a Jon Davis engine and Stuart Williams sounds!

> I think you`ll create us very fine Ozark-Northern rolling stuff

I only help with the data gathering, testing, and sometimes some texturing, but not much texturing. The actual model and basic texturing is all Jon Davis. The physics are the work of Bill Hobbs, I just test and give input and/or make some changes in regards to naming convention, etc.

> As I am riding on the 22nd A&O Sub act I am hungry for new stuff to run

You're about done!

#38 S. Weaver

S. Weaver

Dispatcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 05:29 PM

QUOTE(laming @ Aug 13 2005, 07:02 PM)
Trust me: It's fun to slug up that grade with a Jon Davis engine and Stuart Williams sounds!

And that reminds me of something ... Tuesday, I was testing two TOC flats behind a 1907 boxcar that I had cut into our second timetable train to see how they'd do before loading circus equipment on them. They had been sitting for a while and I was a little concerned how they would do at track speed. (Hot boxes are no fun!)

Anyway, I was sitting there listening to the sounds made by these flats and the boxcar. It goes without saying that they had nothing in common with the KUJU welded rail, cut lever squeak that comes with most .wag files. Is Stuart or anybody out there interested in reproducing the rumble and click of wooden cars with cast iron wheels on jointed rail?

The DLW locomotive sounds have been polished to a fare thee well. It seems a shame to pair them with KUJU squeak and welded rail ...

Just a thought for the creative ...

P.S. I'll cooperate anyway I can, but I don't know the first thing about making sound files.

#39 chripsch

chripsch

Engineer

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 01:58 PM

Hi Andre!

I trust you and even better: I look forward to beat the grades biggrin.gif I can`t even wait for them!!!!
With the PC don`t worry it seems that they `re liking it making troubles for us wink.gif
So: don`t let your new PC win ph34r.gif

Well: On the A&O I am about done... Yeah a wet summer makes me running many miles on virtual tracks.
It rains often and we`ve rarly more than 15° C this summer. I am thinking to switch to boat-simulations wink.gif
So I am about done very soon, I think. biggrin.gif
Well, but I am still having some St.L&NA acts in my backhand.
Today I created an act for Wayne Campbells London & Port Stanley RY. Great route! Its a candian electric interurban in the style of the twenties with Tin Lizzies running around...
If you want to give her a look: http://www.lnps.info
It shortens the time until your Ozarks-Northern will get me back to the Ozarks - beating steep grades biggrin.gif
Its great that the ON gets her own equip!

Best regards from the german deluge,

Christian

#40 chripsch

chripsch

Engineer

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 06:57 AM

Hi Andre!

A bit silent at your thread - hope verything is well with you smile.gif Something news about the Ozark-Northern?
We in Germany are enjoing an really rainy cold summer with lots of time to ride on the virtual rails.
Best regards,

Christian