Photo

3D Trains

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 atc252

atc252

Railfan

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 July 2005 - 12:32 PM

I believe since 3dtrains can make beautiful desiels, why can't they make steam engines? I think making steam engines would boost thier profits, i would buy a disc with steam locos myself. Also, i think they need to keep up with the compitetion, by making thier own route, real or fictional. But i'd love to see 3dtrains put out a route.

#2 Bananarama

Bananarama

The Big Kahuna

• 3DTrains Admin
  • 8,104 posts

Posted 17 July 2005 - 12:51 PM

Steam takes time, plus my own interests are in diesels. I may, however, do some steam later on when the time's right.

As for routes, we have four in various stages of development:
  • CSX Mountain Sub
  • Interstate RR
  • LTV/Erie Mining II
  • Western Pacific Feather River
smile.gif

Cheers!
Marc

#3 jbt1024

jbt1024

Superintendent

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 17 July 2005 - 01:33 PM

Yay, I can't wait for Marc to do a steam engine, its gonna be awesome tongue.gif

Thanks,
Jonathan

#4 sstyrnol

sstyrnol

Santa Fe Nut

• Beta Tester
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 17 July 2005 - 01:39 PM

I first of all would like to see one of those 3Dtrains routes. Being able to beta-test them is a great favor, however it makes me even more curious as to how they'll look and feel like when finished... smile.gif

#5 shawnbecher

shawnbecher

Engineer

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 17 July 2005 - 02:03 PM

I am patiently awaiting the LTV II. I bought the first one, and at one point I was about to start rebuilding it, but then I saw that Marc was on the job, so I am holding off - unless I finish my route first. Then I might start in on it smile.gif

#6 Guest_StaticXfan_*

Guest_StaticXfan_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2005 - 03:16 PM

I am sad to say I have nothing from 3dtrains, All looks really good though, as for the Routes, I will be sure to get the CSXT Mountain Sub route.
Now if Marc did up some B&M, MEC, BAR or Early Guilford locomotives, I would sure get them! tongue.gif

#7 homefix213

homefix213

Brakeman

• Valued Customer
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 17 July 2005 - 07:20 PM

QUOTE(shawnbecher @ Jul 17 2005, 05:03 PM)
I am patiently awaiting the LTV II.  I bought the first one, and at one point I was about to start rebuilding it, but then I saw that Marc was on the job, so I am holding off - unless I finish my route first.  Then I might start in on it smile.gif

I've actually redone almost all the Loco's and Rolling Stock in LTV, I replaced the Alcos with reskin's of Jan Henning Gettkant's nice Alco's and the other loco's with repaints of Dekosoft unit's. The F9's I added a bit of detail & created some 1024 texture files but Marc did a great job on those even in the original and I've never used a different F or E Unit cabview ever since (about 4 years!) as those are Marc's as well only a realistic & very "cool" aged & "beat-up" looking version. I was going to give the route itself a "go" but have very limited route building skills or experience at all as yet! I wonder if Marc's LTV II is going to be a totally new route or an "enhancement" for those of us who purchased the original? biggrin.gif

#8 raiderjp

raiderjp

Yardmaster

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 17 July 2005 - 07:29 PM

I've never heard of LTV 1. Where can I get it?

#9 ckawahara

ckawahara

Conductor

• Beta Tester
  • 334 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 07:59 AM

QUOTE(raiderjp @ Jul 17 2005, 07:29 PM)
I've never heard of LTV 1. Where can I get it?

http://trainsimulato...atalog/s467.htm

#10 raiderjp

raiderjp

Yardmaster

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 09:50 AM

Thanks. That route needs scale rail! I now underatand why Marc is doing that route.

#11 ckawahara

ckawahara

Conductor

• Beta Tester
  • 334 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 09:54 AM

QUOTE(raiderjp @ Jul 18 2005, 09:50 AM)
I now underatand why Marc is doing that route.

Of course we must not forget Lonnie!! Tis his project.

wink.gif

#12 raiderjp

raiderjp

Yardmaster

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 10:22 AM

Default MSTS track... it freaks me out

#13 SAR704

SAR704

Dispatcher

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 12:48 AM

The lack of dynamic track with SR annoys me big time.

I'm starting to regret not doing my research and laying a single track line for 80 or so kms before realising it was double track all the way (duplicating a single track line without dynamic will really get you pulling your hair out).

But neverless it is much easier to build with and understand than UKFS

#14 sstyrnol

sstyrnol

Santa Fe Nut

• Beta Tester
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 02:06 AM

Well, when there is a decent track texture than KUJU'nk track is okay... What really ticks me off is when I have some freeware route and the creator was too lazy to put in a decent one or did a lousy job with it...

Either way it is my understanding that UKFS is trying to replicate the typical track layout of British railways, so in regards to track spacing and point geometry it is not suitable for US-style railroads... smile.gif

#15 Bananarama

Bananarama

The Big Kahuna

• 3DTrains Admin
  • 8,104 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 03:23 AM

QUOTE(SAR704 @ Jul 18 2005, 11:48 PM)
I'm starting to regret not doing my research and laying a single track line for 80 or so kms before realising it was double track all the way (duplicating a single track line without dynamic will really get you pulling your hair out).

Use the SR_XtCrv* sections for the inside and outside curves (from inside to outside in order: A, B, <existing track radius>, D, E), and basic double-track along the straight sections. For what you mentioned above, you should only need the immediate inside (B) and outside (D) sections.

Most of the ScaleRail curves have an XtCrv equivalent (both concrete and wood ties, in 20m, 10m, 5m, and 1m lengths), and are designed to allow you to add the second track (or 3rd or 4th) without too much issue. There's a few extra sections that will be made available for the next build, but most should be in there already. smile.gif

Cheers!
Marc

#16 Guest_StaticXfan_*

Guest_StaticXfan_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2005 - 07:35 AM

I am actually going to use Scalerail instead of x-tracks in my next route creation.

#17 mjs2101

mjs2101

Engineer

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 04:34 PM

I am waiting for the Interstate RR! I guess the CSX Mountain Sub has gotten the highball, so IRR is on the siding for the time being. sad.gif

Will be interesting to see how LTV II turns out. I was looking to get that at one time, but after hearing it was similar to the default Marias Pass (track and grade wise) and was not DEM'd, figured sooner or later someone would redue it properly with all the great tools that have come out to help make route building a little easier. blink.gif

As for steam, I think Marc would be better off waiting for TMTS so that he can continue with high detailed models without taking too large a hit in the fps.

Mykel