Photo

Need An Assist...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
42 replies to this topic

#1 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 06:36 PM

Received this from a customer... I don't use these programs, can some of you help him out? Thanks. Andre

ok, I have the (NA) pack, but I can't get anything into an activity. I
tried using Activity master and it just fails to switch the locomotives out.
Other locomotives switch just fine, don't know if it is the route, the
activity master or the loco pack. I even tried using route riter, it won't
subsitute anything either. Any ideas?

#2 Gixxer86

Gixxer86

Stationmaster

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 02:54 AM

I would have thought that I would have at least heard of Activity Master.I would suggest using Conbuilder.

#3 TomW

TomW

Dispatcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 06:06 AM

I have replaced equipment from the NA Pack into StL&NA Activities using both ActivityMaster and ConBuiilder.

ActivityMaster may be a bit easier to use in the long run, but it does require some "setup" to group the cars.
I was too impatient to do the setup and AM substituted modern freight cars into the old StL&NA.
Had no problem swapping locos.

I've been using ConBuilder to substitute the NAPack equipment into the StL&NA activities.
It allows you to substitute one car at a time into each Consist
Even substituted some non-NAPack T-O-C freight cars (sorry, Andre) into Activities.

Either AM or CB works; AM does a random replacement of cars, while CB allows me to pick which
car to substitute, so I prefer using CB in this case.

HTH

#4 sevenbrewer

sevenbrewer

Porter

• Valued Customer
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 03:18 PM

Well I be the guy who can't get NA into any activity.

I don't know what is wrong. I have reinstalled the NA pack several times and I can see the loco and car files on the drive, but Activity Master can't seem to find them. Con Builder tells me I am saving replaced equipment over the old files, but guess what....nothing is changed in the activity. I tried Route Riter and it sees the locos and cars, but doesn't replace anything. This is very frustrating to say the least. I think I have run out of cuss words, so if you can at least provide some new ones for me to use......

Thanks if you can help, and thanks for trying.

#5 sevenbrewer

sevenbrewer

Porter

• Valued Customer
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 04:05 PM

for some reason, activity master sees all the new equipment as having 'bar' couplers. Route Riter sees them all as automatic. The MSTS editor shows them as having both! what is right? I think it may be the cause of my problems. I find it hard to believe I am the only one who this has happened to.

#6 TomW

TomW

Dispatcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 08:31 PM

I've been using ConBuilder to insert the NAPack but I'll see if I can replicate your problem.

Have you tried e-mailing Steve Davis at Skyline Computing with this problem.
I've found him to be very helpful

#7 Gixxer86

Gixxer86

Stationmaster

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 02:15 AM

Sevenbrewer,do you have this problem with any other rolling stock?

#8 Gixxer86

Gixxer86

Stationmaster

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 02:20 AM

Activity Master looks like a useful program.Here's the link to the .pdf manual. Maybe you missed something. http://www.skylineco...ivityMaster.pdf

#9 august1929

august1929

Railroad President

• Commercial Vendor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 10:03 AM

Try this swapped out activity - it definitely works on my set-up. Load it and see what error messages you get (unzip to a temp folder and make a note of what you are loading so you can back up the original files and in case you have to delete it).

Let us know if there are any error messages, and what they are.

BTW are you using Train Store?

Rod

http://www.3dtrains....e=post&id=55213

#10 sevenbrewer

sevenbrewer

Porter

• Valued Customer
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 10:01 PM

Well, that activity works fine thank you! But I still can't substitute on other activities. I am using train store, but I unstored everything and it makes no difference.

#11 august1929

august1929

Railroad President

• Commercial Vendor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 11:21 AM

Glad that one worked - Andre has swapped out another - have a look below.

http://www.3dtrains....e=post&id=55737

I have had a problem from time to time with Conbuilder consists not being recognised - this was, I think, because the name I gave was too long. Have you tried using the sim's AE to swap stock - with that you are restricted to very short names - could this be the problem?

Just out of interest, are you swapping out consists that came with the route, and if not, have you put the extra consists into the route's explore consists in Train Store and saved them there?

Rod

#12 S. Weaver

S. Weaver

Dispatcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 01:03 PM

I've just been using AE. I have a lot more control over the activity swap, and I can change train orders and other things if I've swapped to different number locomotive.

Also, be aware that some of Andre's traffic trains are user trains in other activities. If you change the consist, say, to an AI locomotive, it won't come up as a user in a subsequent activity.

#13 joebandit

joebandit

joebandit

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 01:28 PM

Consist names can only be 30 characters or shorter,any longer and the SIm will balk or not even find it.Something else,when giving a description to your consists,try to make the name the same,it will be easier for YOU to find it in the AE after creation.

#14 august1929

august1929

Railroad President

• Commercial Vendor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 02:02 PM

Something else,when giving a description to your consists,try to make the name the same,it will be easier for YOU to find it in the AE after creation.

Good idea - all mine start with my initials REM followed by the Railroad, engine type then brief consist details - all except for Gaetan's stock which have GB after my initials.

Makes for easy deletion when required.

Rod

#15 sevenbrewer

sevenbrewer

Porter

• Valued Customer
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 07:15 PM

I tried using AE but all of the engines show up as having a bar coupler. That is the source of the problem I think. con builder says there is a mismatch in type of coupler (well duh bar vs automatic). Why the heck does this stuff have bar couplers? Activity master now shows the engines, but when I try to swap the cars it just crashes.

#16 sevenbrewer

sevenbrewer

Porter

• Valued Customer
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 07:16 PM

oh, and incidently, I have had no trouble substituting other engines into activities.

#17 august1929

august1929

Railroad President

• Commercial Vendor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 10:31 PM

Well I don't know what is causing it - I have just swapped out the following consist without any problems (BTW I haven't paid attention in doing this to MT or LD, so it might not work properly in the activity - swapped out just to test).

I don't get the mismatched coupler message in Conbuilder

Here is a screen of the AE swap on my machine.

Perhaps it is to do with your set up - anyone else got any suggestions, cause I'm running out - got to get to work sad.gif

Attached Files

• Attached File  AE.jpg   82.85KB   0 downloads

#18 august1929

august1929

Railroad President

• Commercial Vendor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 10:33 PM

Swapped consist

Attached Files

#19 wmghobbs

wmghobbs

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 08:11 PM

A couple of thoughts on this problem. First, Andre usually made his consists "Read Only" so that when you attempt to make changes, they might be rejected by the operating system even though you think you have saved them. I got caught by this a couple of times until I looked at the properties of the consist file.

Second, the new locomotives have auto couplers on front and bar to the tender and the tenders have bar in front and auto to the rear. So the locos and tenders do have both kinds of couplers. None of the other equipment has anything but auto couplers. The locos and tenders all have the same bar couplers so there should not be any problem mixing locos and tenders, but if a tender got located in mid train, that could be a problem. Also, I believe the original equipment had auto couplers on both ends of the locos and tenders so any mixing of new and old locos and tenders might cause a problem.
Other than those items, I cannot imagine what would cause the problems that have been mentioned.

Bill Hobbs

#20 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 08:47 PM

Bill:

A reason those files would get to you as "read only" was because I would often burn the unzipped folders to CD and forward to you. Burning to CD automatically makes the folder "read only". Once off the CD and on the hard drive the files then have to have the properties changed to "read/write".

Andre