Photo

Cal-P Update

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
86 replies to this topic

#41 Ed Sand

Ed Sand

Ticket Inspector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 10:30 PM

I see your points, but Cajon is also an extreme example of wholesale track and alignment changes. For other routes, such as Stevens Pass or Donner Pass, the changes wouldn't be nearly as drastic.

Since I assume that the choice of era must sometimes be a contentious one for route creators, it surprises me that this hasn't been done yet as a sort of compromise.

#42 Genma Saotome

Genma Saotome

Dispatcher

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 10:16 AM

I think another possibility of why there are not multiple era routes is that by the time a given route is completed the creator(s) are pretty well sick and tired of it and are ready to move on to something completely different and more exciting. Mowing the lawn fer instance. biggrin.gif

For myself, I would not be interested in updating the Cal-P to the modern era as I'm not at all interested in the modern era. Mowing the lawn really would be more interesting! laugh.gif laugh.gif

#43 sfmacla

sfmacla

Railfan

• Valued Customer
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 10:15 PM

Just found this topic and am wondering if Cal-P is still a working project or was ever finished and offered to the public?
Mac

#44 Genma Saotome

Genma Saotome

Dispatcher

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 08:40 AM

Yes, it is still an active project with progress of one sort or another occuring daily. Quite a bit has been added these past few months in the east bay cities of Oakland, Emeryville, and Berkeley. As you can expect from any big project, work is not always in a smooth, forward direction but the trend, overall, is positive. In the last year several hundred custom buildings have been constructed, each patterned after the actual buildings on each site.

Most recent was the addition of Oakland's Outer Harbor area. Here's a example of the sort of work being done (n.b., the model shown are not finished) http://www.elvastowe...?showtopic=2090.

Some fun shots I took around Christmas (very large images): http://www.elvastowe...st=0#entry13218

At present I'm working w/ Paul Gausden who is adding features to the export plug-in he's written for Google's Sketch-up Cad software.

SLW has also added several new members to help w/ the project.

#45 sfmacla

sfmacla

Railfan

• Valued Customer
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 04:19 PM

Glad to hear it is still alive. Any idea when we salivating types can expect it to be ready for the marketplace? Also, will it run under XP?

#46 century242

century242

Dispatcher

• Sacramento Locomotive Works
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 01:33 PM

It will run under XP.
As for a time frame... we are aiming for sometime later this year.

#47 joebandit

joebandit

joebandit

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 05:34 PM

Where's the liberty ships? Or am I too far down river?
Surprised Me, the water is about the right color, as I remember it. Looking good so far.

#48 Genma Saotome

Genma Saotome

Dispatcher

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 09:57 PM

Joe, we have scale drawings for several ships. You know anybody who wants to build them for us? smile.gif They're far enough offshore so they don't need to be very detailed and as for skins, well, up until the early 60's all the ships parked in the Ghost Fleet were painted in red oxide so that too should be easy enough.

Heck, I even have track laid under the river... I was even going to make a .eng file for a Victory Ship on it's way up river to Port Chicago... but, no ship on hand.

#49 joebandit

joebandit

joebandit

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 12:05 PM

How about that Guy that put the ones up on Train-sim? A normal Cargo ship or tanker would be appropriate too. Too bad You can't capture the smell from that area too.

Not to be giving my age away or nothing, but I can still remember riding the ferry across from San Rafael to Richmond before the bridge was put in, lots of trackwork in Richmond, doing that too?

Edited by joebandit, 21 March 2008 - 12:08 PM.

#50 Guest_ATSFSD9_*

Guest_ATSFSD9_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2008 - 04:23 PM

Looking great on the Cal-P Line Route will this be a Payware Route.

#51 Genma Saotome

Genma Saotome

Dispatcher

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 06:55 AM

> Too bad You can't capture the smell from that area too.

The smell of Martinez / Avon? Hmmmm. We could advise the player not to bathe for a week and then the night before have a meal of beans w/ a huge amount a garlic bread. That should approximate Martinez rather well, I would think.

An old Bill Cosby routine:

Bill (to hot date): Uhhh, that's from the, um, refinery.
Hot Date: I certainly hope so.

When I first lived in the Bay Area it was near Martinez. Some winter days the fog would rise up out of the delta and spill over the hills to where I lived. You could hardly see 20 feet. And with the fog was the smell. Phew. I worked w/ a whole bunch of old guys who had spent their whole life there... a lot of old Italian guys. Sons of sardine fisherman for the most part. What a bunch they were, oh lordy, funny, and coarse.... about a quarter of their vocabulary was an obscentity.

and

> will this be a Payware Route?

That's the plan.

#52 kodachrome9319

kodachrome9319

Mechanic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 06:05 PM

QUOTE(Genma Saotome @ Apr 9 2008, 6:36 AM) View Post

> Too bad You can't capture the smell from that area too.

The smell of Martinez / Avon? Hmmmm. We could advise the player not to bathe for a week and then the night before have a meal of beans w/ a huge amount a garlic bread. That should approximate Martinez rather well, I would think.

An old Bill Cosby routine:

Bill (to hot date): Uhhh, that's from the, um, refinery.
Hot Date: I certainly hope so.
When I first lived in the Bay Area it was near Martinez. Some winter days the fog would rise up out of the delta and spill over the hills to where I lived. You could hardly see 20 feet. And with the fog was the smell. Phew. I worked w/ a whole bunch of old guys who had spent their whole life there... a lot of old Italian guys. Sons of sardine fisherman for the most part. What a bunch they were, oh lordy, funny, and coarse.... about a quarter of their vocabulary was an obscentity.

and

> will this be a Payware Route?

That's the plan.

C'mon, don't you just love the smell of petroleum in the morning?

It smells like... Victory.

:-)

#53 trainmaster55

trainmaster55

Road Foreman

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 06:30 PM

biggrin.gif
QUOTE(kodachrome9319 @ May 14 2008, 7:46 PM) View Post

C'mon, don't you just love the smell of petroleum in the morning?

It smells like... Victory.

:-)

Cm'on I would rather be smelling diesel, or steam biggrin.gif !

#54 kodachrome9319

kodachrome9319

Mechanic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 02:38 PM

QUOTE(trainmaster55 @ May 20 2008, 6:11 PM) View Post

biggrin.gif

Cm'on I would rather be smelling diesel, or steam biggrin.gif !

Yeah, yeah, it's called sarcasm... The smell of petroleum isn't too bad, and smelling diesel for a long time does get neausating.

SMW

#55 Guest_ATSFSD9_*

Guest_ATSFSD9_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2008 - 05:35 AM

This will be a great Riute I love the SP always have,This will go from Sacramento too Oakland correct.Also will it go from Sacramento to Elvas Tower.

#56 Genma Saotome

Genma Saotome

Dispatcher

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 09:59 PM

The track is laid from the ferry slips on the Oakland Mole to Elvas Tower in Sacramento.

What's been holding things up have been the huge number of buildings to make. There are already over 300 entries in the routes' .ref file for "Cal-P_Bldgs". A majority of those are not individual buildings but groups, often whole city blocks, so the actual number of individual buildings in probably somewhere between 500 and 1000. And there is plenty of that sort of work still to do.

FWIW, anybody who likes to work w/ google's Sketchup and is interested in helping me out doing these structures, please drop me a PM. I really could use some help.

#57 Guest_ATSFSD9_*

Guest_ATSFSD9_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2008 - 08:08 PM

How many Miles is this Route from Elvas Tower too Oakland.

#58 Genma Saotome

Genma Saotome

Dispatcher

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 07:18 AM

QUOTE(ATSFSD9 @ Jun 9 2008, 7:49 PM) View Post
How many Miles is this Route from Elvas Tower too Oakland.

Dunno w/o looking it up but I'd guess around 110.

#59 century242

century242

Dispatcher

• Sacramento Locomotive Works
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 11:37 PM

It is approximately 92, plus or minus a few tenths

#60 SAR704

SAR704

Dispatcher

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 02:19 AM

QUOTE(Genma Saotome @ Jun 8 2008, 2:10 PM) View Post

The track is laid from the ferry slips on the Oakland Mole to Elvas Tower in Sacramento.

What's been holding things up have been the huge number of buildings to make. There are already over 300 entries in the routes' .ref file for "Cal-P_Bldgs". A majority of those are not individual buildings but groups, often whole city blocks, so the actual number of individual buildings in probably somewhere between 500 and 1000. And there is plenty of that sort of work still to do.

FWIW, anybody who likes to work w/ google's Sketchup and is interested in helping me out doing these structures, please drop me a PM. I really could use some help.

Are you talking industrial structures here, or shops/office type stuff?