Photo

Cal-P Update

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
86 replies to this topic

#21 mjs2101

mjs2101

Engineer

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 08:23 AM

Check out this thread at Elvas Tower for a couple of update shots.....

http://www.elvastowe...?showtopic=1153

Mykel

#22 century242

century242

Dispatcher

• Sacramento Locomotive Works
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 08:31 AM

Screens have been deleted to comply with forum rules...even though the rules only say they apply to the Screen Shot Forum

#23 cr-stagg

cr-stagg

Superintendent

• Beta Tester
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 10:22 AM

Eric,
Looks GREAT!

But Marc has an 800x600 pic posting rule. Would be noce to be able to see w/o scrolling right to left. smile.gif

#24 Genma Saotome

Genma Saotome

Dispatcher

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 07:53 AM

QUOTE(cr-stagg @ Oct 3 2006, 11:04 AM) View Post

Eric,
Looks GREAT!

But Marc has an 800x600 pic posting rule. Would be noce to be able to see w/o scrolling right to left. smile.gif

Charles, those shots over at Elvas Tower are 1600 x 1200 taken on my 21" monitor, which is the norm on my PC. I posted them that size so folks could see how much you get at that resolution. Next time I put some out there I'll use a smaller size.

#25 century242

century242

Dispatcher

• PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 08:54 AM

Between West Sacramento and Davis on the Yolo Causeway

IPB Image

#26 Hack

Hack

The Big Kahuna

• 3DTrains Admin
  • 8,076 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 10:59 PM

QUOTE(cr-stagg @ Oct 3 2006, 11:04 AM) View Post

No worries - we'll soon have in place a means to allow whatever size, and it won't affect the forum screen. I'll announce when ready. smile.gif

And yes, the screens look great! smile.gif

Cheers!
Marc

#27 century242

century242

Dispatcher

• PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 01:01 PM

IPB Image

#28 petersde

petersde

Motorman

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 05:55 PM

Spot on! biggrin.gif Now that is the Cal-P! Not to mention, the Fairfield-Vacaville-Dixon area. smile.gif

This one has definitely been worth the wait.

Dave

#29 century242

century242

Dispatcher

• PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 01:22 PM

QUOTE(petersde @ Oct 6 2006, 06:37 PM) View Post

Spot on! biggrin.gif Now that is the Cal-P! Not to mention, the Fairfield-Vacaville-Dixon area. smile.gif

This one has definitely been worth the wait.

Dave

Dave,
it is slowly coming together with Dave's expertise.

I have posted another screen at the above link (the one Dave posted a few days ago) that just did not look right scaled down to 800x600. It is in the Berkely area or just a bit east showing some of the industrial section.

#30 ckawahara

ckawahara

Conductor

• Beta Tester
  • 334 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 05:04 PM

For those interested, the site www.sacramentolocomotivworks.com is also being updated.....

#31 petersde

petersde

Motorman

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 07:19 AM

Thanks Erik for the tip. That Berkeley shot is awesome! biggrin.gif

Dave

#32 sstyrnol

sstyrnol

Santa Fe Nut

• Beta Tester
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 10:43 AM

Awesome!!! biggrin.gif

#33 BNSF fan

BNSF fan

Stationmaster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 07:57 PM

Nice job guys! Though i wish you wouldnt have taken my modeler sad.gif sad.gif

#34 fmarket

fmarket

Mechanic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 01:31 PM

Just out of curiosity, about when will it be realeased?

#35 wpfan

wpfan

Stationmaster

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 02:01 PM

Hi fmarket,

The best answer I can give is it will be released when it gets done, we are working on it quite actively and there is no date set for its release. Keep your eyes on this space though.

#36 Ed Sand

Ed Sand

Ticket Inspector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 09:56 PM

I've long maintained that route builders are missing a commercial opportunity in not creating "era ad-ons" to their routes. Once the majority of the work is done for a route, changing era isn't often a significant amount of work (small changes in track structure, buildings, rolling stock, etc.) and could produce new markets.

For example, I already own Cajon Pass, but would easily pay again to have it back dated to, say, the 1950s. I'm sure those who like the modern era would do the same for a route like Donner Pass.

#37 atsf37l

atsf37l

Railroad President

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 02:42 PM

QUOTE(ac44kid @ Jun 4 2007, 12:03 PM) View Post

3DTrainStuff has done it for both Cajon and Tehachapi Pass

No, they haven't. They have released equipment from a previous era to run on the lines, true enough.

But they haven't changed things like: bidirectional signalling; the dreaded line change at Summit (put back the yards, wye, depot, section houses and operators houses, caboose cutoff track, etc); the removal of the 1967 SP Palmdale Cutoff; the restoration of the shops and original yards at San Bernardino; the restoration of the original Barstow Yard and shops; and the eastern connection to the Mojave district from the mainline on the Cajon Pass Route.

They haven't: restored the SP and Santa Fe shops to Bakersfield; restored the original Santa Fe Bakersfield Depot; removed the wind generators from the hills; retored the roundhouse and shops at Mojave on Tehachapi Pass II.

There has also been no restoration of fuel and water stations for the steam engines they have provided.

So no, they haven't. Nor do they seem to be inclined to do so.

#38 Genma Saotome

Genma Saotome

Dispatcher

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 08:49 PM

As I think about this issue you've raised I'm pretty sure an era change would be easier if you were going from a much older date to the modern era than it would be to back date something.

My reasoning is that like the real railroads, the change from old to current involves mostly deletions and maybe just a few additions. The other way around would likely require a fair bit of additions and changes to track, if nothing more than to add a lot more local industries. And if you're going to switch a site, it might as well look halfway decent, so there may be a fair bit of artwork that's needed too. Adding those industrial sites might very well break up existing nodes and we all know that once signalling is in you really don't want to be changing your .tdb

So I think unless you planned for it upfront by reserving way back when a clean, track completed, non-signalled copy of the route, you're going to have a hard time, perhaps impossible time, back dating the modern route.

#39 atsf37l

atsf37l

Railroad President

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 08:54 AM

You are absolutely right, Dave. The Summit of Cajon pass is a classic example of what you speak. There were originally many yard tracks, a wye, buildings, roads and contours not found there today and they were all another 50 feet or so higher than the existing track.

The modern version has two straight mainlines with a set of crossovers. In order to do that area justice the whole route would have to be planned around that track arrangement at Summit. It would be impossible to backdate such a drastically changed area. And which era do you choose? ATSF/UP only without the Palmdale Cutoff as in pre 1965 or so (anything beyond that had earth movers all over the hill!)? 1967 ATSF/UP and SP? 1970 after the line change? You just can't please everybody! tongue.gif

I was in hopes that Patrick Wise would have done the original Summit in his version, as he did the original Redondo Junction with the killer 15 MPH curve and without the flyover, but alas. I'm just so pleased with his LA to San Bernardino that I can't fault his decisions in any way.

In retrospect, it may be a wise thing to do routes like you are, back in the days of steam. Then they could be updated by lopping off things, just as real railroads have done. Unfortunately, there are too few of us vintage guys around to support such a path for too many routes. laugh.gif foof.gif

#40 fmarket

fmarket

Mechanic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 04:34 PM

QUOTE(wpfan @ Jun 3 2007, 1:42 PM) View Post

Hi fmarket,

The best answer I can give is it will be released when it gets done, we are working on it quite actively and there is no date set for its release. Keep your eyes on this space though.

Thanks!