Photo

Cal-P Update

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
86 replies to this topic

#1 century242

century242

Dispatcher

• Sacramento Locomotive Works
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 07:33 PM

After months of pretty much silence about our Southern Pacific Cal-P Route (Sacramento to Oakland 1950) I have a few progress screens. We are using Scale Rail and have rebuilt the whole route from the ground up. The grades are as close to accurate as is humanly possible with MSTS and we have also been refinning several new ideas as we progress.
Now as for the "modern" equipment in the pics, I just did a full reinstall of MSTS and have not installed the 1950 equipment.

Attached Files

#2 century242

century242

Dispatcher

• PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 07:35 PM

Track #1 pproaching the Suisun Bay Bridge, track #2 is behind us on a different grade.

Attached Files

#3 century242

century242

Dispatcher

• PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 07:39 PM

Crossing the Sacramento River overflow basin on one of the many trestles that fill the stretch between Sacramento and Davis. This area is usually floods in winter when the river nears the top of its banks. The Gov't opens weirs further up stream to ease the pressure on the levees in the area. During summer this is rich agriculture land.

Attached Files

#4 petersde

petersde

Motorman

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 08:47 PM

Erik,

Inspiring screenshots biggrin.gif ! Your strategy is absolutely on target wink.gif . In running the enhanced Cajon Pass route, as well as my own replacement in Tehachapi II, ScaleRail is the top of the heap. Kudos for the bridgework and trestles! laugh.gif I pass these landmarks each day between Benicia and West Sacramento, and you and your team have hit the proverbial nail on the head. I can see and feel the steam and early diesels plying this route--without even having the route.

When the Cal-P is complete, the community will have yet another key part of California railroading and history in its hands. I am sure there is lots more to do, but no matter the wait, I will be in line for the finished product. Great vision and great work cool.gif !

Keep sluggin'

Dave

#5 sstyrnol

sstyrnol

Santa Fe Nut

• Beta Tester
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 11:02 PM

Dude,

do you know I almost gave up on that route??? THIS must be one of those routes I eagerly await yet don't talk about every day because you simply do not hear much about them (no pun intended).

Seriously guys, awesome work. As Dave, I'll be right in line when you guys actually come out with it! laugh.gif

EDIT: Mixed up names... blush.gif

Edited by sstyrnol, 18 April 2005 - 11:03 PM.

#6 century242

century242

Dispatcher

• PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 10:09 AM

Thanks Guys, this past year has been quite a challenge and comments such as these every few months help us out. We hope to have some more good news in a month or so.

#7 jbt1024

jbt1024

Superintendent

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 05:12 PM

Happily waiting to run Marc's F'Units on it tongue.gif

Thanks,
Jonathan

#8 Geekman

Geekman

Stationmaster

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 07:33 AM

Geez Erik, now you got me slobbering all over my shirt again.

I, like quite a few others, have been quietly and patiently waiting for this route to come to fruition. Be assured that interest has not lagged in the least - at least on my part, and that when it's ready you will have my order.

The hard work you are putting into it shows in your shots. It looks supurb and I have no doubt it will be a very high quality product.

Take your time and don't burn yourself out!

Larry Steiner

#9 NewEngalandRailFan

NewEngalandRailFan

Mechanic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 02:57 PM

Erik, That definatly looks really really nice biggrin.gif

#10 Guest_mikokat_*

Guest_mikokat_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2005 - 08:49 AM

OMG! You got me all worked up! I hate you! I WANT! I WANT! I WANT! laugh.gif

#11 sstyrnol

sstyrnol

Santa Fe Nut

• Beta Tester
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 01 May 2005 - 01:18 AM

Yeah I have been looking forward to this particular route as well! Can't wait to see the splendor of a 50's California been revitalised in VScale.

Edited by sstyrnol, 01 May 2005 - 01:18 AM.

#12 homefix213

homefix213

Brakeman

• Valued Customer
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 01 May 2005 - 05:05 AM

Have thoroughly enjoyed the engines purchased from you guys (UP SD90 set "Digitrains?") and look forward to this creation as well. That area of California encompasses a lot of different scenery will it all be part of this route?

Have a GR-8 day & "God Bless" ..... Don biggrin.gif

#13 Genma Saotome

Genma Saotome

Dispatcher

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 01 May 2005 - 09:24 AM

Don, do you have something specific in mind about the scenery or are you asking where the route actually goes?

#14 century242

century242

Dispatcher

• PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 07:38 PM

Here is a new shot from the Crockett area. The scenery is incomplete, but you can see the bridge for US40 in the background. The engines are only in beta status.

Attached Files

#15 jbt1024

jbt1024

Superintendent

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 12:50 PM

Wow man that looks nice, even though part of the bridge is floating, it looks awesome, any update on this, I am really getting excited to see this out. No rush since you have the new job, justa anxious Iguess laugh.gif

Thanks alot and thanks for building this fine looking route,
Jonathan

#16 Shannon

Shannon

New Hire

• Valued Customer
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 08:17 PM

Someone get Larry a bib laugh.gif

#17 al1218

al1218

Fireman

• Valued Customer
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 07:42 PM

Erik,
Do you have any shots of the depot in Crockett? When I lived in the north bay area, I belonged to a Ntrak (N scale) club that had a layout in the old baggage room.

#18 Genma Saotome

Genma Saotome

Dispatcher

• Valued Customer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 08:08 PM

any update on this, I am really getting excited to see this out.

A lot of work going in the Oakland / Emeryville / Berkeley area of the route. This has a lot of heavy industry and the switching opportunities are considerable.

The major task right now is getting the buildings done and there are a lot of them to do. We have copies of the Sanborn maps from ~1950 as well as SP engineering dept maps so the location and footprint information is well documented. The appearance of each however, is harder to come by as a lot of this area has been redeveloped (e.g., Emeryville is home to Pixar, the movie animators). So naturally there's a need for some creativity under the circumstances.

If you're interested in lending a hand on this, drop me a note.

#19 century242

century242

Dispatcher

• PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 07:51 PM

QUOTE(al1218 @ Jul 15 2006, 06:42 PM)
Erik,
Do you have any shots of the depot in Crockett? When I lived in the north bay area, I belonged to a Ntrak (N scale) club that had a layout in the old baggage room.

Sorry for the delay in replying to this, my main computer went down and I am on my wife's laptop now for a bit.
I do have a few pics of the crockett depot in the sim, but they were on the HD and are now lost unless I want to pay about 500 to recover all the data.

#20 al1218

al1218

Fireman

• Valued Customer
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 11:37 AM

QUOTE(century242 @ Jul 30 2006, 09:51 PM)
QUOTE(al1218 @ Jul 15 2006, 06:42 PM)
Erik,

Sorry for the delay in replying to this, my main computer went down and I am on my wife's laptop now for a bit.
I do have a few pics of the crockett depot in the sim, but they were on the HD and are now lost unless I want to pay about 500 to recover all the data.

That's a major bummer! sad.gif Don't you just love 'puters....they always act up at the most inopertune time! I'll be looking forward to the Cal-P.....I miss the north Bay area.