Photo

What are they talking about!!??

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 rgarber

rgarber

Dispatcher

• All Aboard!
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 07:42 PM

Okay, so I'm coming out of Staples this evening and I look over to my left and I see someone talking on the phone. Yeah, back when I was growing up we used these phones with a rotary dial. Took a phone conversation's worth of time just to dial the number I thought. So I get to my van and in the next vehicle, there's somebody talking on the phone. Makes ya wonder. So I pull out of the mall and onto the road I go until I get to McDonald's. I place my order and just as I pull away from the speaker this guy says, 'what did you say?' I looked at the Mrs. and she says to me, 'he's probably on the phone.' Sure enough, the guy is on the phone. So he hands me my money and I go pick up the stuff and the guy hands us our food right? Well, after he puts down the phone anyway. So I'm thinking 'this is unreal.' I have to make a u-turn and after I do I pull up to the stop light and look to my left. In the SUV beside me is some lady talking on the phone. Out loud I say, 'what are these people talking about!?' The Mrs. says something so the light turns green and off we go. Same SUV pulls up beside me and guess what? She's still talking on the phone!! I turned to my wife and say to her, "I don't even have a phone!" She looks at me and says, 'here, have mine.'

Just makes you wonder. wink.gif

Rich Garber

#2 ckawahara

ckawahara

Conductor

• Beta Tester
  • 334 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 08:25 PM

I too have no cell phone communication tecnology at my fingertips...I carry about $5 in dimes and quarters and hope that there is still a working pay phone around when I need one......but my wife and daughter would not be able to survive without it......if the are not talking, they are text messaging.....

sad.gif ...hell of a state of affairs isn't it!

#3 KurtK

KurtK

Porter

• Valued Customer
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 10:56 PM

Rich,

Despite what I wrote in my e-mail earlier today, I have to chime in here!

I think it was Garrison Keillor who offered an answer for that question: they're mainly talking about where they are. Listen in, next time someone's talking on their phone in a public place..."Yeah, I'm at the store, where are you?" <pause> "No, I'm at the store NOW. I'm going to the..."

laugh.gif

Kurt

#4 kcjones

kcjones

Uncivil engineer

• Valued Customer
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 11:40 PM

We have those pesky things here to. All those people walking about with earache. That is until you get close and you see they one of those Star Trek thingies cupped in their hand. I am sure they are about to disappear in a flash of twinkling lights. tongue.gif

Joking aside. My daughter works with the deaf community. They are a group who have certainly benefited from the texting ability of the mobile phone.

But Rich you can't complain about modern technology. The Canton crews use radio not the telegraph. As is said in another post, there are no telegraph poles anywhere along the track dry.gif

Dick