Photo

Mr. Ming, You've Done It Again!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 atsf37l

atsf37l

Railroad President

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 09:44 AM

This iteration of the StL&NA is incredible! Listen to those Alcos tearing themselves apart! Wonderful. Like the C420s and the T6. LOVE the RS1!

The handling on the Alcos is super. The engines are very responsive (they always did like to scoot) and the dynamics make the hills smooth right out. Fun to run. Gaetan did a great job!

Thanks, Andre for another super route! This thing just feels railroad!

#2 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 10:37 AM

Hi 'ya Herbie!

Thanks for the kudos on the route and ain't them Alco's fun?

My dealings with the prototype Alco's makes it even more fun to run an Alco from BLW. (Belanger Locomotive Works biggrin.gif .)

Talk about scootin'... waaaaay to many years ago I was put into the seat of a leased GBW R3m to do some switching... feeling cocky, the first time I used the throttle on the light engine it literally jumped into action! (Whoa! No EMD GP7/9 here!) Great engine brakes too. That was a fine little hot rod to switch with!

Say, I think Gaetan has those GBW RSm's at Valley Pass, doesn't he? biggrin.gif

Andre

#3 atsf37l

atsf37l

Railroad President

• Route Beta
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 12:23 PM

Only time I ever ran an Alco (diesel that is) was in the San Diego yard. Santa Fe S1 2341. The hostler I was visiting showed me there were two speed ranges, high and low and suggested I slip it into high and see what she does. I swear those trucks did a wheelie! tongue.gif It was Go! Now!

Awesome machines.

#4 zhilton

zhilton

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 05:53 PM

Talk about scootin'... waaaaay to many years ago I was put into the seat of a leased GBW R3m to do some switching... feeling cocky, the first time I used the throttle on the light engine it literally jumped into action! (Whoa! No EMD GP7/9 here!) Great engine brakes too. That was a fine little hot rod to switch with!

The real A&M has an ex-Amtrak engineer that believes in getting up to track speed.... FAST! Last September (Labor Day weekend) chased the passenger train up to Winslow and watched him run around his train. I had decided at this point to wait the 10-15 for the Ft. Smith Turn instead of following the passenger train back down. As soon as the engineer (running #56) got his conductor back on board.... he dumped the fuel to the motor.... BIG old black could of smoke came out the stack and like a flash they were gone. blink.gif I though he was late for a hot date or something. It wasn't until I talked to a friend (volunteer passenger conductor) that I found the hogger was an ex-Amtrak engineer and he gets the train to 40 Mph quickly and keeps it there. laugh.gif

#5 frankoburns

frankoburns

Station Clerk

• Route Beta
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 09:14 AM

Mighty fine job Andre...this route is GREAT...ran it for 6 hours last night....Wife got REAL mad....The combination of your route and Gaetan's Alcos makes for an absorbing time.....(Man, those 6 hours went by fast!!!)Great Job!!!Those RS3M alcos are at valleypass.com...........BTW, Feel free to come by the MOPHOUSE, My MOPAC forum....the link is on my website...........you and Gaetan and anyone else who appreciates fallen flag railroading is welcome................Frank

#6 boundy

boundy

Stationmaster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 10:35 AM

Oh Great Poobah
Ming the Mercefull
Ming the Maker
The A&O is super. Fun to run and great sceans. Got some bad auto drivers at the crossings though. Well back to running

Grasshopper biggrin.gif ph34r.gif tongue.gif

#7 laming

laming

Robber Baron

• V Scale Creations
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 01:16 PM

Thanks all for the kind words of encouragement.

Autos: In MSTS, the level crossings get confused very easily when switching and your train is moving back and forth a lot. During such times they may not stop when they should, and stop when they shouldn't! Just the nature of the beast.

Andre